Aldi's & Fit n Active Brand

Options
I've always shopped Aldi's on and off since we've had them in my area. I find some of there prices to be very cheap and the quality of product to be relatively high. Especially for pantry staples. Recently a friend had been bringing some Fit n Active brand yogurt to work and suggested at 35cents a yogurt I give it a try....

I stalked up yesterday!
Here is the haul I got:
10 yogurts 35cents each, ice cream bars $2 for a 6 pack 140 cal *think skinny cow*, fruit bars, granola bars, wheat crackers, 100% whole wheat bread, and some canned beans, brown rice, two jars of spag sauce, canned mushrooms, hot sauce, frozen veggies, turkey 'meat'balls, a gallon of milk, and two dozen eggs for about $50 not bad.

I will still need to supplement fresh fruits, veggies, and meats. The quality of their fruits and veggies for the price could easily be purchased elsewhere. The purchases from Aldi's will easily last 2-4wks on some stuff as we don't use a lot of milk, bread, spag sauce, and I limit the amount of 'processed' foods I eat.

So what you think? Did I get a good deal? Do you shop at Aldi's? What do you think is a steal there?

Replies

• DRJJ2004
    DRJJ2004 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    LOVE Aldi's!!! We try and shop there 3 out of 4 weeks. We stock up on all the things we from there and then purchase the "brand-name" stuff and things that we can't live without (or get at Aldi's) at Walmart in the other week. It's a great way to save money. Was just there yesterday stocking up for the teenagers "again" this summer. :O)
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I shop at Aldi (in Germany... not sure if it's the same as Aldi's... but I'd think so)... best choco/amaranth Musli, organic salami, and whole fruit smooothies. :D
  • mrstrouty
    mrstrouty Posts: 15
    Options
    You definately got a good deal !!! My family and I have been shopping at Aldi for years. We have saved tons of money on our grocery bill. The fit and active line is wonderful, ( love the cereal) ! I can honestly say there has only been a few items that we didn't care for, but that had more to do with us than the product and the store. Aldi is great, we cut our food bill in half and get great quality food. We actually have to travel 45 mins to get to our local store, but it is soooo worth it !
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Honestly I am not the biggest fan of aldis 3 times I have bought meat there and 3 times I have gotten sick from the meat.This was at 3 diffrent aldis.There produce looks like crap,and the store kinda smells wierd ( i have a thing with smells because im nuts)
    Maybe its just the ones in the area I lived in but the savings is not worth it to me
  • corbansmom
    corbansmom Posts: 71
    Options
    We make a stop there every week, especially for eggs and milk. We are BIG milk drinkers- the 3 of us go through about 5 gals a week! Can't beat their prices on a lot of essentials, and I love that their milk is not only cheap, but it promises no growth hormones! Big plus in my book. I also buy frozen chicken tenderloins quite cheap there. Love that eggs have Psalm 118:24 on the carton too!
  • lelliebugh
    lelliebugh Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi stuff. I do not buy fruits and veggies or meat there. I try to shop local farmers and such for those. Great deals there.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Aldi has helped my family and I out when we're tight on money. My family LOVES milk but sometimes going to my local gas station has been cheaper. I'm picky about produce and meat, so I'll only buy theirs if it looks good. Things that I can't get from Aldi, I'll end up buying from Walmart or Kroger (for example: personal hygiene items). I do enjoy their Fit & Active brands and try to stock up on the ones I like.
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Our Aldi's is lovely! Their store brand stuff has been teenager proven, their meats have been good here, their produce is a hit or miss... sometimes it is spot on and lovely, and sometimes it looks like day old seconds. I shop at a commissary once a month, but do alot of my weekly fill-ups there. What I can't get there I get at Wally World. I think you got a great deal! (Freaked me out the first time I had to put a quarter in to get a cart, and realized they weren't putting it in free bags! (Wondered why everyone was taking the empty boxes... thought they were being soooo helpful! lol)

With Friendship and Warmth from Missouri!

Sonia
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I think you got a good deal. I've been meaning to shop my my Aldi's again. I usually get most of things at walmart for about 60bucks, so i think you racked up well
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I think you got a good deal. I've been meaning to shop my my Aldi's again. I usually get most of things at walmart for about 60bucks, so i think you racked up well
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You did well i love aldi's for milk, cheese, eggs and lunchmeat. Do not care for their yogurt and the frozen veges are limited but I have had great luck with the fit active products especially their frozen fruit bars and ground turkey.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi for pantry staples. Flour, sugar, oil, milk, eggs, canned tomatoes, black beans, baked potato chips, oatmeal . . . I don't generally buy a lot of produce there, because we have a great produce market about a mile down from the one by us. I'll get meat there sometimes, but prefer to get it elsewhere if I have a chance. As for processed foods, french bread pizzas and pork egg rolls are pretty much all I get there.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    My boyfriend and I shop weekly at two grocery stores - we stop at Aldi first, then stop at a larger supermarket. I agree that the produce quality isn't always the best. However, we definitely sometimes find good deals, even in that section! They had 2lb containers of strawberries for $0.79 yesterday......we got 3. When we got to the supermarket we saw that their strawberries (which didn't look any better or bigger) were $2.50 for a 2lb container. Definitely glad we bought at Aldi!

I agree that their yogurt is yummy and more economical than other brands.

Their frozen veggies are a great deal too (frozen corn was $0.79 a bag, or $1.30 for 6 ears of corn....you get the idea).

I don't eat a lot of processed lunch meat, but when I do I get it there because a)it's cheaper and b)it's gluten free...whereas other brands use bulking agents that have gluten in them, meaning the boyfriend can't eat the other brands.