Passing the Canned Fruit Aisle

Options
Aesop101
Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
After a workout a couple of days ago I thought I would head to the grocery to grab some spinach for a salad. It's my latest thing. Then of course it's never one thing. So I grabbed some bananas and an orange. Then I check out the rest of the store. Not sure what else I dropped in the cart.

Then I passed the canned fruit aisle. I started thinking, you know that's where I use to get all my fruit and almost never from the produce section. I wondered why I ever grabbed canned fruit. Then it occurred to me because that was just easy and of course the nice sugary syrup surrounding the fruit. It's tough to teach your taste buds to go for the fresh stuff. Then peeling some fruit is a chore. Took me a couple of tries to get slicing up a pineapple right. Somehow though I managed. These days I almost always have fresh fruit around the house, blueberries, strawberries, fresh pineapple, bananas, grapes, and oranges. Often I will keep a bowl of fruit salad in the fridge or use fruit as a late night snack.

I just cannot imagine having just canned fruit these days. You can get very use to fresh.

Replies

• corierose1212
    Options
    fresh fruit, yummy.. I bought a pineapple slicer from pamper chef and it works great makes getting it cut up so much easier.
  • DaFrogRibbit
    DaFrogRibbit Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Always have loved fresh fruit, just not the prices. Although lately i have learned to enjoy apples more. I even eat the peelings which i never use to do. Still peel my tomatoes tho.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My kids love fresh fruit. Went to the store yesterday and got them some fruit cups for the diaper bag but they got oranges, bananas, grapes and apples too. I need to start eating like them.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    The only times I usually used to get canned was if I was getting fruit cocktail or something for my kids & I got the kind in light syrup & then washed it off before they ate (mostly because I never liked it)....but myself?...I have never been a fruit eater fresh or canned...aside from pineapple, those things are a pain to cut & I prefer fresh. Lately though I have been making myself eat more fresh fruit & never buy canned for my kids..I don't think they care either way anyway