Cooking on Valentines Day??

Options
lizard9800
lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
Is anyone else staying home and cooking a nice meal for Valentines Day instead of going out? Just wondering what others are making...

My boyfriend and I take turns every year cooking what the other person requests. This is my year to cook but he is being supportive so I get to pick the meal to make sure it is healthy. He really likes pork and a side dish if there are good recipes out there...

Replies

• lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else staying home and cooking a nice meal for Valentines Day instead of going out? Just wondering what others are making...

My boyfriend and I take turns every year cooking what the other person requests. This is my year to cook but he is being supportive so I get to pick the meal to make sure it is healthy. He really likes pork and a side dish if there are good recipes out there...
  • garimac
    garimac Posts: 174
    Options
    antree, side and dessert for 475 calories

baked apples with cherries and almonds
    Ingredients
    1/3 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
    3 tablespoons chopped almonds
    1 tablespoon wheat germ
    1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    6 small Golden Delicious apples, about 1 3/4 pounds total weight
    1/2 cup apple juice
    1/4 cup water
    2 tablespoons dark honey
    2 teaspoons walnut oil or canola oil

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350 F.

In a small bowl, toss together the cherries, almonds, wheat germ, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg until all the ingredients are evenly distributed. Set aside.

The apples can be left unpeeled, if you like. To peel the apples in a decorative fashion, with a vegetable peeler or a sharp knife, remove the peel from each apple in a circular motion, skipping every other row so that rows of peel alternate with rows of apple flesh. Working from the stem end, core each apple, stopping 3/4 inch from the bottom.

Divide the cherry mixture evenly among the apples, pressing the mixture gently into each cavity. Arrange the apples upright in a heavy ovenproof frying pan or small baking dish just large enough to hold them. Pour the apple juice and water into the pan. Drizzle the honey and oil evenly over the apples, and cover the pan snugly with aluminum foil. Bake until the apples are tender when pierced with a knife, 50 to 60 minutes.

Transfer the apples to individual plates and drizzle with the pan juices. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Nutritional Analysis(per serving)Serving size: 1 apple
    Calories 179 Monounsaturated fat 2 g
    Protein 2 g Cholesterol 0 mg
    Carbohydrate 37 g Sodium 5 mg
    Total fat 4 g Fiber 5 g
    Saturated fat 0 g

baked chicken and wild rice with onion and tarragon

Ingredients
    6 chicken breast halves
    1 1/2 cups chopped celery
    1 1/2 cups whole pearl onions
    1 teaspoon fresh tarragon
    2 cups unsalted chicken broth
    1 1/2 cups dry white wine
    1 package long grain and wild rice mix and seasoning packet

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 300 F.

Remove skin and bones from chicken breasts and cut into 1/2- to 1-inch pieces. Combine the chicken, celery, pearl onions and tarragon plus 1 cup of the unsalted chicken broth in a nonstick frying pan. Cook on medium heat until the chicken and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.

In a baking dish, combine the wine, remaining 1 cup chicken broth, rice and seasoning packet. Let soak for 30 minutes.

Add the cooked chicken and vegetables to the baking dish. Cover and bake for 60 minutes. Check periodically and add more broth if the rice is too dry. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Analysis(per serving)Calories 300 Cholesterol 49 mg
    Protein 20 g Sodium 300 mg
    Carbohydrate 29 g Fiber 1 g
    Total fat 8 g Potassium 390 mg
    Saturated fat 3 g Calcium 54 mg
    Monounsaturated fat 3 g
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    We always go out for dinner on Valentine's Day.
    This year we're going to Beale Street Cafe.
    It's a Mardi Gras themed restaurant & they even give you beads when they seat you - no flashing required.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    If he likes pork try putting a pork tenderloin in a gallon sized zip lock bag and marinating it in either light balsamic dressing or italian dressing in the fridge all day and then cooking it on the grill to your liking in the evening. Green beans and brown rice as sides and a glass of Argentinian Malbec wine.

Pork will go excellently with garimac's baked apple dessert
  • cmlock
    cmlock Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    WOW the whole 3 courses for that?? Fantastic!
    Great chicken recipe 'Garimac'...will give this one a try.

Any good websites to recommend for some new low fat/healthy recipies??? Mine are getting a little same-same :wink:
  • garimac
    garimac Posts: 174
    Options
    If he likes pork try putting a pork tenderloin in a gallon sized zip lock bag and marinating it in either light balsamic dressing or italian dressing in the fridge all day and then cooking it on the grill to your liking in the evening. Green beans and brown rice as sides and a glass of Argentinian Malbec wine.

Pork will go excellently with garimac's baked apple dessert

Pork if great and only about 140 calories per serving.

this is two from cooking light and looks good but i only cook my pork tenderloins to about 140, I like mine more medium then medium well. I think the parmesan cutlety sound kind of romantic:heart:

Mustard Herb-Crusted Pork Tenderloin

You can serve this comforting classic with a side of mashed potatoes and a vinaigrette-dressed mesclun salad. Substitute Parmigiano-Reggiano for the Romano cheese or try honey mustard in place of Dijon mustard, if you prefer.

Ingredients
    1 (1/2-ounce) slice white bread
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    3 tablespoons grated fresh Romano cheese
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
    1 (1-pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
    1 garlic clove, minced
    Cooking spray

Preparation
    Preheat oven to 450°.
    Place slice of bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/4 cup. Combine the breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, cheese, and 2 teaspoons thyme in a shallow dish. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Combine Dijon mustard, fennel seeds, and garlic in a small bowl. Rub pork with mustard mixture, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.

Place the pork on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 25 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160° (slightly pink). Let stand for 10 minutes. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.

Yield
    4 servings (serving size: 3 ounces pork)

Nutritional Information
    CALORIES 184(30% from fat); FAT 6.2g (sat 2.3g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 25.8g; CHOLESTEROL 72mg; CALCIUM 72mg; SODIUM 351mg; FIBER 0.4g; IRON 1.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 4.6g

Spicy pork parmesan cutlets
    Ingredients
    1 (1-pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed
    2 tablespoons flour
    3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
    Cooking spray
    1 cup vertically sliced onion (about 1 medium)
    3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    1 cup tomato-and-basil pasta sauce
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation
    Preheat oven to 450°.
    Cut pork crosswise into 12 (1-inch-thick) pieces. Place each piece between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge pork in flour mixture. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of pork; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove pork from pan. Repeat with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and remaining pork.

Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; sauté 2 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Stir in sauce and red pepper; cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat; stir in basil.

Place pork on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Top each piece with about 1 tablespoon pasta sauce mixture and 1/2 teaspoon cheese. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes or until pork is done and cheese is melted.

Wine note: These savory pork cutlets take much of their flavor from the tomato-basil sauce. Tomatoes are, of course, high in acidity, and basil has a distinct herbal tang. Both factors work well with a juicy, medium-bodied Italian red that's not too powerful or tannic. Italian Dolcettos fill the bill perfectly. A delicious wine: Conterno Fantino Dolcetto d'Alba "Bricco Bastia" 2005 ($21). -Karen MacNeil

Yield
    4 servings (serving size: 3 cutlets)

Nutritional Information
    CALORIES 227(30% from fat); FAT 7.5g (sat 2.1g,mono 3.6g,poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 26.8g; CHOLESTEROL 76mg; CALCIUM 90mg; SODIUM 734mg; FIBER 1.8g; IRON 2.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 12.6g