Need ideas for strength training at home

Options
Hey all, I need some good ideas/links to plans for strength training at home. I have some free weights, and don't mind getting other equipment as needed. I run, and have started doing karate (my daughter made black belt, and I promised her I'd start when she made BB!), but need to up my strength training. I don't really have time to drive to a gym to work out, need something I can fit in before/after my morning run, or after work. thanks!

Replies

• pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Look up nerd fitness
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    pamfgil wrote: »
    Look up nerd fitness

oh, that looks fun!! my daughter would love to see me do that, I'm sure! (she's only 11, and in great shape by just being a kid, so doesn't need to do it with me).
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    mom2kateRH wrote: »
    Hey all, I need some good ideas/links to plans for strength training at home. I have some free weights, and don't mind getting other equipment as needed. I run, and have started doing karate (my daughter made black belt, and I promised her I'd start when she made BB!), but need to up my strength training. I don't really have time to drive to a gym to work out, need something I can fit in before/after my morning run, or after work. thanks!

You may want to check out P90X 3
  • hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of aerobic weight training. I started doing old Firm workouts at the end of December and the transformation has been incredible. I have done it all circuit training, progressive lifting programs, etc and I have never seen these type of results so quickly with any of them. There is a group on Facebook called Firm Original Workout Series - you can get more information there. Also, there have been a number of studies done by prominent institutions in recent years that show the benefits of concurrent exercise (combining cardio and weights).
  • wpg2mpls
    wpg2mpls Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    During my pregnancy I stopped lifting heavier weights (they gave me a 25lb maximum) and started doing bodyweight exercise circuits and fell in love with them. One of my favourite types is a "countdown" workout where you start by doing 10 reps of everything, then 9, 8, 7...2,1. You take breaks as needed and sometimes I add cardio bursts in between sets (1/4 mile on the treadmill, skipping robe etc.). Some of the exercises I will include are burpees, mountain climbers, air squats, jump squats, jump lunges, push ups, speed skaters, shoulder taps (in plank pose)...the list goes on. I work up an awesome sweat and my strength improved even as my belly grew! So happy I added in those workouts- ended up back at my pre-pregnancy weight 1 week after having my nugget on March 20th!
  • Luzz4
    Luzz4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender. Great workouts. Free.
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Will check these out!