Tired of being heavy need tips or inspiration or something to get started

Options
Hi All,

I am really tired of being overweight and feel very discouraged. I used to be about 120 lbs and have gained so much weight since then. I really just need some support because I feel very frustrated and like it is going to take forever to take weight off. I really struggle with food and eat junk to make myself feel better. Just reaching out for support.

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    You want the carrot or the stick?

For the carrot, you can absolutely do this. And you don't have to give up any of the foods you love. You may have to decide which of those foods you want at any given time (I'm going to a refreshment buffet. I can have two chocolate chip cookies or one frosted shortbread or a 2" piece of sponge cake* with no issues. If I want a chocolate chip cookie and a shortbread, am I ready to put in some time on the treadmill or not have the crackers and dip I meant to snack on later in the day?) And it is a GREAT feeling when you go to get new clothes and realize you've dropped a size or two. You don't have to give up sweets, to lose weight. You just need to plan them.

Now for the stick. Let me be your cautionary tale. You know all those obesity-related complications you hear about? Sigh. You don't want them. You really don't. In my case, my legs being force to support more of me than they were designed to led to refluxed veins and impacted my lymphatic system (lymph edema). What this means in plain language is that any cut or scrape on my legs takes forever to heal and runs the risk of infection. Topical creams don't always help; it often requires multiple courses of oral antibiotics. Which puts me at risk for building up a tolerance to them. One infection, that required months of home-care nursing visits and dressing changes, was only vulnerable to one antibiotic and took three courses. So... if I develop an immunity to Cipro and get that same bacteria? It's going to be bad. And for the record? Until about seven months ago, I was pretty healthy and didn't think anything was going to change. Until it did. You've got a chance to turn things around before you get a wake-up call in the form of a condition that can be managed, not cured. Take it.

It's going to take time, yes. You didn't gain weight overnight. You won't lose it overnight. But your health markers will improve along the way.

*Have not actually run the data to see if these items are comparable in calories. Just using as hypotheticals.
  • tkoontz85
    tkoontz85 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I so feel your pain. At 16 i was 160 at my largest. Fast forward to 31 and i am 282. Its disgusting what ive allowed myself to do due to binge eating and depression issues. We all have our demons and sometimes we need to try and control them. Im here for support if you need it. I added you as a friend.
  • Leila2289
    Leila2289 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That's really nice of you guys to get back to me. I used to look at myself and think I was really skinny and pretty and I felt like people treated me better because I was thinner and now I just feel gross.
  • velocity579
    velocity579 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I spent ten years starting and stopping diets. I was only able to succeed when I went to my doctor and asked for help. He told me what to do, and I lost 48 lbs. I think knowing I had to come back and see him was extremely motivating. Then the success was motivating. Recently, I got stuck, going up three pounds and down three pounds. I needed something new, so I got a Fitbit, and getting 10,000 steps per day has allowed me to resume my weightloss. Good luck!!! You can do it!!
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You do need to have some self compassion, it's hard to look after yourself if you are disgusted by yourself, we're all human and everybody makes mistakes. Also start logging everything you eat and drink, even if you don't do anything else it's a good place to start and it will show you what you can do next
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Some things to remember
    1. You didn't gain overnight nor will you lose overnight
    2. Weight varies due to things like sodium and hormones so look at trend not individual data points
    3. Calories in less then calories out
    4. Small changes that stick as habits matter. Better to do a small habit change that you keep for life then something drastic you can not keep with.
    5. Log Everything even when you eat over or eat junk food log it. No reason to lie to you.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Habits it's not something you can just stop overnight since when the craving kicks in you sometimes will go overboard.

Cutting down slowly. Let's say at night you eat a bag of chips/crisp while watching TV. You getting lots of carbs although you don't need it. Lay off it. Easily will lose 5lb. Don't buy junk food then you won't have to worry.

If you not active I recommend walking, fresh air will do good for you. Spread your meals through out the day. At least 4 meals incl breakfast.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,081 Member
    Options
    Look, it may take a while to get it off.
    But if you don't start today it will be even longer!!

Don't worry about what you look like right now, your body is a work in progress!

For example you don't show some a half finished house and say look how amazing it is!!.. it's not amazing.. there's no windows or doors!!
    But when it's finished, it's an absolutely stunning house!
    (Forgive the poor example :sweat_smile:)

And when I'm having a real bad day, I look at the success stories.
    They're very inspirational and can remind you that you can achieve your goals!
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    If you are really tired of being overweight, then stop being overweight :)
    leave those weight, leave those junk food that makes you feel heavy...just let it go...
    You can. You will. Enjoy the journey.Don't worry about time. Time will pass anyway.
    Picture yourself in a five years from now. How do you see yourself? What are you doing?
    Are you sitting on the floor playing with your adorable kid? Are you in high heels nailing your work in the dreamy office? Are you hiking with your friends discovering beautiful unknown places? Are you having passionate moments with your significant other?
    Whatever it is, let that picture inspire you, and go toward it, slowly and patiently, leaving all the junk in the past. :)
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Some people take years and/or therapy to realize they use food as a comfort so you are already ahead of the game. Try being mindful when you eat. Think about what you are eating and why. Are you really hungry? or are you sad, mad or lonely? Acknowledging those feelings and dealing with them can make a big difference. Call a friend or family member, walk off the mad...I get great exercise walking angry...lol.
    Take before pics and measurements. Plan for this to be a healthy change for you and your future. It doesn't happen overnight (as was mentioned) but it can and does happen. The proof is in the success threads. In 1, 3 or 5 years the only guarantee is that you will be older. But imagine the changes you can make in that time. Don't worry so much about how long it will take to lose the weight. Every day, every meal is a chance to make choices. Focus on making better choices, being healthy and happy. Sometimes you'll fail, cause we all do, being normal human beings, the key is not to give up. You are so worth the time you invest in yourself!
  • JacobNicolaus
    JacobNicolaus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Leila2289 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am really tired of being overweight and feel very discouraged. I used to be about 120 lbs and have gained so much weight since then. I really just need some support because I feel very frustrated and like it is going to take forever to take weight off. I really struggle with food and eat junk to make myself feel better. Just reaching out for support.

With some amazing advice shared already, I can only add:
    Change doesn't come without pain.

So, if you feel exhausted, super-hungry, lost, &c. - know, that it's part of the process. When those first non-scale victories start to show up (about day 23 for me), you'll know it's all worth it :smile:

Oh, and, of course, track some measurements - I track weight, fat %, chest, waist and hips - these will let you know you are making progress before you can see it in the mirror :wink: