Are Walking Exercise DVDs low impact aerobics?

Options
Hello All,

I just found out that I am expecting. This is my 1st pregnancy, so I am a little nervous about what exercises I should and should not be doing. I read that is okay to continue to exercise if you were active before, but should concentrate on low impact aerobics.

I think the walking dvds are considered low impact but I wanted to know if someone could confirm this for me?

Thanks!

Replies

• bobbiedr
    bobbiedr Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy!

From what I remember (I didn't exercise during my pregnancy) don't do abs.

I walked alot during my pregnancy. I don't know what walking DVD's have you doing as I've never tried one.

I would check with your doc to see what you can/can't do.
  • kylies1219
    kylies1219 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy! As for your question, you should really be asking your doctor about this. I know walking is always fine (and encouraged) during pregnancy but you should really talk to your doctor and see what he/she has to say. I wouldn't take advice from someone on here or from anyone in general because everyone is different and what might have been healthy for one person may not be healthy for you. Good luck!
  • randi50
    randi50 Posts: 112
    Options
    Yes, they are considered low impact. I do the Leslie Sansone, she does do "boosts" which are considered high impact, but you can choose not to boost. She says so on the dvds. Also, you can choose not to put as much emphasis on some of the others moves as well. My mil does them (has lost 100 lbs doing them) and she alters a lot of the moves or just walks through some because she can't do them because of a couple of injuries.
  • tatipose
    tatipose Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes, walking is low impact. "High impact" refers to when BOTH feet are off the ground. So, walking is safe :-) Have you ever tried the Leslie Sansone DVDs?
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I think walking dvds would fit the bill. Try Leslie Sansone's dvds. Early on, you could do the running parts if you want (if you have those dvds). Actually, some people run up until delivery. Congrats on the baby!
  • JenniferRT66
    JenniferRT66 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone to talk to your doctor about any exercise. I am an avid Leslie Sansone Walk at Home fan, and her DVDs are not inherently high impact, such as Tae Bo, Zumba, etc. They are primarily low impact, but as another said, depending upon the DVD, she does "boosts" where it's mild jogging, and that is more high-impact. But you can simply choose not to do that and keep powerwalking or don't powerwalk. Just walk, and do certain moves at whatever intensity your doctor deems appropriate for you.

Good luck and happy pregnancy, congratulations!
  • fit4life84
    fit4life84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses! I do have the Leslie Sansone walking dvds with the boosts at the end of each mile (which I normally do) but I haven't done any exercise since confirming my pregnancy. I was thinking I could do 2 miles (about 24 min) without the boost, but I'll just wait until my next appointment, as most suggested. Thanks!