Going over calories

Options
When you are under your calorie goal on one day, does it roll into another day? would it be a percentage or all?? I seem to have been going 200less than what my 1200 goal is, but than on Fridays I go over.

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I don't go over too often... but if I do I always have another day where I'm that far under anyway. I look at the week as a whole so if I'm under overall from Sunday to Sunday I give myself a pat on the back!
  • Lauren38570
    Lauren38570 Posts: 239
    Options
    I was curious about the same thing to and the hard part is I work out and burn 500 calories mon-fri and don't have my excercise calories to fall back on for the weekends so that makes it very much a challenge but I Know tommorrow i'll go over without a doubt , going to the movies and I can't go without my popcorn lol
  • fionamacf
    fionamacf Posts: 39
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it. Look at the week as a whole. If you know that you are going out, having a celebration or whatever get some exercise into your programme and eat sensibly around it. Don't starve / binge - your metabolism won't thank you for it.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as well. I tend to have a day where I let myself go over in calories but most other days I go under. I'd think at least some of those extra cals probably count.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I always viewed my week as a whole and shot for no less than 100 to no more than 100 over my weekly NET goal (so yes, that means I ate my exercise calories).

I wouldn't make it a habit to go too far under 1200 often because your body does need fuel... how about you exercise and say burn about 300 calories... eat back 100 and "bank" those 200 for the day you plan to go over...

There's a million ways to do it so you aren't going hungry, your body gets what it needs, and you consistently lose weight.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i think thats fine to do that.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Some people base their calorie intake on a weekly basis rather than daily ..... calorie cycling so I'd say it's okay. I haven't tried that yet but I hear its great.
  • jodiem1
    jodiem1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes they roll over just like AT&T's minutes. Your calories are calculated on a weekly basis so as long as you are under for the week and meet you exercise goals you are fine.
    :happy:
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I would say if you're under most of the time, it's OK to go over now and then. I say the weekly goal is good rule of thumb.

I usually go over at least once a week because my husband and I love our date nights. I'm not trying to lose much weight, and I don't think it's worth it to eat something I won't enjoy as much when we go out just to save a couple hundred calories.

For example, last night we went out to our favorite local Italian restaurant... I had chicken parm with a side of fettuccine alfredo, a Caesar side salad, and probably over half a bottle of wine (oops). Was I way over my calories? Ummm, yeah. Was it worth it? Definitely. That being said, I usually know ahead of time if we're going out to eat, so I try to eat really well earlier in the day.
  • kimberly130
    kimberly130 Posts: 166
    Options
    Thanks everyone! that makes sense LOL on AT&T! :0)
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    On the days that I'm over I just call it 'calorie cycling' hahahaha!