Another sugar/carb question

Options
I am well aware that I can eat whatever I want in moderation and still lose weight. I get that. My question is: Does anyone else find it hard to stay within their calories after they have eaten anything with sweet or white carbs (breads pasta, pizza etc.) For me I have noticed if I stick to whole grains, meats and vegetables I am better able to go about my day without overeating. The moment I eat anything outside of the foods mentioned above I am on a downward spiral to overeating. I know that high protein food will keep me fuller longer. Is this my imagination and does anyone else have this problem.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It seems like alot of people find eating food higher in protein and fat help them feel fuller longer. Personally, if I eat just carbs it doesn't last me very long, but something like pizza I usually do fine with. Reflect on your food choices and how they make you feel and figure out what works best for you. There is no one food fits all.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's important to get sufficient nutrition - if you don't, you will feel something is missing. Some foods are easy to overeat because they are too easy - very easily available, very appetizing/rewarding, easy to eat, easy to digest, and also calorie dense. Some people are more susceptible to easy food than others and more sensible to nutritional deficiencies than others, and have to take more care with their nutrition. I can eat some easy food, but I base my intake on ordinary whole home cooked food.
  • rhbell13
    rhbell13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing. I'm no expert and I'm sure there are lots of theories out there. Sugars and flour start digestion in the stomach, being broken down by yeast. A by-product of this process is a chemical that goes to the brain that gives you a good feeling. This good feeling becomes a craving... and that pizza becomes history. lol
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If I eat any processed sugar or flour products, I totally overeat. Even a bowl of corn flakes triggered this a while back. Carbs, in their whole dorm, do t trigger this but refined carbs definitely do. That's just me though
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    I'm also REALLY hungry the next day. Last night I had baked potato with veggies and salad and woke up this morning starving. Same if I have a pasta dish.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I had a hard time keeping my cravings at bay while eating a higher/moderate carb diet especially when it came to sweets. I switched to a low carb diet and seem to be doing much better on it

But is this a temporary solution? What I mean is when you get to your goal weight you will want to maintain your loss.....is low carb forever going to be a lifestyle change? Because "something" needs to change or you will be one of the 90-95%'ers that gain all the weight back.

Have a maintenance plan in place before you get there.

Elimination diets don't work for me. I've lost weight a couple times. This time I don't cut anything out that I won't cut out forever.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I don't... But I plan my food and know that's what I have to eat, there's no urge to eat more afterwards. Perhaps I just plan well? Also, If I eat that stuff, it's usually dinner time and I have generally fasted most of the day.

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I'm the same....except adding in fruit works well for me. I feel most on track and the scale moves best when my calories come from veggies, fruit, protein, and some whole grains. Healthy fats are in there as well. I have been craving chocolate in a big way the past month or so and am still negotiating how to fit it in with my daily calories and not go overboard. I'm trying to set myself up for long term success!
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the advice. It's to know that I am not the only with this issue. I don't want to cut these things out forever but if I don't get a handle on it I am never going to reach my goals. I need to figure how to eat these things without overeating them.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am "triggered" by sweet foods. It becomes very difficult to moderate my caloric intake once I've had sugar and refined grains... Even too many healthy carbs like veggies will trigger over eating in me, and it is always overeating in carbs.

I eat LCHF and have for a few years, and I plan to doso for life. It improves my health and helps with controlling appetite and cravings.

LCHF is my maintenance plan and it was my losing plan. High to moderate carb is/was my gaining plan. ;)
  • Blizaine
    Blizaine Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to think I had a food addiction. I would easily over eat and had a hard time staying in a deficit to loose fat. I would take diet suppressants and they wouldn't work. But really, what I had was a carb addiction. I completely removed all forms of carbs and sugars from my diet about 4 years ago. Now, I longer crave them at all. The cravings stopped after about 2 weeks. And you get the added benefit of high steady energy all day (no afternoon crash because of large swings in glucose and insulin levels), and much higher mental clarity all day (because of the natural ketones your body produces, that your brain LOVES). Let alone the fact that you are never hungry, because of the high satiating effects of Protein and Fat, and the fact that your body is using stored fat as fuel all day long.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time keeping my cravings at bay while eating a higher/moderate carb diet especially when it came to sweets. I switched to a low carb diet and seem to be doing much better on it

I am totally the same as you. I can't keep to any calorie goal if I allow myself a SAD carb level. Tried it and failed many times.
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    blizaine wrote: »
    I used to think I had a food addiction. I would easily over eat and had a hard time staying in a deficit to loose fat. I would take diet suppressants and they wouldn't work. But really, what I had was a carb addiction. I completely removed all forms of carbs and sugars from my diet about 4 years ago. Now, I longer crave them at all. The cravings stopped after about 2 weeks. And you get the added benefit of high steady energy all day (no afternoon crash because of large swings in glucose and insulin levels), and much higher mental clarity all day (because of the natural ketones your body produces, that your brain LOVES). Let alone the fact that you are never hungry, because of the high satiating effects of Protein and Fat, and the fact that your body is using stored fat as fuel all day long.

I am glad that that all worked for you, but I think you are generalizing the effects of a Ketogenic diet when everyone is different. I continue to eat sugar and about 50% carbs while keeping fat to about 25%. I have steady energy all day while also staying mentally clear; I can assure you that my brain functions perfectly without the "natural ketones" from a LCHF diet. I also found that Carbs are the most satiating thing to me allowing me to not overeat when in a cut. Again, I am certainly happy you found what is working for you, but eating LCHF is not a magical key to a better living.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    blizaine wrote: »

1) The brain does not 'love' ketones. The human brain subsists almost exclusively upon glucose, which has to be synthesized from fatty acids if there is not sufficient glucose present in the body. No matter how "fat adapted" one becomes, it does not change the fact that the brain requires glucose to function.

2) Your body uses both dietary fat and stored fat as fuel regardless of the macro composition of your diet. Fat is burned in a greater proportion while at rest or during low-level activity, whether you're eating a keto diet or not. Keto is not magical.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I'm also REALLY hungry the next day. Last night I had baked potato with veggies and salad and woke up this morning starving. Same if I have a pasta dish.
    Just like me.

I'm finding moderately high protien and more fat has helped me, but I still stuggle with hunger if I am in even a low deficit of calories below my TDEE to be honest.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not the only one. There are whole eating plans that are designed or promoted to deal with this problem. Aside from the ketogenic ones, which I've never tried, are low-glycemic diets like the DASH and South Beach diets. Both of them were designed to address blood pressure or cardiac problems, but people noticed they had other good effects including reduced food cravings and greater satiety.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Honestly making this change is what's finally clicked. With less carbs and not having them be the center of a meal, I have way more food volume and more satiated foods, and have not been hungry all week since boosting my protein goal. I have a one scoop protein coffee on my way to work, whole egg/egg whites with ketchup for breakfast, chicken breast with cucumber and vinegar for lunch (vinegar is my new favorite condiment), then my dinners are veggies first then protein.

I totally get why it's hard to do and why I never could just go from a carb heavy day to dieting the next day. For me carbs fuel cravings for more carbs. I'm more interested in a balanced diet and hitting my protein goal. The end of the day I'm usually so full and truly satisfied I'm not going to the fridge before bed anymore. It hadn't been putting me over my calories to have a yogurt or a packet of Oatmeal before bed, but knowing I'm actually fully satisfied and don't even want to snack makes me feel like I'm on the right track for myself.