Sugar in tea

Options
Anyone know anyone sugars that I could put in my tea that are low in calories and kinda natural

Not fussed on sweeteners at all baring in mind

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Stevia?

Get a fruity tea... I find those kind of sweet
  • dothefreddy
    dothefreddy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I found monk fruit to be quite nice in tea.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    As a big sweet tea drinker, I used to be really concerned about this. My advice is going use the sugar you use now and gradually cut back. Turns out, tea doesn't really need sugarsugar once your palate readjusts. ;)
  • Tazzie0208
    Tazzie0208 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I usually do not drink tea with sugar, but if I added lemon I use stevia. Just an 8th of a tiny spoon. that's enough for up to 12 oz cup.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My sister uses honey. I prefer it unsweetened, myself. Maybe adding some organic apple juice to a pot of tea would work (I don't know if that is more or fewer calories than straight sugar).
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    This is my problem too, I love sweet milky Yorkshire tea, I've managed to cut back to half a sugar a cup and every other cup of tea I've started having tea infusions (twinings gingerbread green tea and clippers chameleon cinnamon infusion) to get my hot sweet fix without the cals. I drink at least 6 cups of tea a day and it was beasting my calorie allowance.

I never really liked green or fruity teas before but I've acquired the taste and they're pretty good when you find the ones you like.

As for sweeteners I guess stevia and I used to use splenda, you could half and half with your normal sugar?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    As a big sweet tea drinker, I used to be really concerned about this. My advice is going use the sugar you use now and gradually cut back. Turns out, tea doesn't really need sugar once your palate readjusts. ;)

This^

I drink iced tea, no sweetener. But I changed the way I make it. If I use just black tea bags the tea is stronger than if I use a combination of black & flavored tea bags. Flavored tea mellows it out.

Look for different flavors. Don't steep green tea in boiling water (very bitter). Step down your sugar usage gradually. This will give you a lifetime of tea enjoyment without worrying about calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use a packet of Splenda Natural (made with stevia) in my tea. I really enjoy the taste of it.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Granulated (devil) sugar.

The one sat in my sugar bowl from (the devil corp) Tate & Lyle is 20 calories per 5g.

I'd say that pretty low calorie.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Stevia or erythritol are my favourite. Check out "Swerve" on Amazon, it's a wonderful sugar alternative with no weird aftertaste.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    A nice overview of erythritol here: https://authoritynutrition.com/erythritol/
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I use stevia if it's a variety of tea that I prefer sweetened. Natural and no calories. It also tastes good (as long as you don't accidentally put too much in...which is easy since you need such a tiny amount).