Low Carb diet - how does my plan sound

Options
I'm 6'1" and started out about 12 days ago at 361lbs. I gained over 100lbs after a bad car wreck 3 years ago where I broke my right foot bad, my left femur and had back problems, and it's time to lose that weight. Now I weigh 350lbs. Long term Goal is about 230 for now, until I get to that weght. The short term goal is 340. I am currently chewing on about 30-60 carbs a day, and less than 2000 calories. Lots of water, and I'm also retraining my body to get ready for gym time. Once I'm at my 340, I'll be hitting the gym fo more cardio (I'm just walking briskly now), and to ease into weight lifting again. Eventually, I will be released introducing carbs as I lift heavier weights, and eventually shift into a weight loss program directed at not counting calories and carbs, but cutting fat and lifting heavy. Does this sound like a decent rough plan? I've never been big before, so I'm afraid I'm gonna plateau when trying to lose it. Let me know of any suggestions please!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with low carb, then go for it. At the end of the day you just need a calorie deficit to be able to lose weight.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Get a digital food scale that weighs in grams and count calories. They cost under 25 dollars at Walmart or Target.
    You do not have to count carbs.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Getting a food scale had the most effect on my weight loss. Just FYI.
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan, just make sure those calories are accurate, use a tdee calculator.

You want to establish solid maintenance calories so you can safely stay at a deficit as you lose more weight, at your height and weight under 2000 seems very low, and you have to think ahead, when you plateau you'll have to drop lower, then when you plateau again even lower, if you're at 2000 now this will put your calories way too low when you get to that point and eventually you'll start putting weight back on . Slowly decreasing your calories afyer you set an appropriate maintenance valur will allow you to eat more lose weight safely and have less plateaus in your journey

Also make sure you reevaluate your carbs as you start to lift, carbs are essential in muscle building, and adjust ypur macros along the way as you progress, when you notice weight is taking longer to drop off make small adjustments, small deficits in calories, no need to go extreme and be at crazy deficit, food is fuel, you would put a quarter tank of gas in your car to drive 500 miles right? Same concept with your body