Do I need a HRM??

Options
Hi guys,

simple question really, but

Do i need a hrm to figure out how many calories I am burning in the gym?

I always thought the exercise machines (elliptical, treadclimber, bike, etc) would measure that automatically?

What is your opinion please?

Thank you.

Replies

• Hanna1983
    Hanna1983 Posts: 251
    Options
    Hi guys,

simple question really, but

Do i need a hrm to figure out how many calories I am burning in the gym?

I always thought the exercise machines (elliptical, treadclimber, bike, etc) would measure that automatically?

What is your opinion please?

Thank you.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    you don't NEED one... but they are definitely a handy little "toy" that will keep you wanting to exercise more just to "play" with it- and yes, your calorie burn should be more accurate which'll help out tremendously when it comes to eating the right amount back.
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    OK so that is kind of what I was hoping for, that they would be more accurate.

However I dont have £80 to splash out on one.

Are there any cheaper rbands that are also reliable and precise? Polar seems quite expensive...
  • hgam1
    hgam1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi Hanna was actually looking into getting myself one as well. I'll suggest you try buying one off the internet. There are lots of websites selling them. You'll be able to compare prices then and a suitable one for you. I note that there are all sorts! and price ranging. I take it you are in the States, I've got a bit of prices here but they're all in £ which is no good to you. Good luck
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Hi hgam1,

I am actually in London UK , not the States :-)
    so £ prices would be perfect!

I am just worried I splash out on a hrm which wont give me any better readings than what i get for free at the gym when looking at the display of the machines.

I saw some on fitness megastore but they still seem a bit pricey if you are not sure they are worth the money if you know what I mean :-)

H
  • hgam1
    Options
    Well in that case, I found the Polar FT40 (female) HRM for £55.00. I think that is as low as one can reasonably go without having to buy a dodgy one. What do you think price still too high?
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    no that sounds ok. but will it work?
    the main thing for me is that it shows the calories I have burnt because I worry that the machines at the gym tell me a higher number than I actually have burtn off and then I try and eat my exercise calories and go over without knowing.
    Maybe thats a stupid question, but I dont know mcuh about technical stuff. Why is the hrm more acurate than the machines?

Thank you! :flowerforyou:

PS: where did you find it for £55 ??? everywhere i look the FT40 is not under £125 ...
  • hgam1
    Options
    Was just about to write to you to give you the site....Soz, made an error there was looking at the wrong price. However, I found this on my old WL site I use to be with. OK, £20 more but it's the cheapest I can see so far. Sorry I got your heart racing there for a deal:bigsmile:

Polar F7 Heart Rate Monitor Silver
    Sized For Women

In Stock.
    was £99.50
    now £74.62

Go to www.weightlossresoureces.co.uk
  • hgam1
    Options
    Maybe thats a stupid question, but I dont know mcuh about technical stuff. Why is the hrm more acurate than the machines?

Thank you! :flowerforyou:

PS: where did you find it for £55 ??? everywhere i look the FT40 is not under £125 ...
    [/quote]

I'm no expert either so don't quote me but I I reckon because the HRM measures your own pulse, and obv you in put your gender and possible weight and height instead of a machine in the gym that will not take into account these factors.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    It's more accurate because it's reading your heart rate. It doesn't just estimate based on your weight. Also, the machines at the gym can get off...what's the word..and be callabrated (ew spelling) incorrectly. Think about how many people get on those machines...hard for them to stay accurate. And their accuracy is an estimate based on your weight and a few calculations. Am I making sense?

I love my HRM. Not only does it tell me the calories burned, but it's also really great so that I know and maintain a healthy heart rate.
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I use mine not so much for the calorie calculation but to let me know when I am overworking. There is no point in killing myself, I enjoy my exercise much better if I keep my heart rate reasonable and don't over do it. It has actually helped me learn to enjoy working out. Just my two cents and I know it doesn't really answer your question of the calorie calculation thing. :smile:
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Be very carefully which one you buy, a lot of peopel on here swear by the polar - sounds like it's worth a try.
    I got a cheap one - and well... you get what you pay for, mine reckons I burn 730 calories in a 20 minute ride on my exercise bike - don't think so somehow :noway:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I agree with allaboutme. It does help to monitor so you don't overexert. Also, it's a great motivator for me. I decide before I go to the gym how many calories I want to burn that day and will work my little hiney off until those calories are burned, sometimes just ending by running up the stairs for five minutes, which no machine will tell you, to keep my heart rate up to get those extra 50 calories or so.
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I saved and bought the polar F11. It was worth it...I can actually work out longer if I keep my heart rate in the 65% to 80% zone. Once in awhile I work out hard & fast in the 90% zone but just for 5 minutes or so at a time. I think you can get the F4 for about 90.00 at the polar website. That is a non-coded one. Meaning if you wear it at the gym it may pick up other people's HRM's.
  • candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    No, the F4 is coded. This is from the Polar website:

F4
    At a GlanceFull FeaturesFor disappearing caloriesFor you who want to get a fitter body by knowing how many calories you have burned. The small and simple F4 gives you accurate information and motivates you to reach your targets.
    See how many calories you have burned Get interference-free data with coded heart rate transmission Helps you keep the intensity you want
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Thank you candycaneps!!! :smile:
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Hi guys,

just a quick thank you for all your good advise re the HRM.

I bought one today (Polar F11) and so did my boyfriend. Im excited to see how many calories i am really burning when exercising, and especially since we just got the Wii I am curious to see how much calories I burn during a boxing game :bigsmile:

Thanks everyone!
  • xtraquispe
    xtraquispe Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hanna- I'm thinking of the F11, please tell me how you ended up liking it!