Does the Water in Coffee or Tea Count?

Options
don9992
don9992 Posts: 49 Member
Can I count the water in my coffee or iced tea as water consumption in MFP? Obviously, I can count anything I want and only cheat myself, but I've never been sure if only water neat counted or, since it's far and away the largest component in other drinks, it mattered there too.

Replies

• rach021979
    rach021979 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Great question! WebMD says they do. I personally don't count them bc i know i need more plain water in my diet.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yes. Adding something to it doesn't change the properties of the water.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    No.

Wait.

Yes.

As it does in soda, milk, watermelon, and anything else with h20 content. Except, maybe, if you like to drink a tall warm glass of milk of magnesia before leg day.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    It might help to look at it this way. If you drank some water and also drank an espresso, then obviously you drank some water and that counts. Would that change if you put them both in the same cup (which makes it an Americano)? Not really.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Good question, I've wondered this one myself.

Does the water in beer count? I'm thinking it wouldn't, since it dehydrates you.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Beer water counts! Yay
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    There has been recent research that shows all beverages count.

I actually count broth and popsicles. I don't count jello.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I never drink plain water but drink lots of tea. I log it under water and log my milk usage under snacks
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Personally, I count all liquids as water. But I don't really track it. I just listen to my body and drink when I'm thirsty and (TMI) I look at the color of my pee. If its too dark, I drink extra fluids that day.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    don9992 wrote: »
    Can I count the water in my coffee or iced tea as water consumption in MFP? Obviously, I can count anything I want and only cheat myself, but I've never been sure if only water neat counted or, since it's far and away the largest component in other drinks, it mattered there too.

Yes yes yes!
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I personally don't "log" it but I know others who do. I only log straight water to encourage me to drink more water on its own, but I also drink coffee and tea through the day, so I'm still getting my 64 ounces or whatever between my water and my other beverages. :) To each their own! As long as you're staying hydrated that's the priority.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't "count" water since I know I drink plenty (if there's water in front of me I drink it, and I have water at my desk all day long) and hate the myth about there being some magic about drinking X amount. However, can't see any reason why water in coffee or tea would not count -- the Americano illustration is a good one.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I count it in my overall liquid intake, but don't count it on the little water counter thing built into MFP. Mostly, I just do it to make sure I'm properly hydrated every day because of a GI thing I have.
  • leansandra
    leansandra Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Coffee and tea contain caffeine which is a diuretic so personally I would only give myself maybe 50% credit. However if it is decaffeinated then I count it for sure. Side note I don't drink coffee and only decaf tea this is really not a concern for me. I also consider myself more of a water drinker.
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes. But I don't count it personally just because I know I need to drink more just plain water.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't count caffeinated drinks in my water count but will count decaf tea etc. Don't know why - that's what I was told years ago and it stuck.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere to only count caffeinated drinks as half the amount because they are a diuretic.