Women who did strength training while losing weight

Options
Hi everyone I have 20ish pounds to lose to get myself back to normal. I usually weigh between 120-125lbs but gained some weight after having a rough time and currently weigh 145lbs and feeling pretty ashamed of myself!

I would be interested to see progress pictures of women who have lost weight while strength training, so if anybody would like to share that would be great! Any tips would also be great. I'm currently in the gym doing cardio every day, and trying to learn different strength training excercises.

Hope I've posted this in the right place! Forgot to say I'm 24 and 5'4.

Thanks

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I love lifting weights. I am no pro but I have gained muscle and am trying to slim just a tiny bit more. My advice would be to find a program that works for you and try it. Trial and error is what getting fit is about, right? I currently use bodybuilding.com free app, they have 100s of programs for different goals for women and men. The program shows you exactly what to do which day. There are videos to show you how to properly execute the move and suggests how many reps.

Losing weight is just eating at a deficit. I have been splurging a bit on the weekends, so my weight loss has been slow. But I own that because it's my splurging. :wink:
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just happened to do a collage today of my progress while strength training...

Tip - get on a proven progressive lifting program. My vote is always Stronglifts 5X5, but you can find many choices here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Progress photo: approximately 16 months between photos. 187 lbs to 171 lbs. ~17% body fat in the second.
    dqfd4dgw3zlo.jpg

You look amazing, sis. I'm gonna try to start doing more weight training but I'm a bit intimidated since I don't know what I'm doing. Is stronglifts 5x5 something I can do on my own?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    chispaza wrote: »

Tip - get on a proven progressive lifting program. My vote is always Stronglifts 5X5, but you can find many choices here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Progress photo: approximately 16 months between photos. 187 lbs to 171 lbs. ~17% body fat in the second.
    dqfd4dgw3zlo.jpg

You look amazing, sis. I'm gonna try to start doing more weight training but I'm a bit intimidated since I don't know what I'm doing. Is stronglifts 5x5 something I can do on my own?

Hey, @chispaza! Miss you! <3

You can do it on your own. I did. You have gym access there? Does it have a squat rack?

Check out Stronglifts at stronglifts.com. Download the app. There's only 5 lifts, bench, squats, deadlifts, overhead press and rows. It only takes about 45 minutes, three times a week. It has you start with the empty bar (45 lbs), and work up. If you can't do 45 pounds, start with dumbbells.

If you are able to do five sets of five reps, it moves you up five pounds the next time, hence the 5X5 part. ;) If you don't know how to do any of those lifts, there are videos on the website (or get a hold of me). Don't start with bare bar on deadlifts, unless you set it up somehow so it's at the height it would be with 45 lb plates on it. Doing deadlifts with the bar too low isn't good for your form.
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options

dqfd4dgw3zlo.jpg

You can do it on your own. I did. You have gym access there? Does it have a squat rack?

Check out Stronglifts at stronglifts.com. Download the app. There's only 5 lifts, bench, squats, deadlifts, overhead press and rows. It only takes about 45 minutes, three times a week. It has you start with the empty bar (45 lbs), and work up. If you are able to do five sets of five reps, it moves you up five pounds the next time, hence the 5X5 part. ;) If you don't know how to do any of those lifts, there are videos on the website (or get a hold of me). Don't start with bare bar on deadlifts, unless you set it up somehow so it's at the height it would be with 45 lb plates on it. Doing deadlifts with the bar too low isn't good for your form.

K, thanks. There is a gym here at our apartment complex and it does have a squat rack. I'll download the app. I'm ready to start workin and getting strong again.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

dqfd4dgw3zlo.jpg

Check out Stronglifts at stronglifts.com. Download the app. There's only 5 lifts, bench, squats, deadlifts, overhead press and rows. It only takes about 45 minutes, three times a week. It has you start with the empty bar (45 lbs), and work up. If you are able to do five sets of five reps, it moves you up five pounds the next time, hence the 5X5 part. ;) If you don't know how to do any of those lifts, there are videos on the website (or get a hold of me). Don't start with bare bar on deadlifts, unless you set it up somehow so it's at the height it would be with 45 lb plates on it. Doing deadlifts with the bar too low isn't good for your form.

K, thanks. There is a gym here at our apartment complex and it does have a squat rack. I'll download the app. I'm ready to start workin and getting strong again.

Oooh! I'm excited! If you have questions, video yourself doing the lift and text it to me.
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options

dqfd4dgw3zlo.jpg

Check out Stronglifts at stronglifts.com. Download the app. There's only 5 lifts, bench, squats, deadlifts, overhead press and rows. It only takes about 45 minutes, three times a week. It has you start with the empty bar (45 lbs), and work up. If you can't do 45 pounds, start with dumbbells.

If you are able to do five sets of five reps, it moves you up five pounds the next time, hence the 5X5 part. ;) If you don't know how to do any of those lifts, there are videos on the website (or get a hold of me). Don't start with bare bar on deadlifts, unless you set it up somehow so it's at the height it would be with 45 lb plates on it. Doing deadlifts with the bar too low isn't good for your form.

Thanks for this! I've been looking to start lifting and this looks like a very approachable way to start!
  • kytdkyt
    kytdkyt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Be careful not to add the 5 pounds Stronglifts tells you to add each time if you're not sure you're ready. Or, go buy a pair of 1.25 pound and only add 2.5 pounds each time. I've strained muscles repeatedly trying to add too much weight too fast, especially while working on form.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Here's another vote for the StrongLifts!!!
    I love it. It's awesome and makes me feel incredibly I don't know the word but after a session in the gym I feel like I can accomplish anything.

That's terrific that your apartment complex thingie already has everything you need. You've got this!!