Brisk walking

Options
marijananedeljkovic
marijananedeljkovic Posts: 4 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello,
What do you think about brisk walking (4mhp) on a treadmill? 45min- 1 hour a day

Replies

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I think its very decent mild exercise, or if you're a slow walker like me, more than mild. Good cardio.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    If you like to do it, then go ahead. I personally prefer taking walks outside or in an open area where there's wifi so I can walk and get some studying done at the same time.
  • nerodroids
    nerodroids Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    its a good exercise :) any walking is good walking, honestly im one of these persons that loves walking while making calls so i just take the chance catch up w family members :) i also use endomondo tracker since its connected to my fitness pal and it inputs the calories burnt automatically :)
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    What do you think about brisk walking (4mhp) on a treadmill? 45min- 1 hour a day

It's good but make sure you have some sort of incline. The real world is not 0% so the treadmill shouldn't be.

Start at 2% minimum and gradually build up. I often gradually build up speed and incline over 10-15 mins until i get to 10 mins at 8%, then 10 mins at 10%, then back to 8% for as long as i can. This helps push up the heart rate. Then gradually decrease incline until you're ready to cool down.

I fluctuate the speed a lot too.

Don't push to the point of really uncomfortable, but if you're getting a good sweat and a good heart rate then it's very effective!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello,

i think i'd rather walk - or run - outside
  • SashaQ1381
    SashaQ1381 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hello,

If it's bad weather, or you simply cannot go outside because of kids, then make sure the treadmill is inclined a bit. Or play around with the settings throughout the walk to imitate the various inclines in the real world.

Aside from just the inclines, the real world walk also incorporates different terrains (smooth sidewalk, grainy, rocky), and environmental elements (walking against the wind, heat from sun, cold breeze) that adds a little more to the caloric burn.

But just like you, there are times for me when I simply cannot just walk outside. So I do a lot of the incline walking on the treadmill. Just remember, EVERYTHING helps. The alternative is 'not walking at all' is worse than you doing your 45 minutes to 1 hour treadmill walking!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Hello,

If its something you enjoy and fits in your day, great!

I like to multitask. On the treadmill I can read a real book while I walk or a Kindle book while I run. I like to read, but laying in bed to read seems like a waste lol.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think its great! I took off about 2 months of any rigorous exercise and just walked for 45 minutes a day on my treadmill at a speed between 3.6-3.9 and found that I actually maintained my weight fairly easily. I really began to enjoy it as well. I was not as tired and found it more relaxing then always trying to push myself. If you enjoy it keep it up!
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hello,

If its something you enjoy and fits in your day, great!

I like to multitask. On the treadmill I can read a real book while I walk or a Kindle book while I run. I like to read, but laying in bed to read seems like a waste lol.

Reading and walking is the best advantage of the treadmill IMO. But you'd better do something to pass the time; if not the treadmill can be gouge-your-eyes-out boring! I know people who park the treadmill in front of Netflix--which is a good idea too.

I knew a woman who would read and walk on the local park's trails. How she read with comprehension without bumping into everyone is beyond me. . .
  • marijananedeljkovic
    Options
    What about weight loss and that kind of exercize?
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »
    Reading and walking is the best advantage of the treadmill IMO. But you'd better do something to pass the time; if not the treadmill can be gouge-your-eyes-out boring! I know people who park the treadmill in front of Netflix--which is a good idea too.

Netflix & chreadmill...

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    What about weight loss and that kind of exercize?

You just need a calorie deficit for weight loss. Anything that burns calories will help create that deficit, and brisk walking burns calories! I mainly exercise because it lowers stress, gives me energy, and it's great for my health. But it does also contribute to a deficit (as long as you eat within your calorie goals), so it's a great help (but not a requirement) for weight loss. :)
  • Isa_Bbott
    Isa_Bbott Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it's great! I do agree with other people that you should try keeping it on a slight incline, but go for what works for you! I've seen lots of people use indoor tracks with zero incline and that's exactly what they wanted :smile:
    Hello,

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it, it's great! I'd get bored on a treadmill but I love walks outside.

The best exercise is one you enjoy and will keep doing.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »

Netflix & chreadmill...

I "Treadflix" almost every night. Can't sit down to watch TV anymore. I immediately fall asleep.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's great! Like many of the other posters here, I have a treadmill set up in front of a TV. Burning calories while watching netflix or playing video games is awesome!