Protein

Options
Hi I'm New to MFP. I have a question about the protein I'm usually over by 13g is that going to affect m y weight loss?

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    No, you are fine.
  • snpderrick
    snpderrick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ty
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If you take too much protein and not working enough it can turn to fat.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    snpderrick wrote: »
    Hi I'm New to MFP. I have a question about the protein I'm usually over by 13g is that going to affect m y weight loss?

Calories are king for weight loss.

Macro goals (carbs/fat/protein) can help with health, energy levels, mood, satiety, and other things. But it's important to keep in mind that MFP's default goals for this are just one possible suggestion. They're a guideline, not a rule. You can eat in a lot of different macro splits and still be healthy and happy. It's okay to eat in a different way if it works better for you.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »

No, no it won't. If you are eating at a deficit you are fine. You just may feel full for a longer period.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

No, it won't. Only excess calories contribute to fat gain.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

if they go over protein but are still in a caloric deficit it wont turn into fat
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

No.

1) If you're in a caloric deficit, nothing is stored as fat. There is no net storage of fat while in a caloric deficit.

2) Protein is the macro least likely to be converted into/stored as fat. It's a very metabolically "expensive" process and the body won't do it unless it's absolutely essential.

To the OP - if you're using MFP's default macro settings, chances are good that you're not getting enough protein anyway. Eating in excess of that goal is a good thing rather than a bad thing and won't make you gain weight as long as you're staying within your calorie goal.