Bad veggi habits

Options
Need some advice, became a vegetarian last year, started off great, but bad eating habits and emotional eating has me on a slippery slide and a 14lb weight gain

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Well, I am a vegetarian, and waited until I was 124 lbs overweight and got myself some health issues before coming to MFP. Sadly, vegetable oils, cakes, cookies, ice cream, starches, cheeses, etc are all vegetarian (and some of the above can be vegan). Basically, and you'll see this a lot, eating in a calorie deficit is what's going to have you lose the weight. Nutrition and exercise are important for overall health, but so long as you take in less than you burn off, the weight will come off.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am a fat vegetarian. I recommitted to tracking in January and focused on eating healthy whole foods. I minimised packaged food and added sugar. I need to track because I don't really have a clue about how much I eat. I think I have it in check but don't and gain weight.

Whole foods that I cook myself make it easier.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Advice: Stop bad habits and replace them with good ones. No matter what anyone says, that's what it's going to come down to.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Just start logging your calories. Fat and carbs have calories too :) Eat less of them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 43 years. Was a thin vegetarian, then an overweight vegetarian, eventually an obese sedentary vegetarian, later an obese very active vegetarian, and finally became a thin vegetarian again at age 60.

Weight gain/loss is the same for vegetarians as it is for anyone else.

If one has serious psychological issues related to eating, seek professional counseling.

If one simply eats too much, one strategy (and kind of 'the MFP way') is to keep a detailed food diary and figure out how to eat at a level that will create weight loss down to a healthy weight, and allow one to maintain the loss.

If stress is in the equation (short of the kind of problems that require a professional to help sort out), then new stress-management strategies are part of the solution. Some possibilities are exercise, meditation, bubble baths, relaxing hobbies, or getting the stressors out of one's life if possible.

If boredom leads to over-eating, then new hobbies are a good plan - ideally things requiring clean hands, like knitting, sketching, or playing a musical instrument.

Did you have specific questions? ;)
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    My advice isn't meant to be disrespectful in any way. It's not even truly advise, but just something to think about, possibly.

If you are vegetarian for ethical reasons, then ignore this. But if you follow a vegetarian diet for health reasons, you may want to explore whether it's the best decision for you.

My experience with being vegan and vegetarian was great on an emotional level, but I was always hungry and craving. I really worked hard at getting all the amino acids I needed, but frankly, it was a challenge to consume all those legumes! Once I added meat back to my diet, I felt more in control of my impulses and have now lost over 40 pounds. The high carb content of the vegetarian diet wasn't right for my body.