interesting food weights

Options

Replies

• NavajoGirl85
    NavajoGirl85 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it often.... But, cereal. Who would ever eat the actual serving size of cereal. The weighed serve is nothing like the measured volume.

Agree. I look at the servings of some of these cereals and they go as low as 1/4 of a cup. My daughter is 8 and skinny and she wouldn't even get satisfaction with that amount.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Croutons. The ones that taste decent are about 3 croutons per serving.

Doritos about 6-7 chips are a serving! That's it?!?! I don't bother with them unless I can fit in 3-4 servings.

Goldfish crackers. You get about 40, but they are so little and addicting that I can scarf down the whole package without even thinking about it.

I'm also on the cereal boat. Plain cheerios isn't too bad except they don't have much taste.

Ever look at the calories for one of those beautiful decorated Panera cookies? My daughter brought home a tulip shaped cookie from her teacher once, over 400 calories!!
  • strifechick
    strifechick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I eat dry cereal as a snack, it's my sweet treat, but as soon as I get the box I go home and weigh out each portion into separate baggies. Because I know if I don't I'll eat 2-3x easily.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    amygatl wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here:
    6ek3g9nneka2.jpg

FTFY

136g of plastic wrap and sticker?

:D

(why is it plastic wrapped and stickered? Kind of unnecessary for a single potato isn't it?)
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ice cream! I thought a serving would end up way smaller.

As for cereal, I use unsweetened cashew milk with it. Under 400 calories worth + 25 calories in a cup makes for a nice little evening sweet.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    6ek3g9nneka2.jpg

FTFY

(why is it plastic wrapped and stickered? Kind of unnecessary for a single potato isn't it?)

The sweet potato is washed and ready to microwave.
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it often.... But, cereal. Who would ever eat the actual serving size of cereal. The weighed serve is nothing like the measured volume.

3/4 cup ... why?!?! I don't eat it often either but that blew my mind when i realized the actual serving size.. it's a bit crazy considering how bad things can get out of control really quickly with a bowl of cereal ..3/4 cup, no i want a bowl of cereal lol not whats floating in the milk when I'm nearly done
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Definitely coffee. I used to get a medium caramel swirl hot coffee multiple times a week, and although I use Splenda and very little cream anyway, I found out that this was almost 300 calories! 300 calories of no nutritional value whatsoever. I still drink coffee but I either drink it with sugar free flavor shots or no flavoring
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Has to be peanut butter for me. I can eat 4 TB without even trying!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    antdelsa wrote: »

3/4 cup ... why?!?! I don't eat it often either but that blew my mind when i realized the actual serving size.. it's a bit crazy considering how bad things can get out of control really quickly with a bowl of cereal ..3/4 cup, no i want a bowl of cereal lol not whats floating in the milk when I'm nearly done

yep cereal is an eye opener.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Cereal and Oven Chips. Horrendous estimates of both before I started weighing, most other stuff I'm pretty good at eyeballing.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, ice cream, and cereal. I want to punch whatever *kitten* decided 1/2 cup of cereal or ice cream is anywhere close to what a normal human being would eat as a serving.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Crazy serving sizes sometimes. Pickles. I love pickles but was flabbergasted at the serving size. 3/4's of a spear. What?!? Who eats 3/4's of a spear? No sense.

I hate pickles....but, that makes me chuckle too. Those kind of marketers should be jailed along with those people who design the heavy plastic packaging that's almost impossible to open (and can cut you if you're not careful).

3/4 of spear?!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    antdelsa wrote: »

3/4 cup seems like heaven after you weigh it and realise "3/4 cup" is a piddly little spoon full.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    6ek3g9nneka2.jpg

FTFY

In the plastic? We don't have those here... Not that I have a microwave anymore, but I never used to wrap potatoes to microwave them!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    6ek3g9nneka2.jpg

FTFY

In the plastic? We don't have those here... Not that I have a microwave anymore, but I never used to wrap potatoes to microwave them!

You can't just grab some plastic wrap and do it yourself. The company shrink-wraps the potato in such a way that it facilitates microwaving. I've only bought them a couple of times because (at least with the ones I bought) "washed" was kind of a stretch. I did like the final texture of the sweet potato but I eat the skin and it still had grit in it. :s

It's cheaper and cleaner to buy a bag, wash and poke holes in one, and wrap it in a wet paper towel if I want to microwave it. There's even a Potato button on my microwave with the time and power preset.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Pasta, I regularly ate 1600 calories, before sauce, meat, cheese and you have to have bread!

Now no bread, 300 calories of pasta. Nice homade sauce with wonderful meatballs and I know the calories.
  • amygatl
    amygatl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    6ek3g9nneka2.jpg

FTFY

6ek3g9nneka2.jpg

FTFY

6ek3g9nneka2.jpg

FTFY

It's a way for the manufacturers to charge a lot more for a single sweet potato.