Sodium Free Chicken Breast Marinade/Seasonings?

Options
ehimass
ehimass Posts: 92 Member
edited April 2017 in Recipes
Have high blood pressure (140/70) and have been trying to replace deli meat with homemade chicken breast on sandwiches.

I tried making some with just a lot of paprika and black pepper for seasoning, and while not terrible, it's pretty bland.

Does anyone have a no sodium or at least low sodium marinade? How about other sodium-free seasonings to try?

Can I just marinate them in plain lemon juice for a few hours? Also counting calories so want to avoid high calorie marinades like oils.

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I tried making some with just a lot of paprika and black pepper for seasoning, and while not terrible, it's pretty bland.

Put a pinch of sugar in with your dry rubs, or like you said, use some citrus juice in the marinade. It will break down and carmelize the meat a bit. I'm not sure how well it will work without salt, but it should still change the consistency of the meat.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I have used this site...

http://thedailydish.us/

On this page she links to some other useful sites for low sodium

http://thedailydish.us/links/
  • ehimass
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, Mrs. Dash sounds like what I needed, I wasn't aware of that brand. When you use a marinade on something like baked chicken breast, how much of it should you log for calories? Is there a way to estimate that?
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Try lemon, lime or orange zest or juice. Or also a splash of vinegar to your seasonings. They brighten the flavor like salt would. I like Mrs. Dash seasonings too. I use Extra Spicy where you would use creole seasoning. I like all the blends but the original or table blend. Lemon pepper is good too just make sure it is salt free.

Here are some blends I made for my Mom. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/05/no-salt-seasonings.html

Also this Piri Piri seasoning is great without the salt. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/piri-piri-seasoning.html

Other websites to try:
    This chicken was AMAZING! dontsalt.blogspot.com/2012/07/greek-food-festival-lemon-chicken.html
    lowsodiumcooking.com/free/index.htm
    sodiumgirl.com/
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What diklibert said.
    Also a go to for me is cliantro lime marinade/sauce. It is cilantro 1/2c, juice of 2 limes, garlic 3 clv, water 1/4c, and evoo 1/4c. It also calls for 1/2c fresh oregano...i usually leave this out. Combine in blender. I make it creamy by leaving out oil and 1/2water and adding avocado.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    If you're still looking for ideas, I'd say search for some chimichurri recipes. It's basically herbs and garlic and sometimes a bit of hot pepper with a such or little salt as you like.
  • ehimass
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas, I'll see if I can try them all over the next few months.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I get staying away from processed meat, which is loaded with sodium, but do you have to exclude ALL salt in your homemade seasonings?
  • swebee14
    swebee14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My favorite marinade for chicken is pineapple juice, rice vinegar, fresh ginger minced and fresh garlic minced. Let marinade at least overnight and throw on the bbq, it tastes like there is salt and there isn't any. We also buy chicken breasts that don't have a solution injected. Only one store in our area carries it and it's expensive, of course, but worth it.
  • brittnichol
    brittnichol Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, Mrs. Dash sounds like what I needed, I wasn't aware of that brand. When you use a marinade on something like baked chicken breast, how much of it should you log for calories? Is there a way to estimate that?

Mrs dash is great I have 4 or 5 of them and they taste amazing. I use them on everything!
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Costco has an organic salt free seasoning that is very versatile