Bakers--let's chat!

Options
racheldix92
racheldix92 Posts: 11 Member
Hey Bakers, Cakers, and all-around Sweet Lovers,

The hardest part of this journey is not baking all the time. I am a home baker and it's not uncommon for two or three different full desserts to be at my house on any given day. Baking is one of my favorite hobbies and greatest stress relievers. I love doing challenging flavors which mean a lot of trial and error and LOTS of taste testing. I have only made two cakes in the last three weeks because it was requested by a friend, but I wish I could have baked all day yesterday. I know part of my weight gain is all of the sweets I make because I eat them. Most of the time, I do try to give the cakes and sweets away to friends and family.

How do you guys get through this? It is really tough not having this hobby in my life. Have you simply cut it out or have you tried to manipulate the treats to be healthier? Does anyone have a "healthy" buttercream recipe?!

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I'm a baker who's not that into sweets. Irony I know. However, I can kill some homemade bread and butter.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Leave out buttercream altogether. I very rarely made it even before I lost weight - rather have simple filling and topping (jam and glace icing) and a bigger bit of cake! If you like the decorating part you could learn how to make amazing sugarcraft flowers or something which you don't generally eat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I used to bake a lot, but my lifestyle and eating habits have changed so I rarely do any baking anymore. My poor kitchenaid doesn't get much use these days!

I used to make things and give them away, until I realised how much money I was spending on things that I didn't even eat!

I've done the "healthy" alternative thing, or tried to lower calories or make more macro friendly options... But, who are we kidding? They usually taste like crap! If I want cake, I want full fat, real sugar, butter filled cake!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    mazdauk wrote: »
    Leave out buttercream altogether. I very rarely made it even before I lost weight - rather have simple filling and topping (jam and glace icing) and a bigger bit of cake! If you like the decorating part you could learn how to make amazing sugarcraft flowers or something which you don't generally eat.

I did a cake decorating course. So much icing ended up in my mouth... I like the taste. Diet Fail!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    @racheldix92 I bake a lot. I totally feel you. It is the best stress release ever. I've began to bake small batches or freeze some of what I bake.

Kids want cupcakes. Great. I make 6 instead of 12. That way I only eat 1. Or, if I make twelve I freeze 6. When we want them again I pull them out and let them defrost on the counter. Same thing with banana bread. I actually make and freeze that all the time.

I made soft pretzels last week. They also freeze beautifully. If I can fit one, I take it out of the freezer and nuke on the defrost setting. If not, they stay in the freezer. Kids like them in their lunches too.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I love the bake but had to cut back drastically. I can turn down a grocery store cookie or boxed mix cake any day of the week, but scratch-made goodies are my kryptonite. I still make something once a week or so for the kids and always make homemade goodies for work events. I have also been attempting a few "healthy" treats with varying success. There's currently a 100 cal chocolate cake in the fridge that is "meh" so I'll try and tweak.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    @racheldix92 I bake a lot. I totally feel you. It is the best stress release ever. I've began to bake small batches or freeze some of what I bake.

Kids want cupcakes. Great. I make 6 instead of 12. That way I only eat 1. Or, if I make twelve I freeze 6. When we want them again I pull them out and let them defrost on the counter. Same thing with banana bread. I actually make and freeze that all the time.

I made soft pretzels last week. They also freeze beautifully. If I can fit one, I take it out of the freezer and nuke on the defrost setting. If not, they stay in the freezer. Kids like them in their lunches too.

This.

I love to bake with my kids so we freeze a lot of cookies and cupcakes. This is also great if I want a cookie or cupcake at 10pm instead of getting a whole pack from the store.
  • Sjanneyr
    Sjanneyr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try looking for some healthier baking recipes so you still get to do what you love :) some don't taste great but there are some hidden gems out there! Here is one of my favorite muffins which are under 140 calories each and make great breakfasts. This tastes like carrot cake!

http://www.food.com/recipe/lizs-morning-glory-muffins-444761

You can also try to bake meringues, cobblers, homemade granola bars, or other healthier alternatives. I recently learned that Rice Krispie bars aren't too too bad in the baking scheme of things and there are a lot of fun ways you can doctor them (try browned butter!). Since you love experimenting with baking, just think of this as a new challenge!

