Weight gain day after a running a half marathon?

torsaer
torsaer Posts: 211 Member
I ran a half marathon yesterday and today the scales are showing a gain of about 1.5kg.... not sure what's happened! Anyone else have this after a long run?

Replies

• Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 1,167 Member
    The scale will fluctuate daily for any number of reasons. Think long term.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    that's due to water retention, it'll go away in a few days. Congrats on the half :smile:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    My weight typically goes down the day after a long run, but that's not permanent either. Hydration level, sodium level, irregular eating pattern with post-race food, possibly an unusual sleep pattern . . . lots of stuff can affect the day to day weight.

Just don't imagine that because you're up 1.5 kg in one day that you'll be up 45 kg in a month. It's a fluctuation.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    I try not to stress too much with weight fluctuations. My weight bounces around with my long runs.
    Here are my two cents... For whatever it's worth. (I don't give medical advice)

(1) Your body will not gain muscle or fat that quickly
    (2) Tough runs can cause inflammation
    (3) When you really work your muscles, they soak up as much water as they can get.
    (4) Water consumption on a run including sports drinks to help with dehydration. Your body wants to hold onto that water to replenish itself.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Part of the muscle repair / recovery process.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Did you enjoy your run?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    I did an unofficial HM on Saturday and an 8 mile run yesterday. I too am up nearly 2kg and I'm not even bothered about it. Given how much my quads hurt I know that most of that weight is my muscles repairing themselves.

Ignore it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,527 Member
    Yep ... water weight.

I always gain after a long bicycle ride on the weekend ... pretty much every single weekend.

Sometimes I wish I wouldn't, but that's life. And on Wednesday I'll make tracks to the toilet all day and it will be gone.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    I used to lose weight after long runs, but I seem to gain as of late. I think it's mostly water retention from not hydrating enough. It comes off quickly and I fluctuate between 2 to 3 lbs all week long.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Congrats! Hey I have run 63 halfs. A half marathon will burn about 1000-1500 calories based on several factors. That's not even 1 pound. Now you might lose a lot of water and deplete the body of glycogen stores. But how much fluids or gels were consumed? And how much food at the finish line spread was consumed? You may weigh 7 pounds less or 3 pounds more the day after the race. But the event itself will burn less than one-half pound of calories.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    edited April 2017
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Stupid question- why would you get on the scale the day after?
    The day after a half I'm up and eating ice cream and pizza and doing as little as possible.

LOL! :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Body weight isn't static...your weight will fluctuate for a myriad of reasons both up and down. You likely have a lot of inflammation going on from the run...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I'm typically up 4-8lbs the day after long runs/rides - depending on hydration, how much salt I took in (too little/too much) and a myriad of other things - it dissipates quickly
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    The day after a half I'm up and eating ice cream and pizza and doing as little as possible.

lol!

personally, I do it cause I weigh myself every day - its a helpful data point especially when trying to figure out nutrition for long training days/endurance/recovery efforts
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,735 Member
    I never weigh myself after a hard workout since I always retain water. Usually I wait until after a rest day.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Perfectly normal water retention, I'll typically fluctuate a kg or so after long run days and more after a race.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

lol!

personally, I do it cause I weigh myself every day - its a helpful data point especially when trying to figure out nutrition for long training days/endurance/recovery efforts

I understand that- I used to weigh myself 2x a day- morning and evening- just to see what the average daily weight flux looked like. Someone whose doing it for data collection isn't going to be this concerned though- so I'd say both you and I in our needs/purposes are unique on that front.
  • torsaer
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Did you enjoy your run?

yes! I really enjoyed it - it was rather warm so I took it more slowly than I possibly would have done so no hope of a PB but good fun as I ran with a friend and we chatted all the way round!
  • torsaer

lol!

Me too - I weigh every day. Update - am still the same... but it's also coming up for TOM so I'm factoring that in as well! I probably have overcompensated on the carbs since the race and was finding that a low carb high fat diet was helping me shed so think I'd better get back on that wagon!
  • torsaer
    Congrats! Hey I have run 63 halfs. A half marathon will burn about 1000-1500 calories based on several factors. That's not even 1 pound. Now you might lose a lot of water and deplete the body of glycogen stores. But how much fluids or gels were consumed? And how much food at the finish line spread was consumed? You may weigh 7 pounds less or 3 pounds more the day after the race. But the event itself will burn less than one-half pound of calories.

63 halfs! that's a lot of miles I have done 3 now and really like the distance - it's far enough to feel like a challenge but I could never go on to do a full marathon. I drank quite a lot of water during the race as it was very warm. But I agree the number of calories burnt sounds like loads but actually doesn't add up to an awful lot. In fact some of my friends training for long races actually gain weight....
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    torsaer wrote: »
    Did you enjoy your run?

yes! I really enjoyed it - it was rather warm so I took it more slowly than I possibly would have done so no hope of a PB but good fun as I ran with a friend and we chatted all the way round!

Great, that's all that really counts. And your weight today is?
  • torsaer
    edited April 2017
    torsaer wrote: »
    Did you enjoy your run?

Great, that's all that really counts. And your weight today is?
    ...the same... 59.4kg. I am only 160cm and so would love to be 55kg.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Depending on how you fueled during the race and post race snacks, you could have easily eaten everything you burned. I remember seeing that big burn after my first half, then watching the deficit go down after I logged some post race beer and the gummies from the refuel station. That said I tend to hold onto water after runs of 10 miles or more. Your joints take a pounding and your muscles need to heal, so while you may not have lost any weight you likely didn't gain any either.
  • justkeeprunning91
    justkeeprunning91 Posts: 96 Member
    I gain about 6 lbs the day after my half. It all went away and then some in less than a week. I try not to weigh myself after runs longer than about 8 miles now, because I'll always gain about 4 lbs.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member

And beer!
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Seriously OP?

• torsaer
    Seriously OP?

Of course I didn't mean I wanted to lose 4kg after a race! I mean long term. I've been hovering around 59 for a long time and hoping with a combination of low carb and running that I would shift some, just a little. My 55kg is a long term goal!