Barre workouts for weight loss?

Options
Helllo, I recently started Purebarre and I absolutely love it! I am 5'4.5 and 146 pounds. I am looking to lose about 15-16 pounds and I am looking for advise or encouraging stories with women with similar height and weight who were able to lose weight and tone up with Purebarre. I currently do Purebarre 4-5 times a week and ride on the Peloton bike for 20 minutes 3-4 times a week. I eat very clean, but I eat around 1800-2000 calories a day. I understand that I would need to eat around 1,400-1,500 calories a day to lose weight, but I would love to hear recommendations for how many times I should do Purebarre for optimal weight loss (1.3-1.6 pounds a week) and cardio. Thank you everyone!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Since your weight loss goal is small, i would set your weight loss goal at 1 pound per week. They recommend eating back your exercise calories, but many MFPers eat back half of them. Barre is a relatively low calorie burner, so the results from it will be minor. If you enjoy it, great, but it won't give as much "toning" as more conventional strength training. Personally i would do full-body strength training twice a week (NROL4W, Stronglifts, etc), and do Barre as often as you like, assuming it doesn't impact your strength training recovery. :+1:
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I would go even smaller and .5lb a week - you are within the healthy weight for your height right now; also you may want to look at some kind of progressive strength building workout to help muscle recomp
  • hkell727
    hkell727 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am about exactly the same height/weight as you are. I have not done any Barre workouts but was thinking about starting. I usually aim for about 1 lb/week and I usually eat around 1300-1400 calories. In the past I have done mostly PIYO and was not convinced I could lose weight doing that workout. At first I really didn't lose any weight but as the inches started coming off so did the weight. I was very conscientious of my eating but I lost inches in places I have been trying to lose for years. there was a lot of core, strength, flexibility, and some cardio. I have no idea how Barre is which is why I wanted to try it - just trying a new workout - but doing PIYO 3-5 times a week worked for me. I think everyone is different but wanted to share with you my experiences.
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have been a fan of Callanetics (barre work) for 30 years, and they just released a new dvd! I also started to do PiYo and LOVE it! I am a swimmer, and these are so kind, gentle - yet very effective for toning, range of motion, and strength. I must try the Purebarre next!
  • jrolls79
    jrolls79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Does your PB studio have the platform classes? If so, do those 2x a week and the regular classes the other days. Your weight loss comes from the eating. I love PB. Like LOVE it. I was super toned from doing Barre only before I had my second baby. I still do it but I have added Orange theory 2x to help lose the weight as well as LCHF diet. (PCOS).