Treadmill

Options
Been doing 1.75 miles a day on a treadmill. What other exercise can I do to help burn more calories besides walking.

Replies

• mplz
    mplz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lift weights will help burn calories
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    You can increase the incline on your treadmill to work harder, if you aren't already. Anything that gets you moving will burn calories, though. Just a matter of finding something you enjoy or will at least tolerate doing daily :smile:
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Boxing. I used to run on our treadmill. It was killing my knees (sport related). I was doing 5-8 miles daily. Switched up to a heavy bag and haven't looked back.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Does your treadmill have variable speeds? If so, you can use it to do HIIT sprints.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Walk faster, longer, and/or higher incline. Try other activities, like sports or weight lifting.
  • darbunk
    darbunk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Does your treadmill have variable speeds? If so, you can use it to do HIIT sprints.

I love HIIT! Gave me the best results in the shortest amonut of time. You can still walk and do HIIT. For example, walk for 3 min then ramp up the speed and/ or incline for 30 sec to 1 min. It should feel challenging to keep up that min. Then ramp back down to your starting speed. Or do the 3 min walk and 1 min sprint. Repeat for 20-25 min. Over time you'll be able to do it at variable running speeds.

Good luck!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Try everything! Exercising is fun!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,954 Member
    Options
    Climbing stairs.

Or on the treadmill, do intervals. Walk during the TV show, then run through the commercial, then walk through the TV show, etc.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

That guy is having way too much fun on the treadmill. He sure is smooth. I would have fallen on my face if I tried that. B)
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    mplz wrote: »
    Lift weights will help burn calories

Ditto. With routines that work multiple muscle groups/movement which will torch the calories, build functional strength and keep burning calories even after your workout.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Been doing 1.75 miles a day on a treadmill. What other exercise can I do to help burn more calories besides walking.

You could run on the treadmill.

I think the key point here is that exercise isn't required to manage your calorie deficit, although it can have a purpose. If you think about more tangible objectives you'll get more useful advice.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm coming back from a series of knee surgeries, so working my way back to running longer distances and sprints. I typically do three miles on the treadmill as such: jog the first mile or 1.5 at around a 5.2 or 5.3, 1% incline. Next mile is a series of .25 fast/slow run/walk 6/3.8mph. Whatever remains is as fast as I can push it for 90 second to 2 minutes at a time (I like to edge up the speed up every .1 mile, if I can), then walk at 3.5 for 90 seconds. I always try to finish the run at a sprint and then the treadmill automatically goes into 'cool down' mode. The variety keeps it from getting boring and engages some of the other muscle groups in my legs and arms during sprints, so it's not just the same old slog. I'm also competitive, so I love seeing my overall times come down, as I'm able to cover longer distances during the run portions of the workout.

I'm still working on the confidence to get back into the weight room, because I know that lifting and building muscle is ultimately best for weight loss, but dang, I love the cardio!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    ...is ultimately best for weight loss....

Getting your calorie deficit under control is best for weight loss. Exercise modes are complimentary to one another have different effects.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Try one of these: Integrity-Series-Cross-Trainer-CLSX-titanium-angle-view-Triton-L.jpg?itok=77pzEdDi
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Getting your calorie deficit under control is best for weight loss. Exercise modes are complimentary to one another have different effects.

I'm at a pretty good deficit (seems to be working, anyway) but what I meant was that I would love to build more muscle in order to increase overall BMR, even if by just a bit. It all adds up over time and contributes to the calorie deficit :D.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

I'm at a pretty good deficit (seems to be working, anyway) but what I meant was that I would love to build more muscle in order to increase overall BMR, even if by just a bit. It all adds up over time and contributes to the calorie deficit :D.

There's nothing wrong with building muscle. (Who wouldn't want to be stronger?) But for every additional pound of muscle you are only increasing BMR by about 5 calories per day. Gain twenty pounds of muscle and you get to eat an extra apple every day.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

The effect is negligible for the majority.

Notwithstanding that, strength training is beneficial for running; improved resilience, core stability, injury risk mitigation.