Are there any vitamin supplements that help in weight loss?

Options
Ive read lots of different articles claiming that supplements may help. Has anyone had any luck with any of these?

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Ive read lots of different articles claiming that supplements may help. Has anyone had any luck with any of these?

nope,all thats needed is a caloric deficit. supplements do nothing for weight loss
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    For all practical purposes there's nothing out there that's both effective and legal. Some people (me included) find that caffeine can work as a mild, temporary appetite suppressor, or fizzy drinks or a cup of tea or coffee. Other than that, it's just hype and money-grubbing on the part of the diet industry.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Sadly no. I wish there was a magic pill too. However all there is is to eat less move more. Ie calories in needs to be smaller than calories out.
  • Jen2133
    Jen2133 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    There are many studies which show that over-the-counter diet supplements do not work and may, in fact, have serious health risks for some people. They main reason people experience results is because they often take supplements in addition to making positive life changes – diet and exercise.

Save your money – move more, track your food!
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Other than stimulants there's not any real effective supplements that will cause weight loss ... yohimbine and caffeine are solid choices but again these are stimulants ... performix sst is a great thermogenic and will get you going lol most products though are gimmicks and nothing beats a solid nutrition plan and cardio
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If you are deficient, doc ordered blood tests can tell, in things like vitamin D, B vitamins and/or iron, you may have less energy and be lethargic. Having normal levels can give you some get up and go which can make it easier to move in general, get exercise and stick with your calorie allotment.

No vitamin will make you lose weight, just by taking it. Deficiencies can be corrected with a doctor's help.
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    something for weight loss? nothing really

I did add a multi-vitamin and a probiotic to my morning routine just because I wanted to make sure I was hitting all my vitamins, and I figured it wouldn't hurt to have good gut bacteria.

I also like coffee/tea as a mild appetite suppressant to get me thru until my next meal/snack.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Not weight loss per say, but i feel cruddy and lethargic if i skip too many days of my vitD supplement which equals less exercise and more tv time.

Two things that give me a boost are coffee, especially around the 3oclock slump and a vitB complex tablets.

But as for diet pills and weight loss potions, there are none that magically help with weight loss. You need to put in the hard yards for that.
  • geebright
    geebright Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use a combination to assist with increased energy and also youthful ageing, these give me the great boost I need to stay on track and to train 5 days a week. :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    ^ a combination of what??
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Vitamin supplements help you if you are deficient in a vitamin. If you are not deficient, you will simply pee the excess out, you don't get points for extra.

That's true for water soluble vitamins. It is not true for fat soluble vitamins. You can overdose on them. It's not really a good idea to just treat vitamin supplements that casually.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Not weight loss per say, but i feel cruddy and lethargic if i skip too many days of my vitD supplement which equals less exercise and more tv time.

Two things that give me a boost are coffee, especially around the 3oclock slump and a vitB complex tablets.

But as for diet pills and weight loss potions, there are none that magically help with weight loss. You need to put in the hard yards for that.

Spend more time in the sun and you may not need a supplement.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

If only...

I'm so deficient in VitD in the winter that no amount of sun helps. I just barely manage to get enough in the summer (it's a bit of a tightrope walk between getting enough sun for the D and avoiding burning to a crisp. I had to go and inherit the delicate red-head skin from one of my ancestors. All the others in the family have sturdy sun-loving skin).

I also tend to be deficient in iron (regular infusion necessary) and B12 (regular supplement). But I do have a few malabsoption issues for those.

I'll usually notice when I'm getting low on any of those three because I'll be bone tiered for no reason and my activity plummets to sub-sedentary levels.

So I guess in that sense, it is a bit of a supplement to help my weight loss. But those are prescribed by my doctor and subject to regular blood tests before adjusting the amounts (especially since the iron I need per infusion; any oral iron supplements I just throw up).
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    OMEGA-3s, Vit D, Zinc, Iron are all suggested when in a deficit. There may be some small fat-burning or metabolic increase from some of them, but it won't make a difference to fat loss for most people. However, people in a deficit are commonly low on these.
  • StarBrightStarBright
    StarBrightStarBright Posts: 97 Member
    Options

plus one-ing all of the quoted.

Additionally when my Vit D and Iron levels are low I find I am always hungry. Being exhausted (physically and mentally) and constantly starving is not a good combo for me. Getting my levels to within normal ranges helps me stick to CICO and stay sated from a hunger standpoint.

But - don't just take supplements willy nilly - get a blood panel done to see if you have any deficiencies. If your levels are all normal supplements probably won't help.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

If only...

I'm so deficient in VitD in the winter that no amount of sun helps. I just barely manage to get enough in the summer (it's a bit of a tightrope walk between getting enough sun for the D and avoiding burning to a crisp. I had to go and inherit the delicate red-head skin from one of my ancestors. All the others in the family have sturdy sun-loving skin).

I also tend to be deficient in iron (regular infusion necessary) and B12 (regular supplement). But I do have a few malabsoption issues for those.

I'll usually notice when I'm getting low on any of those three because I'll be bone tiered for no reason and my activity plummets to sub-sedentary levels.

So I guess in that sense, it is a bit of a supplement to help my weight loss. But those are prescribed by my doctor and subject to regular blood tests before adjusting the amounts (especially since the iron I need per infusion; any oral iron supplements I just throw up).

I used to burn all the time,now since I have been taking my vitamin D for quite a while now,I can tolerate the sun a lot more and I dont get a sunburn anymore and I tan a little now where I didnt before. dont know if the Vit D helped that or not. I was born with red hair and have light skin too. I too was the only one that would burn easily,I know the pain(no pun intended) :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I spend too much time in the sun as it is. My dad died of skin cancer (the Australian sun can be brutal), so i have to be careful.