Calorie intake

Options
Angall08
Angall08 Posts: 148 Member
My calorie goal is 1200 calories a day. My question is am I supposed to go no more than that or no less than that? I'm a little confused about that.

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    1200 is pretty low, however I don't know your stats nor your goal.

MFP figures out how many calories you should eat a day in order to lose how many ever pounds you set it at a week. Calories buned - outside of this is not accounted for unless you took that into account when setting your everyday activities.

Good luck
  • Angall08
    Options
    I put all the info on my goal for weight loss, and it says calorie goal 1200. Not sure what it means. No more or no less calories. I'm sure it means no less but I'm not positive
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It means eat that amount to lose whatever amount you told it you wanted to lose. That's your goal amount to eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1200 calories a day. My question is am I supposed to go no more than that or no less than that? I'm a little confused about that.

What does that word mean?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What are your stats: height, current weight, goal weight, age? What activity level did you select, and what rate of loss did you select?

1200 is the minimum amount of calories that MFP will recommend for women. Additionally, it is a NEAT goal, meaning it was calculated without any estimates of exercise incorporated. As such, if you do exercise, you are meant to log and eat back at least a portion of those calories so that you should be NETTING 1200 calories.

There is great information in the Stickied Most Helpful Forum Posts at the top of each section. This one, in Getting Started, is particularly helpful to understand how to use the system and optimize results.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • mari_inman
    mari_inman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My goals is also 1200 calories and try hit that number (or close to it) and not use the extra calories added for exercising. Lately, I've been increasing the protein & lowering carbs intake and am happier w/the weight loss.
  • Angall08
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    You should aim for exactly 1200. If you are a bit below or a bit above then it's ok, if it's more than maybe 50 calories under then eat something else. In terms of adding exercise calories, then only eat back about half of what it says you burned.
  • Jellybeanzz383
    Jellybeanzz383 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello :) 1200kcal a day is not a lot at all. The recommended for women is 2000kcal a day and men is 2500kcal a day. If you eat less than 1000kcal then MFP will tell you that you are not eating enough and may harm your body if you don't eat enough. You could try changing your goals so that MFP gives you more calories a day to eat or you could do enough cardio (running, walking, cycling, swimming) whereby you can have more calories but still lose weight. If you do this, ensure that you don't replace the calories lost with food with same amount of calories, otherwise you won't lose any weight. If you need extra help then feel free to add me and ask :)

Sarah
  • Angall08
    Options
    I normally only eat about that anyway however the extra exercise is helping.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That 1200 was based on YOUR selection of weight loss speed - smart or foolish, and YOUR selection of non-exercise daily activity level - truthful or dishonest.

And that eating goal is ONLY when the day matches that. No exercise.

Life lesson.
    You do more - you eat more.
    You do less - you eat less.

So MFP works if you exercise - you eat more because it never counted on exercise when figuring your eating goal.

On exercise where the database is specific and you really did that pace or speed - eat them back, like walking or running.
    Where the exercise has no levels of intensity (Spin bike) - change the calorie burn to 75-50% of suggested.

Now your eating goal just went up - because you did more.

Now reach your new goal.

As mentioned above - what is a goal?

If willing to miss your eating goal by a huge amount - are you willing to miss your goal weight by a huge amount and say that's good enough?

As to your activity level - are you truly a bump on a log outside of any exercise, no family, no pets, no active weekends, ect?
    Then that would be sedentary, less than 4000 steps each and every day if no exercise.
  • Angall08
    Options
    What I mean by goal is it states it in my diary. It says goal, food, exercise = remaining. The goal says 1200
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello :) 1200kcal a day is not a lot at all. The recommended for women is 2000kcal a day and men is 2500kcal a day. If you eat less than 1000kcal then MFP will tell you that you are not eating enough and may harm your body if you don't eat enough. You could try changing your goals so that MFP gives you more calories a day to eat or you could do enough cardio (running, walking, cycling, swimming) whereby you can have more calories but still lose weight. If you do this, ensure that you don't replace the calories lost with food with same amount of calories, otherwise you won't lose any weight. If you need extra help then feel free to add me and ask :)

Sarah

2000 is the average MAINTENANCE calories for a woman, so while 1200 is low, a deficit of some sort (so eating less than 2000 cals) is necessary to lose weight.
  • Jellybeanzz383
    Jellybeanzz383 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Sarah

2000 is the average MAINTENANCE calories for a woman, so while 1200 is low, a deficit of some sort (so eating less than 2000 cals) is necessary to lose weight.

Yes, I am well aware of that. That's kind of the point to weight loss really

• heybales
    Options
    What I mean by goal is it states it in my diary. It says goal, food, exercise = remaining. The goal says 1200

We all know what you meant by goal.

The question was more fundamental than that.

What is a goal?

Because you asked should you go no less or more?

Basically, you eat that when you do no exercise, 50 above is better than 100 below.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    If you're playing soccer (football) or hockey or basketball or lacrosse, the point is put the ball/puck in the goal, not 100 feet above or behind or in front or the side of it. A goal is something to shoot for, not to shoot under.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

Sarah

Not for everyone. My maintenance calories are about 1780 at 5'6". Even plugging in a goal of losing one pound per week I get 1200 suggested from MFP. 1200 calories a day is perfectly ok for some women, especially if they are on the shorter side.
  • Angall08
    Options
    I figured mine said 1200 cause I am around 5'2 . I'm not real tall.
  • heybales
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I figured mine said 1200 cause I am around 5'2 . I'm not real tall.

So yes, even if you picked a reasonable 1lb weekly, or 500 cal deficit daily goal, that would likely be around 1200.

But the starting figure - is it honest?

Are you truly sedentary outside of exercise?

I've found vast majority that get activity trackers discover they were NOT, and that is before they get inspired to move more.

4000 steps or less is basically walking to car to drive to a sit down desk job where you don't get up, back to car, maybe short stop at grocery store, back home, sit watching TV or doing computer all night - no household chores.
    That's sedentary.

Is that truly your daily activity - including weekends?

If not, then be honest and select Lightly Active.

And be honest when you do log exercise.
    Like just because you finally got the treadmill up to say 5 mph walking doesn't mean you log that, if the total distance was 4 miles in an hour.
    Did you do Circuit training on machines with maybe 1-2 min rest between, then great, log that 40 min. But don't count time you stood around and talked or lost track of time on phone doing something.
    That sort of stuff.

Then just reach your goal for long term success.

If only 10 lbs or less to lose - a 250 cal deficit would be more reasonable too.