Plateau~Help!!

Options
Can anyone give me some attainable advice that i will actually DO?! lol
I just started here. I've lost 43lbs and now my body says Im done! And I say ummm NO! I have MS and leading up to this point I didnt think I was able to use my elliptical (at my old weight, I wasn't- 260) Well, at my new weight,, 217 I found I could! So I figured I could break this plateau by starting the elliptical! Im doing 35 min 7days a week, ( on day 5 this week ) I have been doing an upper body weight set routine as well, throughout. Anyways.. Still no changes...could I be gaining muscle instead? I havent lost a pound! Im SO frustrated!! Im eating healthy, my dr has me on 1200 calories (before anyone says anything its for specific health reasons~MS related) Any other ideas on how to break this plateau? I could REALLY use the help!!!!!!!

Replies

• thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    Options
    have you lost any inches?? at least with the cardio and strength, you're gaining some heart health
  • thenewkarisa
    Options
    maybe with the lower cals and more exercise, you're going into starvation mode....
  • MariPars
    MariPars Posts: 52
    Options
    I dont know about the inches...I havent been able to find my measuring tape.. it looks like it though!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yea, I would say try eating a bit more. If you are doing more of an intense workout you need to fuel your body. Are you eating your exercise calories?

And like with me, the scale isn't moving much the inches are DEF. disappearing. It's so funny how that works :P
  • MariPars
    Options
    Im thinking I might be gaining muscle....I havent done ANYTHING exercise wise in 2 yrs b/c of the MS and my weight....
  • sschiano
    sschiano Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    first of all STOP DOING THE SAME THING EVERY DAY, your body gets used to it. try doing 40 mins one day, then another working on upper body strength (push ups, biceps and triceps curl) running on the elliptical as fast as you can for 5 mins between each set (5 sets total), then another day for core strength, lower body, and abs and back. DO NOT exersise every day, when you build muscle you actually hurt them thats why it hurts so you have to give them time to heal, take 2-3 days off heavy exercising a week. try something like yoga on those days to work on flexibility. changing up your workouts is the best way to get off a plateau.

ps: dont bother with the whole muscle weight vs. fat weight, a pound is a pound, muscle is just denser. building muscle should actually boost your weight loss because it increases your metabolism and as long as you exersise them you wont lose muscle.
  • MariPars
    Options
    no, I thought we wernt supposed to eat our exercise calories..?!
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yep, you ought to be eating your exercise calories back, and that might be contributing to your trouble. Of course, if you're only on day five of including exercise in your life, it's probably early to expect weight change.

Here's a GREAT explanation of the "eating all your calories" thing:
      http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
  • MariPars
    Options
    k, so I have so get used to eating more lol Some people on here have it wrong then, because they have been saying what is the point of exercising if you eat back what you worked off. Ahhhh thats confusing!
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this. I know how hurtful plateaus can be!! I dont really have any advice for you.. but Id love to help be support on your journey if you need. Good luck!
  • sschiano
    sschiano Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    mfp doesn't actually give you the same number of calories to eat back that you burn it gives you less, add building muscle exersises (abs, push ups, weights, etc) and you actually burn a whole lot more because mfp doesnt give you calories for those
  • MariPars
    Options
    Yeah I just got through reading all of that...makes total sense.. Im going to have to be eating a lot more. It wont probably make much of a change in the long run. I've been losing 1-2lbs a week as is anyways and that wont change and my plateau will be over, nothing to lose!!! I'll do it! =) I just hope I CAN eat more lol I'm so used to eating less! Thanks for the help!
  • MariPars
    Options
    Thanks Krystal!
  • thenewkarisa
    Options
    I dont know about the inches...I havent been able to find my measuring tape.. it looks like it though!

If you don't have it, find a piece of string and mark it then compare later
  • MariPars
    Options
    Good idea =)