General Question about Energy Levels/"Anxiety"

Options
Hi guys! I just started taking my dieting seriously, paying attention to macros and calorie count -- all of that. Nonetheless, I am feeling a bit tired. I'm guessing it's because I cut my calories by 50-60% compared to what I was consuming, so my body might be going "wtf?! we have no idea how to function without thousands of calories per day!" About how long does it take for your body to "get used" to eating like a normal human being? Days? Weeks? Months? I'm on Day 2 and I'm (now leading into second question) feeling super antsy, like I'm SUPPOSED to be eating something. It's like this burst of anxiety like "omg, I'm not eating something, I need to keep busy" and I think that might be contributing to the anxiety, too. The program I'm on is 3 "square meals" per day for just 2 weeks and then I move on to having 5 small meals per day type of thing. So yeah, I'm going from eating every hour to just a few times a day and that's mind blowing for me, I guess.

Anyway, I'm just looking for a general time frame of when your bodies and minds started getting used to a healthier lifestyle! Thanks so much!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may be fighting habit or boredom. Do something, ideally something you don't associate with food. Take a walk, take a bubble bath, play with your child or pet, knit, draw, play a musical instrument, do some yoga, go window shop, meditate, anything. Or just breeeeeathe!

The actual physical effects of eating less are one thing, but what you're describing seems more psychological.

Personally, I didn't do any particular "program" to lose weight, I just experimented with the timing and macro composition (within a healthy range) of my eating, to find what was most satisfying for me. I'd say it took about 2 weeks to find and settle into a pretty manageable routine.

• issiahs
    issiahs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was actually just thinking this week that I'm finally used to my calorie count. I've been doing MFP about a month now. The other post really is right though, doing activities instead of snacking really helps. I started walking and skateboarding if I got the urge to just snack on some chips. Usually you just want to be doing something and that's where snacking on random food comes in. Maybe you would have a better time if you didn't stick with the three square meals and just ate whenever, as long as it's within your calories.
  • SoyUnPerdido
    SoyUnPerdido Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    awesome, thanks so much you guys!
  • lrduff10
    lrduff10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found that after the first 4 days, I started to feel much better and had acclimated to the new program. But I think it's different for everyone. Good luck!
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    YUP I've struggled with eating out of boredom. It was NOT easy during the winter months. You will struggle, you still might even binge here and there, but at long as you stick to healthy habits the "need" to overeat will eventually subside. When I get bored, I stretch, take a walk, watch TV (not an activity I do a lot), or play a game that keeps me highly engaged. Most games I play are online games and it's too easy to snack while gaming lol.

Now that the weather is better, I plan activities outside my house during my days off so I don't sit at home bored and wanted to eat.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I will also have tea, coffee, or diet pop when I want something, but I know I don't need anything. Gum is good, if you like that.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I was a little off the whole time I was losing weight.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Idk about you, but I love snacking and eating smaller meals throughout the day versus three large meals and maybe one small snack. I personally feel hungry almost every two hours or so even with drinking water all day. It might just be consistency for you. Maybe you don't need to follow a particular program and instead incorporate more frequent meals and snacks that are healthier and more aligned with your goals. That, and drink water and chew mint gum to stave off that ravenous munchie feeling you get when you're wanting to eat, to eat.