At what point did you decided you needed to change?

Options
124»

Replies

• Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I was a skinny kid/young adult. Became a mom at 21 I was 120lbs. (After gaining 10lb freshman lbs). 3 kids later I was 37 and 160lbs. I started being around women that were smaller than me and I wanted that for myself. I yearned for a slimmer body. Learned about MFP and I have 15lbs to my goal. I know it sounds vain but it's my truth.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    When my long term relationship almost ended. It would have been a second one for me. First my marriage, then the relationship I have with my now fiancé. I decided then I needed an over hull. I had let myself go so far that it gave off the air of complacent. I quit trying in every way, especially weight. So I made a choice and now not only am I loosing the weight, I look, feel and act better then I have on years.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I am post menopause, have fibromyalgia and I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis about 14 years ago.

For the most part I have been able to maintain a healthy weight as an adult. I was heavy following the birth of my daughter (183 lbs) and through exercise only (a rowing machine and sprinting) I was able to get below 140 lbs. within a year of starting. And, I was able to keep the weight generally between 145-150 lbs. until menopause. Over time, the weight crept up to about 163, then 170 and then... gads 183... and finally 190. I carry my weight well so, my clothing sizes didn't increase by much until the last year or so. I had size 12 to size 14 suits in my closet and I buy them on eBay based on waist size inches ... so size is not really relevant in the US to gauge how obese one is because sizes are just a number.

I am going on my 6th year working as senior level manager in executive administration. It is a highly politicized environment and very stressful. Until recently I worked "balls to the wall" and pulled many 10 to 12 hour days, getting up only to go to the bathroom, attend meetings or walk to and from my car.

As a result of the work stress / sleep deprivation (I am at my desk at 6:00 am) I began to eat more and measured my stress level based on the number of Charms blow-pops I ate at work (in the place of smoking). Also, I began to eat more frequently in the cafeteria (the walk was counted as "exercise") and used to add carbs (fried rice and drunken noodles are my favorite) to my "salads" and I would treat myself once a week to the best steak fries and chicken tenders I have ever had (from a tiny hole in the wall eatery). Carbs are my comfort food. At home, I regularly added rice, potatoes and pasta to the meals that I was cooking. I found a great recipe for refrigerator pizza dough so I would make a 12” personal size pizza and eat half of that for dinner and take the other half for lunch the next day.

This time last year I was reassigned (the chief executive brought in his friends -- happens all of the time in government) and while I was still getting paid the same, my position in the pecking order now is way below what I was used to and at that point I decided that I didn't have to prove anything to anyone, so I gradually cut my hours back, "due to heath issues". The sad part was I don't think anyone noticed.

Suddenly, I was going home at the end of 8 hours, which just happens to coincide with the beginning of open "Express Lane" traffic control, so, now I can be home in less than 20 minutes. Not being in bumper to bumper traffic for 30 to 45 minutes twice a day every day, helped my stress level a lot. (I actually just call in to late afternoon meetings, which since the advent of tele-work is mighty convenient.)

Also, my daughter got married and left the country to live with her husband (an American who teaches abroad). She and I were always very close; and in the space of several months, she was married and then far away... she also left most of her stuff at my house and it's still sitting where she left it because I just don't have the energy to deal with any of it.

All of the women in my family died obese, with a myriad of health problems relating to disease after menopause; heart failure, diabetes, stroke, etc. This last October we buried my oldest (and "best") cousin, whose health followed in the footsteps of our grandmother, and, her mother. She was my mentor and my friend. I had to buy a sized 16 (37 inch waist) suit for the funeral and I realized then that I needed to do something to save my own life.

So, with that being the wake-up call... I began my journey on Calorie Count (which had a way better API platform, IMO) and switched to MFP in this past January when CC announced that it was closing down in March. So far I have been compliant about 75% to 80% calorie-wise (1400 calories) and I have found that the Paleo / Ketogenic meal plans (45% protein, 40% fat and 15% carbs/sugar) are helping immensely. I am generally not hungry and I don't crave sweets or carbs. To date, not counting what I lost in November and December on Calorie Count, I have lost 23 pounds. I don't weigh myself that regularly and rely more on which clothes fit.

When I can comfortably fit into size 12 clothes with a 32" waist I will declare success. The goal is to do this with meal management so that I can maintain this for the long term.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've always been obese, even as a young child. And since both my parents had Type II diabetes, along with my grandmother and grandfather on both sides of the family, I knew I was in for it. However, with a moderate diet and exercise, I was able to keep my blood sugar numbers in check...until the end of 2016. My fasting blood sugar numbers started to spike up to 155, then 195, and my A1C jumped to 6.8. I was terrified of getting on insulin at my age, with my high deductible health insurance that wouldn't cover the cost.

So I got back onto MFP, cut my carbohydrates, and started counting calories. I started at an allowance of 1900 calories a day for a month. There was no weight loss. So I switched my stats to "sedentary," giving me the 1630 calorie allowance and cut carbs even more. I started to see slow improvement. However, it was until after I started adding fat (all kinds of fat) to my diet that I noticed a marked improvement in weight loss (actual weight loss) and my blood sugar numbers. Normally I diet for about 4 or 5 months at the beginning of the year, lose a tiny bit of weight, then return to regular eating. But I'm sticking with this for the long haul, because I'm really tired of worrying about my blood sugar and my weight. And, frankly, this is the easiest and least restrictive diet I've been on for awhile.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I can no longer wear my cute size 2 and 4 clothes and had to bring out my fat girl, size 6's. Losing weight is cheaper and easier than buying new clothes and feeling awful about my size.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Realizing I either needed to lose weight or buy new clothes. I've always been close to the same weight in my adult life - between 145 and 155 somewhere. Then I had a couple kids, so two pregnancies, with a lengthy period of breastfeeding (over 4 years straight). That meant I could eat whatever I wanted and stay the same weight. It was lovely. Then I stopped breastfeeding, and without an adorable little leech siphoning off a few hundred calories, I started gaining. Then I started drinking a bit more beer, and gained a bit more. And finally it was get my life straight or buy a new wardrobe time, so I decided to get my life straight. And here I am. I'm down about 15 lb since Jan 1, and my clothes fit. If anything, I may have to buy some jeans down a size when I'm at goal (5 more lb).
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    after a year of exercising and not loosing weight. I decided watching what I eat needed to be part of my plan. MFP has been the answer.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    About age 11 when model Twiggy became all the rage. It's been up and down ever since.
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was tired of yoyoing. I'm still in the army and we have to meet weight standards or body fat. I got to where I'd be 5lbs over the max weight, do right before a weigh in I would crash diet to lose it, then just make it, and then not watch what I ate again. I never used to do that until after my 2ND child (who just turned 3 btw). I'm tired of it and I just want to be able to enjoy myself again. So I'm looking at getting to about 145 maybe 135, which would give me enough of a cushion. Plus, I miss all my clothes I used to fit into.
  • dracaene
    dracaene Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For me, it was when over the course of a month 3 different people asked me if I was pregnant, and my baby was a year old already!