Females on birth control- has it affected your weightloss?

Options
Just curious what BC your on and if/how it has affected your weightloss ! Thanks :)

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena during my initial weight loss and I've maintained while on Ortho-tri-cyclen. Neither impacted my weight loss.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I gained a metric butt ton of weight on a combination pill (by overeating)... and then lost more than what I gained while still on it. Switched to the Skyla IUD and I'm still losing as expected.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena placed September of 2015 and started on MFP February 2016- lost 90lbs while breastfeeding without issue.
  • lillyy23
    lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hell yes and since then it's been so hard to lose the weight I gained 60 pounds and almost 70 I think it slowed down my metabolism
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    The first time I went on BC (2005-2006), I gained about 10kg. I was ravenously hungry. I wasn't tracking at the time, so I have no idea how much I ate, but I know I ate too much. I had to stop this particular BC because it was messing with my blood pressure (no fun passing out in the middle of a combat at fencing because your BP goes 'bye bye, I'll be down in the basement for no other reason than I want to).

The second time I went on BC (about a year after the first attempt), I gained about 10kg. I was depressed and my cure was food. I wasn't tracking at the time, so I have no idea how much I ate, but I know I ate too much. I had to stop this particular BC because it was messing with my head (suicidal thoughts anyone?)

This time (started again in November 2016), I lost 3kg since starting. I am ravenously hungry at the worst of times (as in, I could gnaw off my arm), but since I'm tracking my intake, I have a pretty good idea of how much I can eat and still, at the very least, maintain. Now that I'm slowly bringing my hunger back under control (took me almost 6 months), I am losing again as predicted.
  • 24clouds
    24clouds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    On combined pill marvelon
    Lost 6 stone 10 years ago on it
    Put it all back on after 2 kids
    Currently lost 4 stone on it and plan to loose more
    I actually gain when not on it!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    I have gained weight every time I've gone back on the pill after a short break, but that's down to increased appetite, but I have also lost weight whilst on them in the past, I could easily have eaten less calorie dense foods to fill me up, but instead I chose not to.

My most recent weight gain last year, I was on the non-hormone coil, so I can't blame it this time lol
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I put on a ton of weight on Marvelon through being inactive and undisciplined - nothing to do with the pill. I lost weight on it, switched to Zeletta (mini pill) and have kept it off. BC is easier to blame than a slice of cake over the limit!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite, I've been on the combined pill for over a decade (not just as contraception but for hormonal reasons), but my doctor took me off it after a few migraines as a precaution since it is linked to blood clots and I'm in my mid 30s.

During the year I was pill free I put on weight, basically anything that does a number on your hormones may lead to some unwanted weight gain if you're not paying attention, if you're keeping a food diary on MFP you should be able to adjust though if your metabolic rate changes slightly and you notice you're losing slower, just keep an eye on it.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena and gained 30lbs. The Mirena itself did not make me gain weight, but it affected my mood so much that I binge ate a lot, and I was physically hungry a lot more. I had it removed in late November, and I've lost 21lbs since January.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    For me, I got swelling in my face and really hungry all the time. I don't think I could have even eaten a healthy diet with that pill. It was like being on my period every day. It's easier for me to be off it. Just in terms of following the goals I set
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm on a generic daily pill, I think it's called Trinessa? I was on the pill when I gained weight, but I had been on it for a couple of years and was slim, so it's not the pill that's to blame. I lost weight on the pill as well, and I never felt as though it was 'harder' or I was 'struggling' because I was on bc.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Previously on Yasmin--gained weight because I ate too much, not because of pill. Lost weight because I ate less and exercised.

Now have Mirena (on my second one)--have gained weight while on it because I ate more than I was burning. Have lost weight though, too.
  • fiberopticjellyfishmfp
    Options
    I got mirena in February and it hasn't impacted my weight loss at all. I've lost 8 pounds.
  • m0mmymakeover
    m0mmymakeover Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was on Alesse 21 almost three years ago and I lost about 20-25 pounds after going on it. I was not doing anything to purposely lose weight at the time. However, after being on the pill for about 5-6 months I went off of it and gained about 10 pounds.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Curious about it too. I'm getting on the pill again because I have low iron anemia and heavy periods... also bad PMS symptoms (including crazy hunger) that are making it very hard to stick to my calories.

I'm really hoping it's not actually going to make things worse appetite-wise, but I guess I'll find out soon enough. I got to say, it irks me a little bit when people say that they didn't gain weight because of the pill, but because they ate too much... if the pill increases your appetite, yeah, it's because of the pill.
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It hasn't really for me. I was on the combo pill for 4 years and my weight stayed the same as before I was on the pill.
    Now I'm on the depo shot and have been losing weight.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I've been on Depo for over 12 years. When I first went on it, I lost 10 lbs because it made me so nauseous I couldn't eat. Fast forward, I gained 80lbs on a migraine medicine. But now that I'm off of that, I've been losing weight just fine. So it never impacted me in that way.
  • AmandaEdwards1
    AmandaEdwards1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena placed in August of last year. Since then I have gained about 15 lbs. Ugh. I am now attempting to reverse that damage and then some.