head aches following a big workout

Options
Hi all last week I have eaten clean (not organic to expensive) no sweets no choccy only 2 cups of coffee a day. schedule is mon and tues 30 day shred and 30 mins elliptical hr at 65 - 85 % max hr.
Wed rest
thurs and sat shred and elliptical
fri elliptiacal and sun rest
About 3 hours after I finish working out (I am usually done by lunch and I eat before first workout apple and peanut butter then walk the dogs then do elliptical followed by green tea and handful of almonds the lunch again healthy wholemeal nutty bread with chicken or tuna and tomatoes) but in the middle of the afternoon I get these horrible headaches. I have cut back on the coffee and yes I am tired in the afternoon. Just wondering if anybody else has ever experienced anything like this.

I drink plenty or water after exercise and throughout the day and have quit diet soda and am keeping sodium to a low. May have to make a docs app could do with getting all my numbers checked anyway.

Any thoughts would be grate (on rest days I dont get the headaches)

Replies

• tazzy
    tazzy Posts: 197
    Options
    Hi all last week I have eaten clean (not organic to expensive) no sweets no choccy only 2 cups of coffee a day. schedule is mon and tues 30 day shred and 30 mins elliptical hr at 65 - 85 % max hr.
    Wed rest
    About 3 hours after I finish working out (I am usually done by lunch and I eat before first workout apple and peanut butter then walk the dogs then do elliptical followed by green tea and handful of almonds the lunch again healthy wholemeal nutty bread with chicken or tuna and tomatoes) but in the middle of the afternoon I get these horrible headaches. I have cut back on the coffee and yes I am tired in the afternoon. Just wondering if anybody else has ever experienced anything like this.

I drink plenty or water after exercise and throughout the day and have quit diet soda and am keeping sodium to a low. May have to make a docs app could do with getting all my numbers checked anyway.

• heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    weird. i cant really compare because you are doing SO much more working out than me. maybe it is the caffene? i had pretty bad headaches every evening for about 2 weeks after cutting out dr. pepper. i still have one cup of coffee each morning at work but thats about it.
  • eye_am_ready
    eye_am_ready Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i think that you are doing way too much way to fast...you need to coax your body, into this "NEW TRANSITION" i am suffering from the headaches too, and usually thats a sign of too much caff or not anuff...pls take your time, the nuts may be a contributing factor to all of this as well...
  • lorinhobenson
    Options
    I can almost 100% guarantee you are dehydrated. Most people are to start with, and you are doing primarily cardio workouts, plus drinking a ton of caffeine, both coffee and green tea, all of which dehydrate you. Another contributing factor could be you are not getting enough salt, which is related but different to hydration.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of drinking water. The vast majority of headaches are at least partially due to dehydration, so start pouring water down your throat as fast as it will go. You can safely drink 3 gallons a day, but you will never get there. :smile:
  • labamba
    labamba Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Have you upped your water intake since you started exercising? It might be your body is needing more water and hence the headaches. However if you check this link it gives you some good info.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise-headaches/DS00641

Hope this helps

Take care :flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Dehydrated and Caffeine withdrawls...I too suffered head aches but I started to drink more water and swtitched to decaf coffee...also I started a multi vitamin...now Im head ache free
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    i would say dehydrated

i drink lots of water before, during and after my workouts :drinker:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Yes, and mine were because of the coffee(withdrawel) That may not be why you are getting them but I was shocked to know that my little bit of coffee(3 cups)in the a.m. was causing me withdrawels from the caffeine when I don't drink it. Now I want to wean myself off it slowly by just a little less every few days or so. Nothing helps those headaches I get, not even a cup of coffee after I have the headache. I also think that the headaches I wake up with are to do with caffeine. More research, trial and error but I want it out of my life.

denise in OR
    PS it could be lack of enough water too for you. I drink atleast 96 ounces a day so I don't think mine are from lack of water.

Wed rest

• MisoSoup79
    Options
    I just experienced this same thing this week... I was super hydrated, eating balanced meals and Tylenol did NOT help my headache... the headache lasted two whole days and prevented me from going to the gym yesterday... It was the kind of headache where I could see my pulse in my eyes and feel it in my temples (very different from my dehydration headaches). I thought perhaps it was a sudden lack of caffeine, so I drank a cup of Swiss Miss Pick Me Up (same amount of caffeine as one cup of coffee) and within an hour that debilitating headache faded away!

If you are used to having caffeine later in the day, it could be why you get those headaches.
  • heather0mc
    Options
    I just experienced this same thing this week... I was super hydrated, eating balanced meals and Tylenol did NOT help my headache... the headache lasted two whole days and prevented me from going to the gym yesterday... It was the kind of headache where I could see my pulse in my eyes and feel it in my temples (very different from my dehydration headaches). I thought perhaps it was a sudden lack of caffeine, so I drank a cup of Swiss Miss Pick Me Up (same amount of caffeine as one cup of coffee) and within an hour that debilitating headache faded away!

If you are used to having caffeine later in the day, it could be why you get those headaches.

miso! i just saw your profile pics - way to go! you are doing so well! i wish i would have taken before and after pics. cheers to you! :flowerforyou:
  • tazzy
    Options
    Definately not lack of water I am very concious of my water intake and I drink plenty I check by looking into the toilet after I pee and the water is water coloured not even pale yellow. I have substituted my coffee with green tea as it is better for you than coffee and I stick to the same routine on my rest days and I dont get hedaches then which is why I dont actually think it is caffeine withdrawal.

I am pretty used to working out I have used the elliptical for over a year at least 2 to 3 times a week so it is not like I have suddenly started exercising I also walk 8 hours a week up and down hills I just dont count this anymore in exercise as my body is used to it I class myself as moderately active instead as it is a daily thing (joys of owning dogs) The only thing that has really changed is the nuts as I am trying to give my body the right combo of fuel and I struggle with protein and nuts are full of healthy fats (I also struggle with not enough fat) I have deprived my body for too long with extremely small quantities the right food and even lower amounts of fat I am trying to correct / repair my metabolism by cranking up the exercise to prevent weight gain whilst I correct my eating habits in hope that after a couple of weeks my body will begin to finally lose the weight. Maybe it is the nuts however the headache wasnt as bad today day 6 so maybe my body is adjusting I think I will cont for a couple more days and see what happens on mon day 8 if I get a headache then I will make a docs app.
    I was worried it was blood pressure.
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It could also be your neck/shoulder muscles being tight or your next being out of alignment because of the motion of the arm handles on the elliptical or something you do during your workout video. might want to check with a chiropractor and see if that helps!
  • MisoSoup79
    Options

miso! i just saw your profile pics - way to go! you are doing so well! i wish i would have taken before and after pics. cheers to you! :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the kudos and I like your kitties in your ticker!!:happy: :flowerforyou:
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    Your changing your diet. Your just shaking things up! IF you are cutting lower carbs, and trust me- anytime people start dieting and taking a break from store bought processed foods or fast foods you will obtain headaches....why? Because your previous carb intake was probably pushing 500-1000 g a day. Now that you shaking up your diet, your body is detoxing itself. I cut out caffeine a couple weeks back, and yes I had the worst headaches. But now I'm in my 6th week of no soda and I FEEL GREAT! Just keep at it. If a week or two later you still get them, consult your physician as it most likely has nothing to do with your diet and you need medical attention!!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Any chance it could be hormonal related? I blame them for EVERYTHING!:tongue:
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....I usually get really light-headed....I know this sounds strange, because we're so anti-sodium, but I'm wondering if your sodium is too low???????
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Do it now before you regret it!! I've not gotten so many as I wish I had but pics wasn't something I was collecting much in the past. But just like using the measuring tape you CAN start anytime but the sooner the better because then you have a base point to compare back too!:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Lots of good replies here...the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned clean eating was perhaps withdrawel symptoms from the way you formerly ate?

Hope it doesn't continue for you Hon:ohwell: Lots and lots of water and that will help flush out all the extra caffeine and the like.

keep us up on how you're feeling, ok?:drinker: :bigsmile:

Oh dang...you guys are too fast for me!!:sad: :laugh: You've covered about everything now..:drinker: :tongue:
  • tazzy
    Options
    Thank you everyone for their advice I suppose my diet has changed dramatically for the better I will just see it out for a bit longer and hopefully it will sort itself out.

Thanks
  • heather0mc
    Options

Do it now before you regret it!! I've not gotten so many as I wish I had but pics wasn't something I was collecting much in the past. But just like using the measuring tape you CAN start anytime but the sooner the better because then you have a base point to compare back too!:flowerforyou:

thanks! i feel a bit silly taking pics of myself. i think i am down 6 pounds already ~ we'll see tomorrow at the 'official' weigh in at work. i do have pics from different times with friends that are not so flattering. those are my biggest motivator! :flowerforyou: