Protein?

Options
MrsTits
MrsTits Posts: 44 Member
Noticed that I'm low on protein every day, normally I'm only getting about a 3rd or less than what is recommended.

I'm vegetarian and don't eat fish either. What foods can I eat to increase protein that aren't high in fat or carbs?

Is there such a thing as a protein supplement or pill?

Thanks

Replies

• HalloweenNinja
    Options
    I'm wondering how you managed to miss all the thousands upon thousands of protein supplement adverts you see plastered on poster boards, magazines and internet banners.
  • EmilyQC
    EmilyQC Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    you can buy protein powder... also nuts and peanut butter, some grains, some beans.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Cheese and dairy, beans and nuts are the main veggie sources. Try grains like quinoa as well.

And yes, there are any number of protein supplements available!
  • 1of4LittleSis
    Options
    Nuts toffu ,soya and seeds would be your best choice I would have thought.
  • twink44
    twink44 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Consider beans as the best source for your protein needs. Some grains offer more protein than others. Do you eat dairy or eggs? I was a total vegan in my twenties and got very chubby trying to meet my protein needs. Nuts and nut butters are great but dense with calories. You also need healthy fats for your cells and brain. Soy is definitely a vegetable source, but I worry about the results over a lifetime of a high soy diet. Do some research. Good luck. It's not easy being Vegan, but if your hearts in it - you'll find the right way to stay on the path.
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I eat kidney beans for lunch every day! They are so tasty, and I find the texture super satisfying. Also steel cut oats and quinoa are great sources of protein.