Healthier snacking options for this sweet tooth!

Options
Hi, I currently work 10 hour shifts, and do not get a lunch break. A lot of times I end up snacking, which I know isn't great for me, but I'm looking for any suggestions of healthier alternatives! I eat almonds and carrots sometimes, but they don't help to cut my sweet/salty craving. Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Some fruit...
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Just eat whatever you like but weigh and track the calories. Don't think of it as depriving yourself. If you decide you have room for 150 calories, weight out different things. Maybe 6 almonds is less appealing than a bag of chips, then eat the chips. Maybe your prefer a few M&Ms over the carrots. OR maybe you try the M&Ms and you feel unsatisfied from them. Just work within the calories and you'll be fine. Also, notice the difference in volume. 150 calories of carrots will be WAY more volume than the same calories of chocolate. Or split the 150 to be 1/2 choclate and 1/2 fruit. Your choice depends in part on whether the larger snack portion is satisfying or the smaller portion of more calorie-dense food.
  • cmanj
    cmanj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fiber one brownies, etc are the best. 90 cal, 5 grams fiber. Mint is my favorite.
  • GottaluvFood
    GottaluvFood Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    1 cup of vanilla yogurt is successful to cut my sweet tooth cravings. I also put on wheat germ.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    A pint of raspberries is sweet and has tons of fibre, and low in cals. Also those thin chips ahoy are 140 cals for 4... love those things!
  • thirteenpointtwo
    thirteenpointtwo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like seaweed for salty cravings. It's very low calorie (usually around 40 per serving) and it leaves me feeling satisfied :)
    For sweet cravings I like some plain nonfat Greek yogurt with a little honey and granola (usually under 250 calories)
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Sweet:

Fiber One Bars (Lemon Bars & Caramel Cheesecake are my favorites)
    Dry Cereal
    Homemade Protein Balls

Savory:

Pistachios
    Sunflower Seeds
    Jerky

• rach021979
    rach021979 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    emvenz92 wrote: »
    Hi, I currently work 10 hour shifts, and do not get a lunch break. A lot of times I end up snacking, which I know isn't great for me, but I'm looking for any suggestions of healthier alternatives! I eat almonds and carrots sometimes, but they don't help to cut my sweet/salty craving. Any help is appreciated!

I've been eating Mary's gone crazy organic seeded crackers. 140 cals for 12 and low in carbs. I recently topped them with goat cheese and raw honey. Cured my sweet and salty craving! If you can't bring cheese, you can just do honey.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I'm on a Tootsie Pop kick lately. They last a while and it's only 60 calories per.
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like Chobani Simply 100 vanilla yogurt (only 7g of sugar) with Bare Naked vanilla almond granola (also low in sugar).

You could also make some protein balls. There are tons of recipes on pinterest that use PB or other nut butter, oats, honey, protein powder, etc. You can customize to your taste.
  • nickhinds88
    nickhinds88 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was already suggested but quest bars, carmel corn rice cakes, dried apricots, blending up some protein powder with frozen fruit. These are all somewhat healthier options to get your sweet tooth a fix.
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way with going over board on snacks. I chew gum to tide me over and drink water. I have been trying the fruit option as previously mentioned. If I cannot get the dessert craving to subside, I give in, track my portion and move on. I try not to stress too much because that leads to more cravings for me.
  • hallehoo22
    hallehoo22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to make yogurt parfaits. Greek yogurt sweetened with stevia and add berries and nature valley granola in the honey flavor.

There's also a really good skinny cookie recipe that I like. Mash two bananas in a bowl, stir in a cup of dry oats, and 1/3 cup of chocolate chips. Scoop the mix in spoonfuls onto a baking sheet either sprayed with cooking oil or lined with parchment paper and bake for about 15 minutes @ 350 degrees F. I usually add a packet of stevia too. You can substitute other options for the chocolate chips too. I made them with my nephew once with marshmallows and craisins instead and we finished them within the hour. The mix will make about 10-15.
  • hallehoo22
    hallehoo22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also love the boom chicka pop kettle corn which is only 70 calories per cup. Although eating just one cup is sometimes easier said than done...
  • VeganSarah0404
    VeganSarah0404 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Frozen Grapes! It's my nightly snack:)
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle dark cocoa powder (super low calories: 10-15 calories/tbsp.) on fruit (frozen berries:)) or mixed into some Greek yogurt/frozen berries with some Stevia.

Jello (I make my own with gelatin/steeped fruity tea and stevia); Protein fluff is yum too
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    If you work 10 hours, you have to eat. It's not "snacking" - it's food you need to eat, either in a big meal or a few small ones.

I like tamari almonds, Kirkland protein bars (which I hear are like Quest, but half the price), fruit, cheese strings.
  • brilynn79
    brilynn79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Banana or apple with nut butter. I didn't eat either before, but I'm loving a banana with a half tablespoon of cashew butter. Especially great before a workout.
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Sliced banana drizzled with honey. <3
  • hulk666
    hulk666 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Dont deprive yoursel of that candy bar or bag of chips. Have a few handfuls and feed the wild animals with the rest. If i have to pay for a whole sandwich but i just want the egg i will fling the bun and feed Mother Nature's children. They say after a few bites serotonin levels go down but u finish the food cuz u dont want to waste it. WASTE IT! Its not really wasting if u r feeding wildlife.