less exercise= more weight lost

Options
Why is it when I don't exercise i lose more weight? I have been on this journey of this particular kind for the last two months. Up until last week I was getting in regular exercise (walking, some jogging, elliptical, lifting weights, high impact aerobics) and was not losing a lb, but the last 1.5 weeks i have stopped exercise I have lost 5 lbs... please can someone explain this to me for I though exercise was supposed to be like the new "in" thing.. i know if makes u feel better but it makes my scale have a mental breakdown

Replies

• ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Muscle.....is the reason. When you exercise you build muscle and it weighs MORE than fat does. So the scale will show this.

I know.. . . . What a BIG PAIN, but you will benefit more from having muscle because having it helps burn more calories.
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    when you start exercising you increase your blood flow, you lose fat and gain muscle (muscle weighs more then fat). imo, i gained weight when i started exercising 5 to 6 days a week...it took about 3 weeks before i started seeing results. that was when i weighed 248, im now at 211....and the weight is coming off like hummer burns gas!

have to keep at it imo, and eventually you will see results.
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I mean like I took one day off and started dropping weight, will muscle leave in that short amount of time?
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    When you do exercise to you eat back those calories?

If you don't eat those calories than you aren't eating enough and going into starvation mode. If you are eating those calories, than I'm not sure.
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    no it wont...but your body is adjusting to a whole new theme that you have introduced it too. it takes time for your body to respond, and respond it will...
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    bump
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Muscle.....is the reason. When you exercise you build muscle and it weighs MORE than fat does. So the scale will show this.

I know.. . . . What a BIG PAIN, but you will benefit more from having muscle because having it helps burn more calories.

It takes a long time to build muscle weight so I doubt thats the reason. Also muscle doesn't weigh more than fat per say- muscle is denser than fat ie. 5lbs of muscle is smaller than 5lbs of fat

Maybe your diet has been better these past few weeks?
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options

No it doesn't.

You are probably holding water from making your muscles work. Two months is barely any time. Keep it up, you'll benefit in the long run. Plus when you diet you may find you are losing muscle mass as well as fat.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    no it wont...but your body is adjusting to a whole new theme that you have introduced it too. it takes time for your body to respond, and respond it will...

i agree with this!
  • valerieheat
    Options

...and the weight is coming off like hummer burns gas!

LOL~! :-)
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options

It takes a long time to build muscle weight so I doubt thats the reason. Also muscle doesn't weigh more than fat per say- muscle is denser than fat ie. 5lbs of muscle is smaller than 5lbs of fat

Maybe your diet has been better these past few weeks?

I have been TRYING to work on my eating so it's probably that,
  • JenUB
    JenUB Posts: 84
    Options
    I have read that exercise, especially strength training, causes a person to retain water. So I would think that if you stop exercising for a while that you may be dropping water weight.
  • PinUpMommy
    PinUpMommy Posts: 94
    Options
    You need to drink more water when you work out. Otherwise you'll retain water, and not lose weight.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Your muscles hold onto water when you are working them to repair them. When you give your muscles a day off, they release that water. I have recently decided to take a day off from exercising for that reason and I'm already seeing results. Until recently I've been burning mega calories with exercise, having done the 10,000 calorie challange several times. But now I'm just going 60-90 min of exercise with one day off with better results.
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have read that exercise, especially strength training, causes a person to retain water. So I would think that if you stop exercising for a while that you may be dropping water weight.

Yeah, this was my thought too. :-) Good Luck and Have fun!

With Friendship and Warmth from Missouri,

Sonia
  • ACook42
    Options

No it doesn't.

You are probably holding water from making your muscles work. Two months is barely any time. Keep it up, you'll benefit in the long run. Plus when you diet you may find you are losing muscle mass as well as fat.

I am sorry to have misinformed you of the muscle vs fat theory... I myself have noticed the same thing and that is the way I have rationalized it to myself. I have since this posting looked into it further and found more information that would explain it.

BUT....my question is How much WATER can you hold onto from exercise???? Because a pound of water is still a pound as well.
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    Your muscles hold onto water when you are working them to repair them. When you give your muscles a day off, they release that water. I have recently decided to take a day off from exercising for that reason and I'm already seeing results. Until recently I've been burning mega calories with exercise, having done the 10,000 calorie challange several times. But now I'm just going 6-90 min of exercise with one day off with better results.

Really?
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    A pound of fat and a pound of muscle and a pound of water and a pound of beef all weigh the same....a pound...
    HOWEVER...a pound of muscle takes up less space then a pound of fat :)

And a gallon water weighs 8.34 pounds....so if you are retaining water that would explain the non-loss. Before I was exercising regularly and drinking at least 8 glasses a day my body would fluctuate throughout the day from dehydration. I could see my rings fitting very tightly at a certain point in the day when I had been talking a lot and active, but not hydrating.
    I would think it is water if it dropped off like that a day later...
    I would try scheduling a rest day with plenty of hydration the day before you weigh in, and continue to work out 3 to 5 times a week.
    Good luck and way to go for getting in the right direction:)
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I notice I seem to maintain or gain weight after going to the gym. I think the body just holds on to more water after a workout. I'm not physician though, so I'm just making a guesstimation :)
  • ACook42
    Options
    Looking further into this...I am finding that the water retention is a big part of this....http://ask.metafilter.com/50007/Why-do-I-gain-4lbs-after-intense-exercise

It is starting to make sense....It would probably be best if you didn't weigh yourself daily unless you want to see the fluctuation that occurs. It would seem that drinking more water (than the 8 glasses a day) would be good. BUT don't over do it because too much could be bad as well.

It would also be the amount of sodium in your diet as well......So many factors to think about when you are trying to make changes like these.

MY sound and practical advice would be to just try to set a weekly weigh in vs. daily.