Starting at age 30 possible?

Options
I just turned 30 this past year and have adjusted my diet and excerciae routine. Wondering if building mass is even possible or if I should just aim for a healthy rhythm. If building some mass is still possible I'd love to gain 10-15 lbs of muscle. Im naturally thin and haven't had any regular gym work most of my life. Ive started about a month ago and love it. Any advice?

Replies

• edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yes, very possible. Check out first sticky thread in this forum.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Before you start thinking about building muscle, where are you with respect to your target weight and body fat percentage? Thinking about a calorie surplus might be jumping the gun.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi Steve,

30 is very far from too late (if too late even exists)!

I'm 37 now and successfully building mass. It's all about sticking to a good routine and eating a crap ton of food. Being in your 30s, the biggest challenge may be getting in enough calories on a consistent basis. I imagine you probably have a busy career, maybe a family, outside hobbies, etc. With all of that, it can be easy to skip meals or just not eat enough over your maintenance level to pack on some pounds.

There's tons of good workout advice out there, I won't go into that. One tip I would have is to try to plan out your meals in advance for a couple weeks, at least long enough to get into the habit of it. If you know how may calories keep you at your current weight, try this:

Week 1: Add 200 calories on top of that
    Week 2: Add another 200
    Week 3: Add another 200

Depending on my workout level, I find I need 500-1000 calories a day over what I would normally eat to gain mass. The 500 is when I'm only doing strength training routines and the 1000 is when I'm also consistently doing more cardio stuff, like kickboxing on top of the weights.

See how that goes, get enough protein, and be consistent with tracking your calories. Lift heavy things until you can't lift them anymore. Switch up your routine every couple months, and keep it varied at all times. If it makes it easier for you, do one of the routines that spoon feeds you instructions on a daily basis (Body Beast is a decent one). Or read a good book like "Men's Health: The Book of Muscle".

Good luck!

Would second all of this @stevehubbard6911 . While I worked out for years, I was winging it. It wasnt until 3 years ago when I went to a PT at the age of 32 that things started to change for the better. I was skinny with no muscle before I went to him despite going to the gym but that all changed after I started going to him. Thus it is not too late at all. Do what @jesusHchris said above and that should help. I wouldnt go as far as planning out meals in advance for a couple weeks, I would just take it one week at a time but that's just me.

If you know what your maintenance calories are, increase them by 250, give it a month and if you see no increase in weight, increase again by 250 and so on until you see the weight going up.

Get yourself onto a good and proven workout routine.

At first you will find it difficult to consume so much food but over time you will get used to it.

Good luck.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Too old at 30!
    SMH

Generic advice - train hard and effectively, eat well.

If you want to be heavier then you are going to have to eat in a surplus at some stage but that doesn't mean you have to do it just yet especially as you are a beginner.

The more detail you give then the more any advice can be targeted at you rather than just generic ideas.
  • stevehubbard6911
    stevehubbard6911 Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi Steve,

I'm 37 now and successfully building mass. It's all about sticking to a good routine and eating a crap ton of food. Being in your 30s, the biggest challenge may be getting in enough calories on a consistent basis. I imagine you probably have a busy career, maybe a family, outside hobbies, etc. With all of that, it can be easy to skip meals or just not eat enough over your maintenance level to pack on some pounds.

There's tons of good workout advice out there, I won't go into that. One tip I would have is to try to plan out your meals in advance for a couple weeks, at least long enough to get into the habit of it. If you know how may calories keep you at your current weight, try this:

Depending on my workout level, I find I need 500-1000 calories a day over what I would normally eat to gain mass. The 500 is when I'm only doing strength training routines and the 1000 is when I'm also consistently doing more cardio stuff, like kickboxing on top of the weights.

See how that goes, get enough protein, and be consistent with tracking your calories. Lift heavy things until you can't lift them anymore. Switch up your routine every couple months, and keep it varied at all times. If it makes it easier for you, do one of the routines that spoon feeds you instructions on a daily basis (Body Beast is a decent one). Or read a good book like "Men's Health: The Book of Muscle".

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. I'm 6'1" and my normal weight is 175. Not sure on my body % fat. I'm naturally thin. I've been going to the gym 3x a week pairing up back/biceps, chest/triceps, leg/core. Eating clean 3200 calories a day. I've gained about 3 lbs in 3 weeks so far. 200 grams of protein a day.
  • stevehubbard6911
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. I'm 6'1" and my normal weight is 175. Not sure on my body % fat. I'm naturally thin. I've been going to the gym 3x a week pairing up back/biceps, chest/triceps, leg/core. Eating clean 3200 calories a day. I've gained about 3 lbs in 3 weeks so far. 200 grams of protein a day.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You would be really sensible to pick an established and well designed beginner's program rather than just make it up as you go along.
    You are only hitting each muscle group once a week - that's miles away from optimal.

Many programs will be full body three times a week so three periods of work/recovery/growth instead of your one.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    LOL!!!

It's not too late to start doing anything at 30. You're just starting to know your own mind and learn how to live life at that age.

Take it from this 66 year old.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I just turned 30 this past year and have adjusted my diet and excerciae routine. Wondering if building mass is even possible or if I should just aim for a healthy rhythm. If building some mass is still possible I'd love to gain 10-15 lbs of muscle. Im naturally thin and haven't had any regular gym work most of my life. Ive started about a month ago and love it. Any advice?

You're not dead yet!!!

You're only 30 (Hi, I'm 30 too).

sijomial wrote: »
    You would be really sensible to pick an established and well designed beginner's program rather than just make it up as you go along.
    You are only hitting each muscle group once a week - that's miles away from optimal.

Many programs will be full body three times a week so three periods of work/recovery/growth instead of your one.

^ This. And all the other sensible advice given so far.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi Steve,

Good luck!

+1

editing - jHc, Blue pup looks like a kangaroo. What's up with that?

• HookGripDeadlifts
    HookGripDeadlifts Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I started working out consistently for the first time at the age of 32. One year later I've seen an amazing transformation.

I don't think you're ever too old. Unless mentally you convince yourself you are.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    There are people that start in their 80s or even their 90s for that matter and have success.

It's comes down to muscle stimulas, recovery, muscle adaptation from increases, and eating in a surplus.

Find a structured novice program and run the chit out of it while eating in a surplus and you will have success.
  • stevehubbard6911
    Options
    tlock24 wrote: »
    I started working out consistently for the first time at the age of 32. One year later I've seen an amazing transformation.

I don't think you're ever too old. Unless mentally you convince yourself you are.

Was there a particular routine that worked best for you?
  • ShielaFrancisco
    ShielaFrancisco Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    age doesnt matter :p look at those wrestlers at there age.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    For a bit of inspiration, do a Google search for Ernestine Shepherd. She didn't start lifting weights until she was in her 50's I think.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Jeez - I started a few months ago and I'm 46. I've made fantastic gains in both size and strength and I feel better than I've felt in years. I *wish* I had started this journey 16 years ago. lol
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    tlock24 wrote: »

Same here, though I was 31 when I really picked it up last August. It hasn't been a year yet, and it's still hilarious for me to look at pictures from when I was 231 years ago, 150 last August, and 170 now.

It's never too late. Find something heavy and pick that *kitten* up. ;)
  • dinky2toy
    dinky2toy Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I started about 7 years ago... at 48 year old.... never done any excercise before
    and on top of that I had luck of being a woman, wich makes it even more difficult to build musscle
    In my third year of training I had a period of gaining 5kg pure musscle mass (based on mesuring weight and fat%)
    Althoug I know its prrobebly not completely accurate.... I´m sure I had a great result

So...is 30 year to old.... well hack no!!!!!