How to log Kettlebell Workout?

Options
tartsul
tartsul Posts: 298 Member
How do y'all log kettlebell workouts? Do you count it as weight training or circuit training or as something else? it's kind of in the middle for me, less cardio than a "cardio" workout, but more cardio than just plain weight training.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's a total guess so circuit training (cardio+strength) is as good as anything.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It depends on the work out. If it is a work out that has a lot of swings, burpees, jumps, or other ballistic movements I log it as circuit training.

If I'm using heavier weight, moving slower and have more of a strength focus I log it as strength training. If you want, post an example of your workout and I will tell you how I would log it. FYI, most of the YouTube kettlebell videos are circuit training.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't log them as there's no way of accurately knowing how many calories I've burnt.
  • e1_618
    e1_618 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian michaels shred with weights using a 10kg ball and 4kg dumbbell for the arm work. Am 5ft 6", 70kg and with a hr monitor I clock 308 calories for 30 min workout.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    As told by my kettlebell I instructor

If your doing a mixture of goblet squats,swings and snatches using a callenging weight for you then you will be burning towards the top end of 20 calories per minute.

When I'm mixing up my workout and using my 16kg I usually use 15cal a minute
  • croftie4
    Options
    Oh and I just log under cardio
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I quit logging it on MFP since it just gave me an excuse to eat more. I suspect that if you are doing metcon workouts with kettlebells you are burning more calories than the cardio crowd think you are but when I logged it it was as circuit training.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    croftie4 wrote: »
    As told by my kettlebell I instructor

If your doing a mixture of goblet squats,swings and snatches using a callenging weight for you then you will be burning towards the top end of 20 calories per minute.

When I'm mixing up my workout and using my 16kg I usually use 15cal a minute

If you're using that high of a burn, I suggest logging only for the time you are actually moving the KB, rather than the total workout time. Not sure what your KB instructor based this on aside from wanting to make people feel good about the class. I don't credit anything over 10 cals per minute, including KB/TRX class. (No doubt there are lots of people who can maintain a harder pace than I can.)
  • croftie4
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

If you're using that high of a burn, I suggest logging only for the time you are actually moving the KB, rather than the total workout time. Not sure what your KB instructor based this on aside from wanting to make people feel good about the class. I don't credit anything over 10 cals per minute, including KB/TRX class. (No doubt there are lots of people who can maintain a harder pace than I can.)

It's based on an American sports study which recorded 20 cal per minute but that was with participants doing swings and snatches. I know a lot of heavy KB MFP use 20 cals but like I said I normally use 15cal a minute. Any rest period is seconds so heart rate is still racing. If I was only doing free weight type of workout with the KB's then I would perhaps quote lower. I generally only eat 1/2 my exercise calories back so there's room for error.