interesting food weights

Options
JaydedMiss
JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
what are some interesting/funny/sad things you realized you were eating WAY wrong before weighing? Like peanut butter :'( -i cry daily-

Or prepackaged food thats WAY heavier thn the nutrition facts say xD Happens alot to its sad :(

not sure why i like threads like this lol just so interesting to see

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Some packages tell you the Nutrition Facts for 100g, then you look again and see a serving size is 30g or 200g, so the first impression was misleading.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti. I had a big time sad the first time I weighed out a serving ages ago.
    Now, though, I've gotten so used to eating a true portion of spaghetti that it sometimes seems like too much! Funny how that happens.
    Potato chips, too...I love those things..sigh..
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    That packaging doesnt always contain the grans it says. Ie weighs more than it says,therefore the increase i calories.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Bread and granola bars. Sometimes I miss the ignorance is bliss aspect to dieting without a food scale. :lol:

Granola bars got me to. I would eat two or three at a time thinking it's ok they're healthy and didn't know it was 300 calories. Sad day I looked at the calories :'( .
  • ninjamere1
    ninjamere1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Regular fruity candy. I never thought it was nutritional or low calories but I was shocked by how many calories it can be for a really small amount of candy that doesn't even have fat calories to add to the total. Twizzlers :'(

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Using liquid measurements for semi-solids/solids like ice cream and canned veggies/fruits.I'm looking at you, Canada.
    This!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Popcorn. I air pop, and was happy eating large bowls, thinking it was only a couple hundred calories. I was off by 100%

I eat large bowls of popcorn too, about 50-60g unpopped. It is a couple hundred calories. It's the oil or butter toppings that add to it.
  • melissawill2017
    melissawill2017 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it often.... But, cereal. Who would ever eat the actual serving size of cereal. The weighed serve is nothing like the measured volume.

Yes, cereal! Not the healthiest of options to begin with, but it is seriously said to weigh out a serving of cereal. My normal bowl (without weighing) is about 2-3 servings of cereal. Accountability really helps you to see how easy it is to misjudge caloric content!
  • ChristinePearlFNP
    ChristinePearlFNP Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My little frooties tootsie rolls are 12 cals...I repeat 12 freaking cals!
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Some time before I joined MFP, I weighed a 'normal' serving of cereal and realised it was a little over twice the suggested serving size. I had my teenage nieces staying with me at the time, so did the same for them too - one was also having just over 2x servings and the other was happily eating almost three times the suggested amount. Now that I'm on MFP, I weigh out 30g of cornflakes or 40g muesli every day that I eat cereal - and think that amount is just fine.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Oh, this looks fine! Until you realise it says, in TINY font, each pack is 16 servings so each serving is one mouthful.

30g of cereal?!?! I was eating substantially more than 30g

Some things are much higher than I thought, some are much lower. I am utterly unable to guess accuratly it seems.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I've ranted about this before but protein bars are one of the most inconsistently weighted food products I've encountered. The whey isolate type I usually buy (think One, Quest and Kirkland) usually quote a 60g serving size. Never since starting to track have I found a bar weighing less than 65g.

Also, since there are other Canucks in here, Pillers meat products are very poorly weighted. I bought a European sausage product from them and the total package weight was half the actual weight! When I emailed them to let them know that they needed to fix their damn labeling the response was basically, "Stuff happens." ...Over and over apparently -_-