Holidays, cookouts, how do you stay on track??

Options
How do you stay on track at gathering's with people that don't eat even close to the way you do. The weather is getting nicer and we are big grillers, and find a reason to have a gathering for just about any occasion. There is always a ton of food, (usually not even close to being healthy) how do you maintain @ events like this? That are quite frequent!

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Usually, at least SOMEONE brings salad. Eat that with light dressing [if lucky, there will be bottles with labels]. You can always just bring a lunchbox, eat from that... Be the one to bring the salad.

Have a burger, but go bunless. Whole leaf lettuce wrapped around it.. Can still do tomato, onion, some ketchup/mustard, etc... Just don't go crazy with mayo, and it isn't half bad calorie-wise. See Carl Jr/Hardees on that front, they call it their 'Low Carb' option. Burgers with lettuce buns. Yum.

Grilled chicken breast? Grilled veg?

Tons of options. You are someone with the capacity to BRING the healthy option, so do it if you need to. xD
  • Proudof5more2b
    Proudof5more2b Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is what I had..A bunless burger with mustard and a side of pico. But when you're out there all day. It's hard.. Lol I'm definitely going to have to take the initiative to bring the veggies​. I was just wondering if there were other things. Thanks though! Great suggestions:-)
  • frawley23
    frawley23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When we have barbeques I always offer to take a salad or two. One's just a garden salad spinach, tomato, capsicum, cucumber, oranges or strawberries etc with no dressing. The other is coleslaw made with half fat free half regular dressing.
    I tend to stick to meat, salads (that are mostly veg not pasta or rice salads), corn on the cob etc.
    I decline drinks but you could take some light beer or unsweetened ice tea or forego sweets in favour of wine etc.
    If I have biscuits and cheese or chips etc I take a reasonable potion and put it on a plate rather than eating them straight from a serving platter as I'll eat way too much mindlessly otherwise.

We generally have these get togethers on the weekend and no more than once a week so if I know that I'll indulge more than usual (if there's birthday cake generally) it's pretty easy for me to bank a few hundred calories during the week as a bit of a buffer.

Hopefully you'll get used to it. You never know your gatherings might even get a bit healthier.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    While it is hard, you have to learn how to control yourself. That's the whole point, sustainability.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I don't ... when those one-off days come around I try to focus on healthy choices and portions but plan that I'll probably go over my deficit calorie intake ... and so if it ends up being maintenance calories that day, that's fine. If I ended up going way over, then I try to make up for it by eating more lightly in the days after. Cause ... one day or one meal won't either make or break the bank, ... it's the consistency of the thing that matters.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    * Straightforward grilled meats and veggies are easy to put in a diet. The bread is a burger is more problematic but it's not even the best part.
    * Avoid the alcohol or moderate
    * Bring your own salad
    * Focus on the activity and company and not the food
    * Hopefully get in a good workout before and after
    * Indulging once in a while is no big deal. But a BBQ every week may be. But if you practice what to eat and how much, again--not a big deal.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You have to still be aware of how much you are eating, if not there would be repercussions eventually.

Personaly I am always mindful of quantity and calorie dense food even when on holiday or eating out. The first year at maintenance I lost all control and ate willy nilly - 2 weeks cruise, and came back 6lbs heavier. Now while that's not a lot it took me 3 months getting it off (I'm a slow loser) so I vowed that would never happen again. And 4 years on I stayed true to my word. Its easier to gain than lose so if being mindful when away and keeping active means I don't gain weight, then that's how I'll play it.
  • Garthweightlosspal
    Garthweightlosspal Posts: 73 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Self control.
    Don't overindulge and make sure to keep track of everything you eat. :)

Or as other people have said, bring your own food that you can keep track of.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    For me it has been about finding that balance of eating things I enjoy, but not too much and working for it too.

- I'll save up calories for that meal.
    - Make some of my own food and bring enough to share.
    - Stay mindful of the calorie counts. I ask myself "is this worth the calories?" Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
    - Don't drink my calories which save a lot of room for food.
    - I usually would make that meal my main meal of the day and eat lighter the rest of the day.
    - Slow down when eating and I stop eating when I'm close to being full. This is a biggie. I use to stuff myself crazy, but I had to learn to control myself.

I wasn't going to stop going to events, cookouts etc., so I had to learn portion control.

This is a big change compared to how I used to live. Not that it's so much trouble, but after 4 years of following most of these points and maintaining my weight, it's worth it.
  • EthanPierre
    EthanPierre Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    @ameflores1970 It's all MENTAL! It is absolutely hard to do, but absolutely possible!! We can all be stubborn about something. Be stubborn about what you eat. Make a resolve to eat healthy and be hard headed about it!! The hardest thing to open is a closed mind, close your mind to unhealthy eating habits!! No easy answer, no easy fix just set your mind and don't give in!
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging and planning helps me. And like others have said, I am now the one that brings tupperware full of homemade things/salad that I can eat throughout the day

Am off to Prague next week and I have worked out that there will be 15 meals and around 15 beers - worked out rough calories and with all the walking I am pretty sure will be eating at maintenance. (side note: I just noticed that I have used the words 'rough' and 'pretty sure', like I haven't been on the MFP database and an excel sheet for a few days plotting the holiday to get numbers sorted lol!)

I know that as it is holiday I will have what I want and am not going to force myself to stick to the plan completely rigidly. But knowing that I have planned for that amount of food and drink, helps me to really think about whether I need that 4th or 5 beer or snacks.

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I bring salad and make that the main focus of my meal. I bring some of my own beer (like Mich Ultra) and allow myself 2-3 and then switch over to Diet Coke. I focus on the reason I'm there - hanging out with family and friends, not for the food.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat all the things just because they are there. Plan what you will eat and take reasonable portions.
    Drink water, tea or low calorie drinks.
    Put food away. Send leftovers home with others if you are hosting.
    Bring food to a gathering that you feel comfortable eating. Warm weather is great for vegetables or fresh fruits.
    Revise your diet plan so it is more sustainable with the world you live in.
    Be more active during this season.
    Have something to do like playing musical instruments, games or crafts at these gatherings.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I try to bank calories before the event and after if I need to. Then I can eat what I want (within reason) at the party.
  • ProgressNotPerfectionIAmEnough
    Options
    We had a cookout yesterday. While everyone else had burgers and hot dogs on buns with chips, cookies, and sweet tea, I had a huge bowl of lettuce with a hamburger patty on top. I added mustard to the patty. The lettuce gave me the crunch instead of chips. I had fruit instead of cookies and black coffee instead of sweet tea. It wasn't awesome. It didn't feel awesome yesterday. This morning though? I feel freaking AWESOME. ;) You can do this. If you want to eat the foods they do, plan for it, eat the same foods, and just have less to stay in your calorie goals. We've got this. :) (Oh and we could exercise more to earn more calories.)
  • inthegrotto
    inthegrotto Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    log it before you eat it. Make your plate based on your calorie allowance for that meal. Eat smaller amount of everything that you do like!
  • eperaino
    eperaino Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have found that nobody ever cares if I bring my own burger. Nobody even bats an eye - I bring my veggie burger and light bun and a fruit salad or light salad (always enough to share, not just my own serving) I've also done a really light dessert trifle. I run that morning if I feel it won't work well. I have never had anybody care if I bring a bag of baked chips, fruit salad and my own burger/bun. Don't make excuses, You are doing the right thing, not them.
  • maurihart
    maurihart Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If I know we have something going on later in the day (say Saturday afternoon) I will a) be sure and go for a workout that morning b) cut my normal breakfast and lunch calories by half - it gives me a cushion c) drink lots of water before the event d) offer to bring/make veggies/hummus/salsa e) relax and have a good time.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I will second what @PixelPuff wrote. Succinct and accurate.