Options

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Just want to put this out there for some of the newbies, and others that may be a bit confused about the whole concept of "CICO"- Calories in VS Calories Out.

First, CICO is a math formula that will tell you one of three things.

If you want to lose weight, then you need to make your Calories In less than Out = calorie deficit to lose weight.

Second, if you want to maintain then you need of make your calories in = calories out = maintenance to maintain current weight.

Finally, if you want to gain, then you need to make your calories in greater than your calories out = caloric surplus.

CICO is not a way of eating, I repeat CICO is not a way of eating. If you are doing Keto, low carb, moderate protein/moderate carbs, IIFYM, etc and you are gaining, maintaining, or losing weight then you are using the fundamental principle of CICO.

CICO is not eating a diet of 100% "junk," or ignoring nutrition, or not caring about body composition, it is just a math formula that tells you to reach a goal. The formula is not perfect and it requires trial and error, but in the end it works for everyone, period.

If your goal is straight weight loss then you can just apply CICO, and eat less than you burn.
    If your goal is to be more lean, or have advanced body composition goals, then you are going to need macro/micro adherence + a structured exercise regimen.

Finally, all calories are equal in that they provide the same measure of energy; however, they do not all contain the same nutritional profile.

Yes it is a math formula yet we have no way of knowing our own CICO short of going to an expensive lab. What if one is taking Pycnogenol, etc that is blocking some complex carbs from being used as energy? How do you know how many calories to subtract from CI? CICO does not factor in efficiency of digestion. What about people with health conditions that lower their metabolism?

I give you even though it is nothing precise CICO guessimations may be helpful as we start to order our disordered WOE's.

There is one way that any of us can determine our true net CICO results and that is to weigh our body say the first thing each morning before we eat or drink anything and track those numbers. One could do it once a week or month if she wishes.

See my post upthread. One doesn't need to know CICO exactly, to the tenth of a calorie. That there are variables for some people does not invalidate the entire concept. It's not only helpful at the beginning, it is the overarching principle behind the entire weight management process.

I get that you have medical conditions that you've managed/mitigated through a change in your way of eating and resulting weight loss. Do you acknowledge that no matter how you ate, all the coffee with 8 creamers and round eggs at McDonalds... it's CICO that governed your weight loss? And that was a contributing factor to your health improvements? If you hadn't lost a single pound, but changed your diet, do you think you would have had the same results? What if you had lost weight but hadn't changed to a LCHF diet?

This "entire concept" of CICO is so vague that it might not be helpful at all. It's a jargon for many. If you are going for concepts there are others that may be more helpful than it such as "eat less, move more" since it is layman's terms. I would bet less people would incline to argue about "eat less, move more".

But its not. It's an equation. The fact that some people seem unable to wrap their heads around it, or seem to willfully resist conceding that it exists doesn't change that.

You don't understand. Wino put it correctly, it's [just] a concept.

For it to be some sort of useful equation, let a lone a math formula, it would need alot more elements.
    Wait, MFP can tell you approximately how much to eat to lose weight based on information one inputs. Now all one has to do is FOLLOW it.

Implementation wise, it wasn't that simple. I needed to make several adjustments. No way to get accurate "calorie out" numbers. My days are different. Calories from foods were also rough estimates for me.

• crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The issue for many people IMO, is that some just don't math well or as mentioned are just inaccurate in their calories eaten and burned. But it works PERIOD. Without it weight gain/loss/maintenance doesn't happen.
    And I'm the exact opposite. I math well, so figuring this out and learning to count calories has made weight loss very simple for me. If I go over, I don't lose what I want. It's a math problem for me. I find this way easier than cutting out foods.

Yeah, I'm an accountant...it was a no brainer for me. I just had to keep another ledger to track it...I keep lots of ledgers.

Geek.

Oh, wait. I'm an accountant too.

Through my years here, I've noticed that a great many people who have success calorie counting and otherwise keeping track of their CICO are in professions such as accounting and engineering and/or are otherwise a bit anal retentive about things.
    The issue for many people IMO, is that some just don't math well or as mentioned are just inaccurate in their calories eaten and burned. But it works PERIOD. Without it weight gain/loss/maintenance doesn't happen.
    And I'm the exact opposite. I math well, so figuring this out and learning to count calories has made weight loss very simple for me. If I go over, I don't lose what I want. It's a math problem for me. I find this way easier than cutting out foods.

Yeah, I'm an accountant...it was a no brainer for me. I just had to keep another ledger to track it...I keep lots of ledgers.

Geek.

Oh, wait. I'm an accountant too.

Can I join the math club? I get lots of spreadsheets from actuaries and listen very attentively while they 'splain it to me...twice.* CICO is a snap once you grapple with Monte Carlo simulations...plus it has the added benefit of dealing with food, not with death. YAY.

*I will swan about in actuary-land with my free calculator I got from a local arts organization. VERY IMPRESSIVE.

I'll allow it...

The math really isn't that hard though. I'm a stay at home mom with an English/political science degree and I can't even help my 6th grader with her math homework. Somehow I still figured out CICO and lost 50lbs. If I can do it, then everyone can do it :p

To be fair, it's much easier for those who do not have medical issues to calculate CICO as they don't have additional variables that impact CO.

I started this whole process as a prediabetic, and come from a family tree filled with obesity and obesity related diseases, (I was told by my former doctor that my high glucose numbers were most likely genetic-nope, they were caused because I was overweight). We all have individual variables, but I do think the math is still pretty simple :)
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Great thread @ndj1979! Lots of helpful information.
This discussion has been closed.