Macros ratio

Options
So I've started my fitness journey finally! One thing that I've noticed though is I think I am getting way too much carbs.
My stats are 5ft10in 219lbs and at 25% BF. I am currently at 40p/40c/20f split meaning I have 286p/286c/60f but have been reading online that I need to have moderate carbs in order to stimulate body fat % loss.
Is this correct or am I just to remain in deficit and make sure I hit my macro goals?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    Fat (weight) loss comes from a calorie deficit. It doesn't matter what your macros are.
  • Flawsomemfp
    Flawsomemfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My macros are split at 50%carbs 25% fat 25%protein. I am seeing good results. I honestly think macros are more effective than just calorie counting. Embrace the carbs. I find they fuel my workouts i can push harder.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    My macros are 60% carbs, 20% fat, and 20% protein and I've had zero trouble losing 130 lbs so far.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried about total calorie intake. 2828 calories/day seems like a lot, unless you're very active.
  • sabyahmed48
    sabyahmed48 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My macros are 60% carbs, 20% fat, and 20% protein and I've had zero trouble losing 130 lbs so far.

Wow! That's amazing, how long did it take you to lose that much?
  • sabyahmed48
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about total calorie intake. 2828 calories/day seems like a lot, unless you're very active.

I got my calories from using the tdee formula, my bmr came out to 2169 and I multiplied that by 1.375 since I work out 5 days a week for around 75 minutes strength+ cardio and 45-60 minutes when it's just cardio
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Wow! That's amazing, how long did it take you to lose that much?

I stared July 24, 2015. Still have a smidge left to lose. As of yesterday I'm just 1.2 lbs shy of that "magic" medical textbook, take it with a grain of salt, BMI number that would have me as no longer overweight.

ETA: And thanks.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    So I've started my fitness journey finally! One thing that I've noticed though is I think I am getting way too much carbs.
    My stats are 5ft10in 219lbs and at 25% BF. I am currently at 40p/40c/20f split meaning I have 286p/286c/60f but have been reading online that I need to have moderate carbs in order to stimulate body fat % loss.
    Is this correct or am I just to remain in deficit and make sure I hit my macro goals?

Suggest you change your sources of information as that's nonsense.
    You need a calorie deficit to lose body fat - that can be achieved on a low/high/moderate amount of carbs.

Think about how you intend eating for life and start practicing that now.

That's a huge amount of protein by the way and a bit of overkill.

Rather than fixed ratios I preferred protein and fats as minimum goals and the rest of my calorie allowance could come from whatever macro I wanted or needed on the day. Far more flexible,
  • sabyahmed48
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Suggest you change your sources of information as that's nonsense.
    You need a calorie deficit to lose body fat - that can be achieved on a low/high/moderate amount of carbs.

Think about how you intend eating for life and start practicing that now.

That's a huge amount of protein by the way and a bit of overkill.

Rather than fixed ratios I preferred protein and fats as minimum goals and the rest of my calorie allowance could come from whatever macro I wanted or needed on the day. Far more flexible,

I got the ratio from watching a lot of YouTube videos and that was the most recommended, some even suggested trying to get 50% of macros from protein so I went with the most common. Although now I have reduced my calories as in another thread somebody pointed out that I would need to have a 500 calorie deficit before I was at around 2800 calories which was only 100 under my maintenance now I'm aiming for 2400.