discouraged and not happy.

Started this last wk. Went to the dr today for boo results. I have gained 1 pound and found out my sugars are bad and my vitamin d is not good. I need to get serious I don't want to be a diabetic, I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy. I don't want these issues.

Replies

• samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    Good for you for recognizing what you want out of life. I agree I have extensive family history on both sides that make me predisposed to diabetes along with weight issues now, and a massive sweet tooth. We can both do this:)
  • thistimereally
    thistimereally Posts: 74 Member
    Hang in there! One week is not a long time for change to occur even though it can feel like it! Keep counting your calories and monitoring your carbs/sugars if your doctor recommends it. Change will come if you're consistent! And you can always come to the forums for support! I love using this place to vent when I'm having a bad day but logically know a lot of people are in the same boat!
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    edited April 2017
    I think you've made a great decision joining MFP. I agree that one week isn't really enough time to get any solid results, but you're on the right track. Good luck!
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Don't be discourage. We are all here for you. You can do it. Start out slow. No one started out perfect or great. We all fall and we did want to give up. What matter is you pick yourself up and start again. Always keep trying. I'm here if you want a buddy to support you
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited April 2017
    The people who I have observed here on MFP with lasting success--they don't rush, they are just consistent and relentless. They'll set a goal of half a pound or a pound a week and stay just a smidgen below their targets, minimizing any sense of deprivation, and keep at it every day until they lose 50 or 150 lbs.
    Since diabetes may be an issue for you, consider using an Atkins-like approach--make sure you are low (but not zero) on carbs by 25-50%, stay on target for calories, and don't worry much about going over your protein or fat targets (within reason--30% over would be okay, 100% over would not).
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    PS: you can choose which nutrients to track on your foods list, its in settings somewhere. Also, unlike other targets, the fiber target is a minimum--"good" is to be over target on fiber, "bad" is to be below target on fiber.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Just take it one day at a time. This website is a great resource - use it fully and commit to your changes. Good luck!
  • mcmasters06
    mcmasters06 Posts: 19 Member
    Wow thank you all for the encouragement. I will definitely be sticking around. I am just a little down but hearing you all helps thank you.
  • 1canadianmom
    1canadianmom Posts: 15 Member
    It is tough, especially when you don't see the results on the scale. I've been going on 4 weeks, and haven't really noticed anything on the scale....but in inches, I can totally feel it. Don't use the scale as your only means of measuring your success. The goal is to be healthy and fit. I think the scale is so detrimental to us.....and not a good tool to solely monitor our progress.
    Hang in there....I'm frustrated too....but we can do this!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Welcome to MFP and congratulations on realizing that a change needs to be made. That's sometimes the hardest part of getting started.
    Keep tracking your calories diligently and sticking to your daily goal. Changes will happen. They are slow but keep believing in the process. The results will happen.
    As Canadianmom says, don't rely too much on the scale. It will go up and down as many things can cause weight gain (sodium, for example). Rely on your calorie intake and the belief that this works....because it does.

Hang in there. Don't be discouraged. Remain determined.