Under active thyroid

Anyone over 60 also taking thyroxine for under active thyroid. Just wondered if you have gone weeks maintaining then maybe losing half pound, I have not got a lot to lose but want to stay healthy , have 1200 calories allowance im 5ft 2" female . I do Pilates class and short walks xx

Replies

• ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    So long as your thyroid levels are controlled it shouldn't impact your weight loss. The less you have to lose the slower the progress becomes (unfortunately). If you are confident that your food tracking is spot on than you could try increasing the intensity of your exercise or try adding some strength training.
  • dorothyp3
    dorothyp3 Posts: 14 Member
    I'm over 60 with an under-active thyroid. The ONLY way I can lose weight is by eating fewer calories than prescribed. I've almost done in my joints trying to do it with exercise. Eating less is the only way I can lose, and I attribute that to the thyroid condition.
  • LakesLady
    LakesLady Posts: 6 Member
    I take Thyroxine and it DOES make you gain weight. I've talked with doctor several times about it. I even went so far as to stop taking it for a couple weeks and actually lost 4 lbs right away. I have to eat as little meats as possible and replace with proteins like black beans (great recipes) and mushrooms (beefy tasting). I don't know what else to do either, but the thyroid problem and meds I've found to hinder losing. I sympathize with you totally. Hopefully, if I can stick with this it will work out. I'd love to say increase exercise but I have other health issues that don't make it possible. Walk walk walk
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    if your levels are controlled then you should have no problem losing weight

however, medical range for healthy thyroid is large (.45 to 4 for TSH) - so knowing how your body reacts will help - my doc keeps my TSH at .45 and my T4 on the high end (higher T4 - levo - suppresses TSH) because my body prefers that, previously I was at 3.5 (which is in the normal range) but felt like crud.

as soon as my levels were where my body liked, the weight started coming back off - I also have to make sure I stay on the generic l-thryroxine - my body doesn't like synthroid (even though theoretically they are the same) - when I switched back (got put on synthroid due to different insurance), I just kept feeling worse and worse, but doc at the time wouldn't listen to me...new doc, back on original meds and voila!
  • momar74
    momar74 Posts: 56 Member
    My experience has been that, I needed to make sure my levels are normal and likely will need to check more frequently to get to a good level. Compliance plays a major role - take the pill(levothyroxine) with a glass of water and wait 30 minutes before you eat anything for proper absorption. I have been taking the pill for more than 10 years now.

As far as weight loss, with an underactive thyroid, I have to work harder for smaller weight loss. I had to stop comparing notes who are following similar programs who have euthyroid - no comparison. I focused on getting healthier and fit. Weight loss will be more gradual, though it is more difficult, it is not impossible.
  • Lamby62
    Lamby62 Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks everyone, I have lost 10lbs gradually either in half pounds or 1lb but then stall for few weeks, will persevere and try to increase exercise xx