Grrrr! (a rant)

Options
How do I always end up being fooled by packages of food that contain more than one serving??? I just bought and ate a cookie partly as a reward for recent success and also because it appeared to only have about 250 calories. But when I logged it, I realized my error--the whole cookie has more than 500! Hopefully I'll learn my lesson this time, after I spend an extra hour on the the treadmill just so I can eat dinner!

/end rant

~Megan

Replies

• morrowsarah
    morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart!
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling - it is soooooo frustrating! Good luck with the treadmill :)
  • cherylwhite
    cherylwhite Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart!

Ha ha! Here in the south that fixes everything!! :-)
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Not to worry... you deserved it:wink: The more you log, the more you learn...
  • Masflz
    Masflz Posts: 7
    Options
    I've found that the more I stay away from sweets and carbs, the less I want them. But if I happen to eat some, it's enough to bring on a binge and it takes me a couple of days to get back to not having cravings. So I reward myself in non-food ways. YMMV/
  • crazyladym
    crazyladym Posts: 26
    Options
    i have serving size issues too, food companies make things confusing.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Grrrrrrrr..!!!! I agree, it can be so frustrating. I read labels now more than ever. I was craving Ravioli the other day (the chef boyardee kind) but when I looked at the label and saw that it had 2 servings and that one SMALL can was over 500 calories, I told myself, "No way!!" I can live without it, because I WANT TO LIVE!! I watched an episode of "HEAVY" the other day on A&E Network and they used this quote: "It is easier to eat 500 less calories than to burn it off" That is my mantra now. Good luck on your journey!! :flowerforyou:
  • ShannaB83185
    ShannaB83185 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Grrrrrrrr..!!!! I agree, it can be so frustrating. I read labels now more than ever. I was craving Ravioli the other day (the chef boyardee kind) but when I looked at the label and saw that it had 2 servings and that one SMALL can was over 500 calories, I told myself, "No way!!" I can live without it, because I WANT TO LIVE!! I watched an episode of "HEAVY" the other day on A&E Network and they used this quote: "It is easier to eat 500 less calories than to burn it off" That is my mantra now. Good luck on your journey!! :flowerforyou:

I also watch Heavy once in a while and that is a great quote!! And oh so very true :)
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    How do I always end up being fooled by packages of food that contain more than one serving??? I just bought and ate a cookie partly as a reward for recent success and also because it appeared to only have about 250 calories. But when I logged it, I realized my error--the whole cookie has more than 500! Hopefully I'll learn my lesson this time, after I spend an extra hour on the the treadmill just so I can eat dinner!

/end rant

~Megan

don't reward yourself with food. reward yourself with shoes. a shirt. hair cut. etc. cut the emotional attachment with food !
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    Funny story... my friend and I were at a farmers market and she bought this giant pre-packaged pickle that was in a spicy brine. I warned her of the sodium content, so we looked at the nutrition label. 580mg of sodium seemed high, but she really wanted it. She took one bite and spit it out because it was so salty. We looked at the label again and realized that ONE pickle contained EIGHT servings. That pickle contained 3 days worth of sodium. GROSS!

Needless to say, I pay attention to serving sizes on labels after that. :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

/end rant

~Megan

Megan..the answer is very simple. If you ever look at a large pack of cookies/chip[s etc, the nutritional information is almost always given as either 100g or smaller, and nVERY rarely by portion or pack size. This is due to a loophole that food manufacturers have to disclose the nutritional content. if they published numbers that reflected an accurate portion size, then no one would eat the trash they are selling, so the smaller the quantity they provide the information for, the more ' healthy' it seems. try this next time you are out grocery shopping.