As for the buttercream, you can try making vegan whipped cream with coconut cream. It's still fatty but not as bad as buttercream.

Good luck!
  • Wadeeee
    Wadeeee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I totally hear you. Have you ever considered baking and selling your cakes/goodies? That's exactly what I do. I get the stress relief of baking, with the bonus of sending it out the door with a client! It's actually turned into a great side-business for me, and there's no chance of me eating any! As far as healthy buttercream, I did come across this website...granted, I haven't tried this myself, but the ratios seem about right. If you try it, I'd love to know how it tastes!

http://www.veggiebalance.com/healthy-vanilla-buttercream-frosting-low-sugar/
  • Maddogpilot
    Maddogpilot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do all the shopping/cooking (lucky wife!) my fun is to play with recipes to see the substitutes I can do yet still bake something tasty. Gluten free for my brother and low sugar/carb for me.

As others have posted there are many good to go recipes to bake that really taste good.
  • SkittlesSeattle
    SkittlesSeattle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Girl, let me just tell you that the struggle is REAL. I bake cookies and boy is it tempting not to try one, ya know for "quality control" and by the time you realize it, you've ended up eating more than you anticipated.

I would suggest that when you absolutely have to bake, maybe make things that you don't like or necessarily would not choose for yourself. As much as I love a good cookie, there are a few that I make that I just don't like so if I know I have a function to go to then I will make those because I won't eat them.

It's not that they are not good cookies, it's just not my favorite. This whole portion and freeze and it sounds like it's a good one. Maybe try that.
  • abovethecity
    abovethecity Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I know the feeling so well. I love, love, love baking, but I seriously don't have enough willpower any more and have really cut down in the past few months. It makes me sad. I tried to believe that somehow I can fit in this 500 cal. piece of Kentucky Butter Cake or only eat one nutella chocolate chip cookie (my absolute favorite!) if I bake them, but that just can't happen any more because I don't have any willpower around homemade baked goodies. I did go baking crazy around Christmas though - so fun!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Another baker here who is not into the sweets.

Some tips are already mentioned.

Fill your sink with soapy water and clean as you go. No licked spoons!

I often replace most the oil from muffin recipes with applesauce. I've reduced the oil to a tablespoon with no harm.

Get volume and good protein by doubling up the egg. Whip the whites for extra volume and fewer calories for the same muffin.

The protein cheesecake thread offers all sorts of potential to experiment.

I'm toying with the ratio of fat free condensed milk to chocolate chips for a chocolate glaze.

I'm also experimenting with Knox gelatine and various fruit juices for a satisfying glaze.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    freeze cookies/biscuits/muffins etc and take them out one or two at a time if you want to eat some. Try experimenting with lower cal.options, like replacing sugar with sweeteners, low fat cottage cheese, less butter/oil.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Oh my, I know the feeling so well. I love, love, love baking, but I seriously don't have enough willpower any more and have really cut down in the past few months. It makes me sad. I tried to believe that somehow I can fit in this 500 cal. piece of Kentucky Butter Cake or only eat one nutella chocolate chip cookie (my absolute favorite!) if I bake them, but that just can't happen any more because I don't have any willpower around homemade baked goodies. I did go baking crazy around Christmas though - so fun!

OMG! I just discovered Kentucky Butter Cake! I always make 1.5 the amount of butter sauce and then make a glaze for the top. That cake is freaking awesome. I have made it with sprinkles for my sons' birthdays (SO much easier than a themed layer cake but they have LOVED their "donut cakes"), with a nut streusel for a potluck, and with mini chocolate chips (tasted like a cookie dough cake). That recipe is the BOMB. Unfortunately, yeah, it's like kryptonite to me. I only bake when I know plenty of people will be eating the stuff and when I can give away the leftovers. Otherwise, if I am honest with myself I know that I will eat it, and eat it ALL, in record time.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    This is terrible, and probably not helpful, but I run long-distance, and one of the main reasons I do (along with loving that runner's high) is so I can bake. Yes, my reward for cranking out 10 miles on a hot, dusty trail is going home, showering out and baking some cookies, cake or pie. I don't eat it all - plenty of people to share with- but that's how I get to bake and eat treats AND stay in maintenance. :o

