Activity Level: Am I lightly or moderatley active?

Options
Hi everyone. I posted this question a while back, but I don't think I was clear when I asked because the responses I got didn't answer my question: based on the exercise I do every week, should I classify myself as lightly or moderately active?

As for what exercise I do, I go to Orange Theory 3-4 times a week. For those unfamiliar with Orange Theory, it is an hour long class that combines cardio (treadmill), strength training (weights), and rowing. They consider themselves to be HIIT.

So, based on going to Orange Theory 3-4 times a week, would you say I'm light or moderate?

Thank you guys in advance!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you're asking by MFP standards, you don't count the exercise you do as part of your activity level. It's based on your non-exercise activity and you log the exercise.

If you're asking by another set of standards, can you share the standard you're working from?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    On MFP, exercise doesn't matter because you are supposed to log it separately. Outside of MFP, you would probably be considered lightly active. To be active you would need daily exercise. To be very active you would need to have daily exercise plus a physically active lifestyle in addition to the exercise.
  • kaygold
    kaygold Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far everyone! To clarify, I'm not asking from an MFP standard, I'm asking from a TDEE standpoint.

Thanks again!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Pick one and run with it...make adjustments as necessary...it's all just an estimation anyway, and most of this is really about trial and error...these calculators only really suffice as a reasonably good starting point.
  • kaygold
    kaygold Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Pick one and run with it...make adjustments as necessary...it's all just an estimation anyway, and most of this is really about trial and error...these calculators only really suffice as a reasonably good starting point.

Thanks for the feedback! The thing is, I've been doing TDEE with success for the past 2 years, or just about. I had started out with the lighter activity, and dropped the weight. However, this year, my weight loss seems to be stalling, and I find I'm even gaining a bit. I'm a creature of habit so haven't changed much outside of working out more via orange, and adjusting the TDEE calculation based on my lower weight.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm stalling because I'm not eating enough in consideration of my updated exercise routine, but I'm a bit anxious (Its silly I know) to increase my cals since I'm gaining a bit here and there. Wondering if I should just stick with the light activity , and wait out this plateau.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    kaygold wrote: »

Thanks for the feedback! The thing is, I've been doing TDEE with success for the past 2 years, or just about. I had started out with the lighter activity, and dropped the weight. However, this year, my weight loss seems to be stalling, and I find I'm even gaining a bit. I'm a creature of habit so haven't changed much outside of working out more via orange, and adjusting the TDEE calculation based on my lower weight.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm stalling because I'm not eating enough in consideration of my updated exercise routine, but I'm a bit anxious (Its silly I know) to increase my cals since I'm gaining a bit here and there. Wondering if I should just stick with the light activity , and wait out this plateau.

How long have you been dieting...if it's been an extended period of time, a diet break is probably in order to reset hormones, etc. When I'm cutting weight I typically have a refeed one or two days per week at maintenance.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    kaygold wrote: »

Referring to the highlighted parts, above, I'm pretty sure that your weight loss is not stalling because you aren't eating enough. You've either hit a plateau that needs to be overcome, you're over estimating you calorie burn (either exercise or TDEE), or you're not accurately monitoring your intake. Seems like you should lower your intake, or increase your expenditure for a period of time.