Protein powders / meal replacement shakes

Options
Can anyone help me out with some decent brands of low-calorie meal replacement shakes and/or protein powders?

I struggle to remain on my diet, would love to have a good meal replacement shake/powder for convenience

Replies

• cmloomis361
    cmloomis361 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey, depends on what your goal is. All protein powders aren't alike. There are fast absorbing proteins and slow absorbance. So for right after working out, hydrolyzed isolate is your best bet. If you're looking for meal replacement, regular isolate is a better choice. If you were to take hydroisolate as a meal replacement, you'd be hungry very quickly because it absorbs so quick.

Another option is Casein but this is better taken at night for recovery and building while you sleep.

There's also concentrate protein which is the cheapest of the whey protein. This makes an ok meal replacement.

If I were you, I'd go with isolate. Try to get an all natural one if you're going to be taking it as a meal. Make sure you get one that you like the taste (and feel of). Try some sample packs. Vitamin world has a bunch of single servings you can try.

If you don't like whey protein, try egg white. Pea is gross I don't like it.
  • shann931
    shann931 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    HI my name is Shannon and I am losing weight but it is really hard for me I need more help with it
  • officials
    officials Posts: 33 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I tried the plant-based nutritional shake at Whole Foods today, it was very filling.

The shake I made had:
    2 bananas (160g)
    1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
    1 packet of plant based nutritional shake mix, dark chocolate flavored
    1 cup of cashew milk
    About 1-2 handfuls of ice
    = 327 calories

Yeah, that's just from my experience but there are other shakes, such as premiere protein? Protein powders seem fine too, but I'm no expert.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of tubs of Idealshape in the cabinet for this reason. Sometimes I just feel like a smoothie, and those are pretty tasty IMO. I have the salted caramel, chocolate cream pie, and orange flavors. The Fitmiss brand in vanilla chai is pretty good, too, and only 90 calories per scoop.
  • lumenosis
    lumenosis Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I went with a meal replacement shake so there would be vitamins, aminos and such not just protein. I have tried a couple of brands, Progressive all in one whey protein in Natural Chocolate tastes good and has tons of good stuff. I mix it with unsweetened coconut milk and half a frozen banana. I have also tried Gnarly but prefer the taste of Progressive.

A lot of meal replacement powders and shakes have poor ingredients or too much sugar so read the labels.
  • Kimaw65
    Kimaw65 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of tubs of Idealshape in the cabinet for this reason. Sometimes I just feel like a smoothie, and those are pretty tasty IMO. I have the salted caramel, chocolate cream pie, and orange flavors. The Fitmiss brand in vanilla chai is pretty good, too, and only 90 calories per scoop.

I use these also. They taste great and are do control my appetite in between meals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help me out with some decent brands of low-calorie meal replacement shakes and/or protein powders?

I struggle to remain on my diet, would love to have a good meal replacement shake/powder for convenience

Depends on what the goal is. Is it to replace a meal like breakfast or lunch because you are having trouble making a meal and want something fast (that's what I'm guessing from the question). If so, you probably don't want a protein shake but something with more carbs and fat and calories. However, protein powder plus whole milk or yogurt (add some fruit and spinach, maybe) can be that. There are meal replacements, but the only one I am currently familiar with is Soylent.

If you are struggling, the question is in what way. Meal replacement shakes are often not filling for people, so if it's hunger they might not help.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If it's for weight loss I really like Quest. It tastes very good, is 100 calories a scoop and cooks well if you like to make pancakes or mug cakes out of them. It's high in protein (over 20 grams a scoop) and very low in sugar. It does have "fake stuff" in it, though, so not a good choice if you don't believe in artificial sweetner.
  • wrighty11146
    wrighty11146 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ive started using My Protien Diet Whey as a lunch replacement, my work does free lunches and the temptation to eat as much free chips/pasta i want if a bit bad. so I figure doing this will help me be good. Out of sight,out of mint.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    There are many good kinds. Try to find one that has low sugar , 20 grams of protein and fibre to help keep you full
  • mcbeanstr
    mcbeanstr Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I personally use Herbal life 1 a day shakes