Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The issue for many people IMO, is that some just don't math well or as mentioned are just inaccurate in their calories eaten and burned. But it works PERIOD. Without it weight gain/loss/maintenance doesn't happen.
    And I'm the exact opposite. I math well, so figuring this out and learning to count calories has made weight loss very simple for me. If I go over, I don't lose what I want. It's a math problem for me. I find this way easier than cutting out foods.

Yeah, I'm an accountant...it was a no brainer for me. I just had to keep another ledger to track it...I keep lots of ledgers.

Geek.

Oh, wait. I'm an accountant too.

Through my years here, I've noticed that a great many people who have success calorie counting and otherwise keeping track of their CICO are in professions such as accounting and engineering and/or are otherwise a bit anal retentive about things.
    The issue for many people IMO, is that some just don't math well or as mentioned are just inaccurate in their calories eaten and burned. But it works PERIOD. Without it weight gain/loss/maintenance doesn't happen.
    And I'm the exact opposite. I math well, so figuring this out and learning to count calories has made weight loss very simple for me. If I go over, I don't lose what I want. It's a math problem for me. I find this way easier than cutting out foods.

Yeah, I'm an accountant...it was a no brainer for me. I just had to keep another ledger to track it...I keep lots of ledgers.

Geek.

Can I join the math club? I get lots of spreadsheets from actuaries and listen very attentively while they 'splain it to me...twice.* CICO is a snap once you grapple with Monte Carlo simulations...plus it has the added benefit of dealing with food, not with death. YAY.

*I will swan about in actuary-land with my free calculator I got from a local arts organization. VERY IMPRESSIVE.

I'll allow it...

The math really isn't even that hard though. I'm a stay at home mom with an English/political science degree and I can't even help my 6th grader with her math homework. Somehow I still figured out CICO and lost 50lbs. If I can do it, then everyone can do it :p

This. Nobody is worse at math than me and once I read a few decent threads here, I was able to understand all the math I needed to make it work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Geek.

Through my years here, I've noticed that a great many people who have success calorie counting and otherwise keeping track of their CICO are in professions such as accounting and engineering and/or are otherwise a bit anal retentive about things.

Geek.

Can I join the math club? I get lots of spreadsheets from actuaries and listen very attentively while they 'splain it to me...twice.* CICO is a snap once you grapple with Monte Carlo simulations...plus it has the added benefit of dealing with food, not with death. YAY.

*I will swan about in actuary-land with my free calculator I got from a local arts organization. VERY IMPRESSIVE.

I'll allow it...

Eek! I'm an artist. I don't play well with maths.
    I must be a freak of nature.

Fortunately, quite early on I figure out my own numbers to work with.
    Now, I rarely count, have never owned a fitness/step tracker, and weigh myself occasionally- I go by the visuals.

7 years maintenance isn't bad for a non-accountant B)

Cheers, h.

Edit, not retentive either- the opposite whatever that is.

Yeah, I didn't say everyone...it's just an observation I've made throughout the years here...people in those kind of fields and similar tend to be very detail oriented and organized and a little OCD about certain things (i.e. anal retentive)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Geek.

Geek.

I'll allow it...

The math really isn't even that hard though. I'm a stay at home mom with an English/political science degree and I can't even help my 6th grader with her math homework. Somehow I still figured out CICO and lost 50lbs. If I can do it, then everyone can do it :p

No, the math isn't hard at all...when I'm talking about people in those fields and similar, I'm not really talking about the math...this is about as simple from a math standpoint as you get...but typically people in those fields and similar like data...they're a bit OCD in analyzing such data and other things...they like keeping ledgers and spreadsheets for everything...they tend to be very detail oriented and analytical, etc.

Anyone can do this for sure...the math is super easy...but I think in general there's a certain type of personality that does well with calorie counting in particular...it's definitely not for everyone which is why there are so many different diet plans out there...for a lot of people, those are easier even though CICO is still in play whether they know it or not.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Geek.

Geek.

I'll allow it...

No, the math isn't hard at all...when I'm talking about people in those fields and similar, I'm not really talking about the math...this is about as simple from a math standpoint as you get...but typically people in those fields and similar like data...they're a bit OCD in analyzing such data and other things...they like keeping ledgers and spreadsheets for everything...they tend to be very detail oriented and analytical, etc.

Anyone can do this for sure...the math is super easy...but I think in general there's a certain type of personality that does well with calorie counting in particular...it's definitely not for everyone which is why there are so many different diet plans out there...for a lot of people, those are easier even though CICO is still in play whether they know it or not.

I thrive on numbers. I enjoy them. I make spreadsheets for the heck of it and calculate my yearly deficit every new year. I could easily use guesstimates for some stuff without much worry, but I highly enjoy the process of getting as close enough of a number as possible just because I want to. There might be something to your theory there..
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

Geek.

Geek.

I'll allow it...

This is what I was talking about in my first post in this thread. CICO loving arguers are stuck in the same crude gear arguing on a nonargument. As someone else put it...majoring in minor? Trolling? :)

There's no argument from me re CICO. I have no problem or misunderstanding with it. Nothing complex about it. I just don't care for the jargon. It's crude as a term used for describing something. "Eat less, move more", "Eat less, exercise more" are better language, but none of these, CICO included, is significant a piece of info. or any real revelation for me.

It would be million times better if someone posted new insights, ways to make dieting better, more effortless, even that would only help a handful of people... That would be worthwhile.
This discussion has been closed.