Can't figure out my daily needs?

Options
I've read recently that you're not supposed to eat back the calories that you burn during exercise. I exercise 6 days a week, ranging from running, to HIIT workouts, to weight lifting. My goal is to lose 10 pounds. So would I set my activity level on here to "Active" and then NOT add in the calories burned from exercise? Or would I set my activity level on here to "Sedentary" and then ADD in the calories burned from exercise? I can't figure this out!!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's calorie goal, it's designed for you to eat back the calories burned from exercise. Choose an activity level that reflects your *non-exercise* activity, log your exercise, and eat at least some of those calories back.
  • HWIN_16
    HWIN_16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So let's say I go for a run. I burn 300 calories. Should I just maybe cut that number in half to 150, and add 150 back into my calories? That way I'm only eating some of the calories back, not all, and I'll still lose weight?
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You only eat back your calories if you're trying to maintain. If not, then no you shouldn't be eating them back. If you're trying to stay satisfied, just make sure you eat enough protein to last you through the whole day.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    If you truly burn 300 calories, you will lose weight if you eat all 300 back (assuming you're logging your intake correctly). The reason why people often eat less is that it can be tricky to determine how many calories you're actually burning. So if you wanted to start with 50% and then pay attention to your real life results (eating less than 50% if your weight loss is slower than expected, eating more if it is faster), then you'd be using a strategy that many here have used successfully.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    You only eat back your calories if you're trying to maintain. If not, then no you shouldn't be eating them back. If you're trying to stay satisfied, just make sure you eat enough protein to last you through the whole day.

No, you eat them back because you already have a calorie deficit built into your goal and not eating them back can easily have you undereating.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

This is not how MFP is designed. While some people do fine not eating back their exercise calories (like people who aren't very active), for more active people this is a recipe for burn-out, low energy, and hunger.

Assuming you are accurately estimating calories in and calories out, you will not maintain eating back your exercise calories. You'll still be at a deficit.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I only eat back about half of my exercise calories burned. I only have about 10 lbs to lose and I don't want to get "hangry" LOL