Weight Training and Cardio?

Rajions
Rajions Posts: 128 Member
I'm on my 3rd week of INSANITY which is an intense 60-day total-body training program. I've decided that now is the time I should probably start weight training now that I have lost 10 pounds(90 more to go!). How do you guys incorporate weight training with cardio in the same day? Which one first? How long?

FYI: Each workout is approx. 40 mins long. Next month the workouts will be an hour or more long. I don't want to spend an hour weight training and an hour in cardio. Only rest day is Sunday.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2017
    I generally do cardio and weight training separately... Cardio at home on a spin bike (30 mins, 4 days a week at the moment) and weights at the gym 4 days a week. Weights goes for however long it goes for - I do specific exercises, and they take as long as they take. My focus is more on weights than cardio...
  • dryoung39
    dryoung39 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi Rajion I separate the two one in morning and the other in afternoon​. But cardio first. But if you can't do it like that there has been times I would weight train then cardio after. There's really no way to shorten it up.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    When I do cardio, I do them on separate days, however for me because weight training is priority I am careful not to let cardio impact my lifting. Cardio I like to keep 30 min or less 1-2x per week. Weight lifting is typically 45-75min 4-5x per week. Ultimately it will depend on your goals and which you want to prioritize.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    I do weights first, it's like eating your vegetables before having iced cream. A bike ride is fun, sometimes it can get a little too spirited and leave me drained when it's time to do strength training.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I typically do cardio on non lifting days. The exception is Saturday...if it's nice, I generally ride my bike to the gym and then lift and then ride home...but it's only 10 miles round trip and I go a basically an easy endurance pace.

I have spent the last few years doing quite a few "two-a-days" and it finally caught up to me this past year with having to nurse a lot of nagging overuse injuries and bad recovery...I had to take a lot of time off this past year and it sucks so I'm taking a more balanced approach to things these days and realize that I don't have to do all the things everyday...
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Hey Rajion! My cardio is running. I run every other day for an hour or a bit more. I lift either 2 or 3 times/week depending on when/or if I take a rest day. I modified Strong Lifts 5X5 to suit my purposes (I follow SL 5X5 workouts but added two more 5X5 or 5X10 sets to each session; equals 5, 5X5s and 2, 5X10s). As time goes by and I add more warmup sets I will need more time but right now it takes between 32 - 40 minutes per session; I follow this with some form of gym cardio for 20 minutes. Work strong!!