Applesauce Multigrain Muffins

Options
Applesauce Multigrain Muffins (Vegan) - makes 12 muffins.

This is actually a recipe I got off the back of a Country Choice organic Multi Grain Hot Cereal canister that I've edited and make just about every other week! They're moist and not too sweet, which is nice, and have a nutty, grainy flavor. They are truly breakfast muffins- filling and hearty, and not just bald cupcakes. I use flaxseed meal with water as an egg substitute here- a great way to add some essential omega-3's and fiber to your diet, while skipping the cholesterol! Also, on the topping, you can double the ingredients, depending on how much of the fun stuff you want on top. It's pretty yummy. I like 'em.

Topping
1/3 cup Country Choice Organic Multigrain Hot Cereal, uncooked (or any brand of a rye, barley, oats, and wheat combo)
2 Tbsp. brown sugar (I use 1 Tbsp. evaporated cane juice, and 1 Tbsp. molasses)
1 Tbsp. Smart Balance, or other vegan butter with non-hydrogenated oils
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
whole flaxseeds, chopped dried apples, or chopped nuts, as desired (optional)

Muffins
1 cup multigrain hot cereal, uncooked
1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup hemp, rice, soy, or almond milk, original (just slightly sweetened)
1/2 cup Sucanat (brown sugar)
1/4 cup sunflower oil (canola works)
1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed meal beaten 3 Tbsp. water (makes one "egg")

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 450'F. Line twelve muffin cups with paper baking cups, or lightly oil bottoms only.
2. In a small bowl, combine 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp water. Beat with a whisk or fork.
3. Prepare topping by mixing the oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon together. Add the melted butter; mix well. Add dried apples, nuts or flaxseeds, if using.
4. Prepare muffins by combining oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl; mix well. In separate bowl, mix together the applesauce, non-dairy milk, brown sugar, oil, and flax/water "egg." Add the dry ingredients and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
5. Spoon batter into muffin tin. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.

Enjoy!

Replies

• EducatedVegan
    Options
    Applesauce Multigrain Muffins (Vegan) - makes 12 muffins.

This is actually a recipe I got off the back of a Country Choice organic Multi Grain Hot Cereal canister that I've edited and make just about every other week! They're moist and not too sweet, which is nice, and have a nutty, grainy flavor. They are truly breakfast muffins- filling and hearty, and not just bald cupcakes. I use flaxseed meal with water as an egg substitute here- a great way to add some essential omega-3's and fiber to your diet, while skipping the cholesterol! Also, on the topping, you can double the ingredients, depending on how much of the fun stuff you want on top. It's pretty yummy. I like 'em.

Topping
    1/3 cup Country Choice Organic Multigrain Hot Cereal, uncooked (or any brand of a rye, barley, oats, and wheat combo)
    2 Tbsp. brown sugar (I use 1 Tbsp. evaporated cane juice, and 1 Tbsp. molasses)
    1 Tbsp. Smart Balance, or other vegan butter with non-hydrogenated oils
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    whole flaxseeds, chopped dried apples, or chopped nuts, as desired (optional)

Muffins
    1 cup multigrain hot cereal, uncooked
    1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1/2 cup hemp, rice, soy, or almond milk, original (just slightly sweetened)
    1/2 cup Sucanat (brown sugar)
    1/4 cup sunflower oil (canola works)
    1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed meal beaten 3 Tbsp. water (makes one "egg")

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 450'F. Line twelve muffin cups with paper baking cups, or lightly oil bottoms only.
    2. In a small bowl, combine 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp water. Beat with a whisk or fork.
    3. Prepare topping by mixing the oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon together. Add the melted butter; mix well. Add dried apples, nuts or flaxseeds, if using.
    4. Prepare muffins by combining oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl; mix well. In separate bowl, mix together the applesauce, non-dairy milk, brown sugar, oil, and flax/water "egg." Add the dry ingredients and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
    5. Spoon batter into muffin tin. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.

Enjoy!
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this recipe!! I love muffins!
    Do you happen to know the nutritional content?
  • EducatedVegan
    Options
    I can look it up for ya :-)
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Cool thanks
  • ElusiveButterfly
    Options
    sounds yummy
    copied and pasted it into my notebook...
    thanks.*S*
  • EducatedVegan
    Options
    164.7 calories
    5.8 g fat
    26.9 carbs
    3.4 g protein

So, not the most ideal, calorie balance-wise. But I don't know how much protein you can ask of a muffin. The flaxseed meal is high fat, but they're so good for lowering cholesterol, triglyceride, and blood pressure, that I prefer to reduce my fat intake elsewhere and splurge on these yummies. Plus, they really fill me up, and at only 165 calories, that's pretty impressive.

-Menna
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me with that info. That's pretty good... if they're filling I could eat one for breakfast or a mid-day snack (which I try to keep around 200 calories) so that's perfect. I love stuff I can make, stick in the freezer, and take with me on the go for all-day healthy snacking.

I have a book called Eat Up, Slim Down or something like that which has a lot of 150-calorie or so muffin recipes that I used to make and freeze. I will have to post some here and we can trade. :) Thanks again!!!! I really love muffins.
  • EducatedVegan
    Options
    Oh that's so cool! Yeah, I've got some great vegan cookbooks, but I've had to set them aside in favor of low-fat, low-calorie stuff. So it'd be nice to have some new muffin recipes!
  • ShakeDown1993
    Options
    ...muffins sound so scrumptious right now