Any vegetarians out there??

Options
Hey, I am new here and I am just looking for some vegetarian myfitnesspal-friends ;)
I have been rejecting meat for the last 5 years and I am very happy with that. No iron or B12 or protein deficit at all! :D
My doctor even told me that my iron is fantastic for a woman my age. :))

So... all just a matter of how well you keep track of what you eat all day... I guess.
Still need to lose weight. It would be much easier if Chips and Chocolate had meat in them :P

=Veramazing=

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! Vegan here, and just like you, my levels are great without supplementing! It IS possible with a well-rounded diet!
  • turbofiregirl
    Options
    I am a veggie too... But, an Indian veggie, so, the foods might kind of differ. The only problem I have had with that is that I dont get a lot of protein from Indian veggie foods. they are full of carbs.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I recommitted to vegetarianism this week after being omni the last few months. I have now been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for four days and plan to stay vegetarian this time since I feel better as one. Never been a big meat eater anyways and other than having low iron based anemia that I control with an iron pill each day, I am in great health nutritionally.
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Vegi for 20 yrs here !

Nice too meet you all :)
  • njkkc
    njkkc Posts: 2
    Options
    Also vegetarian working towards vegan, but I haven't been as successful with meeting iron and protein needs without supplements.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Vegan for 10 months here. Vegan for the animals, for the hungry people, for the environment. Vegan and LOVING it.

:)
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Almost-vegetarian here! Am coming off eating red meat EVERY SINGLE DAY for my entire existence, so I DO still have salmon every once in a while to help me adjust. Been meat free (sans the fishies) since January and won't ever eat meat again...love it! A
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian here! Going back after an almost 2 year hiatus. I love the way being a vegetarian makes me feel about myself and it makes my body feel better too!
  • appleskye
    appleskye Posts: 54
    Options
    Welcome! I've been vegetarian all my life, with a few forays into veganism... However to many people's surprise, being a vegetarian doesn't necessarily mean being healthy. I'm trying to up the protein and cut the carbohydrates (by eating less of my beloved pasta). Feel free to add me everyone, and we can share recipes (?!) or just motivate each other :)
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 6 months now! LOVING it! :) Only thing I struggle with is trying not to eat too much cheese! I tried to be vegan, but it's difficult.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm coming onto my 8th year of being vegetarian (August 16 is my anniversary! haha). I was bad in the beginning.. I was 17 and not really sure what I was doing so I had low B12 levels and needed to take a supplement along with folic acid. Looking back too, in university I would always have to have afternoon naps because I was so tired. I definitely think it's because I wasn't eating as I should.. just lots of carbs and the normal cafeteria food.

Anyway, now I know that I have more options than just the 'fake meats' and have been creative making my own veggie burgers and adding chickpeas and lentils to jazz up my foods. Greek yogurt is also fabulous for protein and tastes good. Anyway, feel free to add me if you want ideas or to switch recipes. I have my food diary open to my friends! I always get excited when I see vegetarians on MFP!
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian on progress. I would love to have more vegetarian/vegan friends on MFP! I've never been much of a meat-eater, but there's something psycological about cutting it out that makes me miss it. It's also hard to stand up to the critics who think they're so smart. Together we can be strong! :happy:
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hello. Vegetarian for over 20 years myself. Tried to go all the way to vegan but just can walk away from skim milk and real swiss cheese. I'm the perfect example of of the person an omni will tell " You don't look like a vegetarian". There is a misconception that veg ppl cant be couch potato/junk food junkies and I am certainly proof of that.

Like asteroidvsmars I started out relying on packaged fake meats but found out quickly how much better "homemade" is(though I'm shamelessly addicted to MorningStar Farms hot & spicy soysage!). There are so many great low cal veg recipes available on the net that there really isn't a reason to rely on high sodium/calorie packaged products except for the occasional convenience meal on a busy day. Besides, fresh prepared tastes better, is nutritionally better and you can be so much more creative.

Go Veg!
  • mindfulmunching
    mindfulmunching Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just joined last week and I have been wanting a post like this to come up because I would also love some vegetarian friends to share recipes, tips, etc. I do take a vitamin B12 supplement because I eat no animal products, except for an occasional cheese splurge. I will be befriending you all!
  • MsMadmagic
    MsMadmagic Posts: 66
    Options
    Been Vegetarian for over 20 years now and would never go back. I attempt to go Vegan but always struggle with cheese and eggs as I love the Quorn products which contain egg!!!
    Always happy to meet and chat to other Veggies so feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
  • caity8880
    caity8880 Posts: 4
    Options
    I don't know that I can call myself a vegetarian, but I don't eat meat 95% of the time, and never make it for myself at home. My food journal is open to my friends and I would love to have some fellow non-meat eaters to share recipes and meal ideas with!
  • sarahsfaith
    sarahsfaith Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I've been a vegan for three years now!i'm actually trying to gain weight but I would love to have all of you as my MFP friends :)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and definitely interested in veganism (but that's a work in a progress for now)

I do rely on a fair amount of packaged fake meat products but I do make a TON of lentil, bean, veggie dishes from scratch too so I like to think my diet is fairly well rounded.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I'd like more veggie/vegan friends for sure!
  • Drpmkumaran
    Drpmkumaran Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian or rather lacto-vegetarian from birth... I have never had any deficiencies... Milk is a good source of B12... So if you take milk regularly then you can safely cut off your b12 supplements... And you do gave iron rich foods which are veggies... And nice to see a lot of vegetarians here... That's really great:-)
  • Pat11d
    Pat11d Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, Nice to meet you.
    I've been Ovo lacto vegetarian for 2 1/2years.
    Glad to see you on here and wish you best of luck.
    Feel free to add me if you like.
    Laters~