Alternates for bananas in smoothies?

Options
2»

Replies

• ReneeDawalga5100
    ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie every day and it is simple with smoothie kits I make once every other week. I use the little containers that you can buy deli meat in because they stack well in my freezer.

140 grams of frozen fruit (I buy mixed bags or whatever is on sale) and 140 grams is a serving for 70 calories.
    1 cup (by weight) of either spinach or kale fresh.
    1/2 banana broken into small pieces.

By freezing the greens and bananas with the frozen fruit, you can buy them on sale or discounted because they will spoil soon. Also it makes a cold smoothing. 1.5 ounces of liquid.

That is what I will put in the container. Every morning I mix a container with either skim milk/water or orange juice/water and it is amazing and low calorie.

Some times I will add 1/2 a serving of dry oats (by weight again) and truthfully so good.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie every day and it is simple with smoothie kits I make once every other week. I use the little containers that you can buy deli meat in because they stack well in my freezer.

140 grams of frozen fruit (I buy mixed bags or whatever is on sale) and 140 grams is a serving for 70 calories.

By freezing the greens and bananas with the frozen fruit, you can buy them on sale or discounted because they will spoil soon. Also it makes a cold smoothing. 1.5 ounces of liquid.

That is what I will put in the container. Every morning I mix a container with either skim milk/water or orange juice/water and it is amazing and low calorie.

Some times I will add 1/2 a serving of dry oats (by weight again) and truthfully so good.

Can you taste the spinach or kale?
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I put a lot of spinach in my smoothies and I can't taste it at all. I've never tried kale.
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Can you taste the spinach or kale?

No way. I only put 1 cup by weight which to me is way more than a cup.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    You can try avocado. The other flavours will cover it up and it will make it nice and creamy. Plus omega 3's!
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    You can try avocado. The other flavours will cover it up and it will make it nice and creamy. Plus omega 3's!

Never been a fan of those. I don't ever buy them.
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    rhiawiz57 wrote: »
    i always use protein powder in mine, Designer Whey blends really well. for fruit (i don't really like bananas), I do frozen mango cubes, mixed berries, and then add spinach and sometimes ripe avocado for yummy creaminess.

Can you taste the spinach at all?

i seriously cannot! it just makes the whole shake kind of taste "fresh". i use a handful. now it LOOKS a little yucky because of the green, but it tastes awesome.
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    I'll definitely have to try the spinach. Maybe I could convince my kid he doesn't need a smoothie every time I have one. Probably wont happen. He's given every new food I've made a fair try, from fried apples and onions to dandelion greens.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Berries on sale....Aldi has black berries this week for 99c a 6 oz pkg. Buy when cheap only & freeze in zip lock bag. I do the same with strawberries. Easy to pop some into a smoothie.
    BTW,Dollar Tree has small bags of frozen fruit for a $1.
    If you eat beans,a 1/2 C (cooked) added will serve in place of banana.
  • slturner71
    slturner71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Frozen peaches. I detest bananas, but the peaches give it a nice smooth texture.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about guar gum, but I use 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum in my protein shakes and it makes it the consistency of a milkshake. Available in the gluten free aisle, Amazon or iHerb.com.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Frozen blueberries, oatmeal, cooked rice, cottage cheese any of those will thicken it up
  • strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I like pears, but you can also use cubes of frozen tofu.
  • strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely have to try the spinach. Maybe I could convince my kid he doesn't need a smoothie every time I have one. Probably wont happen. He's given every new food I've made a fair try, from fried apples and onions to dandelion greens.

The spinach can give it a funky smell, but the flavor is hardly noticeable unless you use a disproportionate amount of it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Fresh pineapple works great too! It's not lumpy or stringy at all in my ninja blender.
  • Franopoly
    Franopoly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Roasted sweet potato? Just saw this the other day in a smoothie recipe - have not had a chance to try it yet.