One thing I do when I have extras is wrap them individually and freeze them. If I just let the pan sit there on the counter, I would want to eat it all. If I take and eat my serving(s) and then freeze the other portions, then the stuff is not right in my face and I don't crave it. Whenever I have a day with extra calories, I can just go to the freezer and take out a portion and I'm good. B)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    OP I hear you 100%. I LOVE baking. But I also don't exactly have the best self control around baked goods unfortunately (I could live off them, pretty much). Sweet or savory... really doesn't matter to me. I love it all. I grew up eating croissants or pastries pretty much every day, you know?

I volunteer to make desserts (and/or bread) when we have get together with friends or for Holidays, but now even my friends have all said to me that they've gained weight since they met me (which is possible, honestly), and I'm probably not going to go to one of the groups I was baking for anymore, so it's pretty limited nowadays. I still bake our own bread. I volunteered for the bake sales at school (even though it wasn't for my kids' grade) just so I could make everything I wanted to try and just have a small piece of each. I think I made 3 or 4 different things for each of them, lol. My husband's office is very small and I don't work so just bringing the extra to work isn't really an option.

Right now I haven't baked much recently and it's killing me, lol. I also watch the Great English Baking Show and it's always giving me new ideas of stuff to bake, which arguably doesn't help...

Also lower calorie versions are almost never worth the calories for me (Skinnytaste has some ok stuff... but I'd still rather use the whole egg for 50 more calories, you know?).

I do also try to have at least 15k steps a day to fit in more stuff.

But yeah, the struggle is real. Still planning on making Gruyere sourdough rolls and a strawberry or raspberry tart for Easter. I want to make bakewell bars, walnut/Stilton bread, and danishes too, but I have no idea when that's going to happen. I guess the funny thing is that I just want to try making new things, instead of the same old ones. I've done eclairs, croissants, cinnamon rolls, all kinds of pies, quiches, or tarts (pear/almond tart is probably still one of my favorites), financiers, madeleines, a Cannoli cake, banana/zucchini/carrot breads... all of that in the last year or so. Honestly at this point I really don't care about making regular buttercream cakes though (I grew up in France, never even saw buttercream until I moved to the US at 23)...

I do have a baking problem.
  • bowsontoes
    bowsontoes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Can you make them and donate them to a local bookclub, nursing home, church coffee hour? I know some places are stricter because of allergies, but I have a standing baking gig (free though) to my neighborhood's wine club. Usually my job is a conflict so I can't go, but I drop off the treats once a month to my neighbor the morning before the events.
  • fitzmonkey13
    fitzmonkey13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I've failed at weight loss in the past was that I tried to cut out baking until I couldn't stand it anymore and then I would bust out and bake cookies and eat the whole batch and then lose all will to continue with my healthy life changes.

This time around I'm doing a lot of the sensible things listed above. I've been baking my own chocolate protein bars for snacks and baking breakfast bars and muffins that work for the calorie ranges I want for meals. I've also been inviting people over for dinner every once in a while so I can bust out and bake real cake or cookies or whatever for dessert when there will be extra people to eat them. Any leftovers get portioned out, labeled with their calories and frozen. It seems to be working so far. We have a freezer full of foods that we can eat and track easily.
  • VlpW
    VlpW Posts: 53 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I feel your pain! Amy's Healthy Baking has healthy and/or low calorie cookie recipes that are really, really wonderful. Most have no weird ingredients (unless they are paleo). I've experimented a lot with subbing Splenda for some of the sugar in her recipes very successfully. Her Ultimate Chocolate Chip, Ultimate Peanut Butter and Sugar Cookies are my go-to recipes for any excuse... I mean, occasion. ;) This is the site : amyshealthybaking.com