Portion You Eat On Your Exercise Calories

Options
How much portion you eat on your exercise calories? Because what i do is log the minute of my exercise example if the 45 minute moderate cycling give me a 400 calorie burn then i will divide it by 2 and the 200 calorie is what should i eat for short the half of exercise calories. Am i doing correct? Or anyone can give me a better choice how to eat your exercise calories thanks

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There is no rule or correct portion. If you choose a value, it's just you choosing to have a bigger calorie deficit than you told mfp you wanted.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Every single one, everyone knows exercise cals taste the best!
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Nope, not for me because most of MFP users here said that eat only a portion of you exercise cals if it is from MFP calculation (I'm referring to MFP calculation) but if it's from a Heart Rate Monitor then you should eat all the given calorie by heart rate monitor. I got some knowledge about the exercise cals because i've been long to researching about the topic. Im asking above about portion of MFP calculation
  • ferd_ttp5
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »
    Nope, not for me because most of MFP users here said that eat only a portion of you exercise cals if it is from MFP calculation (I'm referring to MFP calculation) but if it's from a Heart Rate Monitor then you should eat all the given calorie by heart rate monitor. I got some knowledge about the exercise cals because i've been long to researching about the topic. Im asking above about portion of MFP calculation

I always ate all of mine even when using mfp... so actually not EVERYONE on here says only eat a portion of them.
    Can you share to me how it is going? Are you still maintaining/losing if you eat all of your exercise calories? I'll be glad if it is good thanks

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Those people also don't know if the MFP is x2 what it should be - that's just a bit of group think!
    Do you really think every MFP exercise estimate is wrong by the same proportion? And for every person?

Most people are also pretty clueless about HRMs too. There's a widespread and naïve belief that a cheap bit of gadgetry that counts heartbeats is accurate for measuring energy.
    Or anyone can give me a better choice how to eat your exercise calories thanks
    If you are just talking about cycling then be wary of MFP's cycling estimates - they are very high if you are riding a decent road bike. 16mph on a roadie compared to 16mph on a heavy MTB off road are going to be wildly different burns for example.

What kind of bike and riding are you doing?
    Do you have access to a power meter?
    Am i doing correct?
    Are you getting the weight loss results you expected over an extended period of time? If yes then you are doing it correctly.
    If not it's actually more likely your food estimates are off.

By the way I always ate back all my exercise calories whether losing or maintaining.
  • ferd_ttp5
    Options
    @sijomial i am riding a road bike and i dont have access to a power meter. Yes i am getting the weight loss result, but not hitting the calorie goals always example if MFP 1800 to lose 1 pound per week for an active person sometimes i dont tend to reach the 1800 calorie goal im ending up 1600 instead of 1800.
  • ferd_ttp5
    Options
    @sijomial all of the numbers calculated by MFP? You are eating it all up?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I always ate all of mine even when using mfp... so actually not EVERYONE on here says only eat a portion of them.
    Can you share to me how it is going? Are you still maintaining/losing if you eat all of your exercise calories? I'll be glad if it is good thanks

Yes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I said I eat all my exercise calories - I didn't say I used MFP's categories. Most of the more usable ones in the MFP database aren't applicable to my exercise. Each person only uses a subset of the database - that's why blanket proportions for everyone are rather silly.

Just about the only MFP estimates I use are for strength training and circuit training as it's impossible to measure so as good a guess as anything.
    Some are useful and credible, some are pointless. e.g. "Elliptical" - taking it easy or going flat out? Which model? What resistance/incline? etc. etc.
    Some are just too broad like 16-20mph for cycling for example, that's a huge range let alone accounting for different terrain and bikes.

For indoor cycle training I use power meter estimates.
    For outdoor cycling I use either Garmin or Strava, for convenience if not accuracy. Strava is mostly reasonable, Garmin underestimates significantly on low intensity rides but generally OK for the rest.
    For rowing on a Concept2 I use the machine's estimate (corrected for weight).
    For general cardio I used to use a HRM that I calibrated to my tested VO2 max and Max HR settings - now I use perceived exertion as a guide as the HRM broke, if a machine measures power I will tend to use that unless the number given is an obvious outlier.
    For indoor Spinning I use perceived exertion and experience (e.g. bike will tell me 700/hr when I know it feels more like 600).
    Walking for exercise I use a formula based on weight and distance.

A bit of common sense goes a long way.

In the end you said you are losing weight but my question was are you losing at the expected rate?
    Everything is an estimate, sometimes inaccuracies will cancel each other out - a healthy rate of loss is the goal, estimating is just a tool to get there.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    In the end you said you are losing weight but my question was are you losing at the expected rate?
    Everything is an estimate, sometimes inaccuracies will cancel each other out - a healthy rate of loss is the goal, estimating is just a tool to get there.

This is the key. If what you are doing has you losing weight as expected, then it's fine. I was eating back ~75% of what my HRM told me I burned, and was losing faster than plan. So I upped it to 100% and am pretty close to plan. Doesn't mean my HRM is 100% accurate for my activities, just that that is the point where everything balances out. I do think I overestimate some of my food calories, so if I'm overestimating exercise, it works out in the end.
  • ferd_ttp5
    Options
    @sijomial thanks for understandable answer it gives me more info and i will do my all best to find out what works for me. Certainly all good most thanks :)
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I think the MFP totals are quite high for cardio...I usually log 1/2 as much as MFP tries to give me for it. I eat those calories if I'm expecially hungry. Some days I'm hungry enough to eat them and some days I'm not...I go by how I feel on whether or not I eat them. Other than my stationary bike riding I work in an office and don't move around a whole lot. I'm losing well I think. I've lost a little over 11lbs since the end of feb. (11 of 40 to my ultimate goal weight)
  • dotwilldoit
    dotwilldoit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It appears to be a mental game. For me, I see the calories mfp computes for running and they appear high, so.... I log a slower pace than I actually ran .. works to reduce that overage and also eat about half back, sometimes more, considering yesterday I ate them all back. Haha!

That mental game works for me. Ymmv
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you use MFP as intended you eat all of them.